husker70

Reaction score
Looking who could make the top 5

1. Blaise Andries OT 6'6" 280 from Marshall, MN
2. Eric Aobjei OG 6'4" 310 Robbinsdale Cooper
3. Nico Bolden OLB 6'4" 190 Woodbury
4. Jermaine Johnson WDE 6' 5" 220 Eden Prairie
5. Eric Rousenmiller OC 6'4" Lakeville South

Who will be the next Rashede Hageman? We desperately need your services.

I don't recall a kid from Marshall being recruited by the Gophers. Now, it will be two years in a row.
Maybe they can become our new Hutchinson.

Provided we don't have to redirect him off the field like Hageman.

Any amount of time it took re-directing Hageman was 100% worth it. He never got into serious trouble, he was dominant, became a top 40 pick in the NFL.

If I was told that we could sign a DT who would go on to be All Big 10, third team All American and a top 40 pick in the draft but that he might need a little help growing up when he was a FR/SO, i'd take it every single season.

Any amount of time it took re-directing Hageman was 100% worth it. He never got into serious trouble, he was dominant, became a top 40 pick in the NFL.

If I was told that we could sign a DT who would go on to be All Big 10, third team All American and a top 40 pick in the draft but that he might need a little help growing up when he was a FR/SO, i'd take it every single season.

I recall Hageman noting that not getting in actual trouble with him was a bit of luck though. Kill and Hageman got him straightened out, but something stupid could have happened and we could have lost him. Not every kid responds well / makes the right choices and gets back on track.

I recall Hageman noting that not getting in actual trouble with him was a bit of luck though. Kill and Hageman got him straightened out, but something stupid could have happened and we could have lost him. Not every kid responds well / makes the right choices and gets back on track.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think it's luck when a kid figures it out, just like I don't think it's unlucky for the ones who never figure it out. He put the work in, he got his academics in order and he kept his nose clean. Those were choices he made that guys like Jewhan Edwards never made.

I agree, not every kid responds, but when they do, it's not luck.

That said, Hageman is an elite athlete. Maxx and him were the two best players of the Kill era. His upside was so good that if I was told there was a 70% chance that a recruit of his potential would stay in school, I'd still sign him.

The staff's first in state offer for 2017 was to K Grant Ryerse from Eastview last summer.

This team needs him

http://247sports.com/Player/Grant-Ryerse-37107

I know there is an official Class of 2017 thread, but thought I would post on both. Attached is an updated link to the Class of 2017 (and 2018) top player list that I maintain on Gopherhole.com.

Not as talented group as 2016 right now, but definitely some talent in the state. The next 4-5 months will be interesting to watch.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/1426280-class-of-2017-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

I know there is an official Class of 2017 thread, but thought I would post on both. Attached is an updated link to the Class of 2017 (and 2018) top player list that I maintain on Gopherhole.com.

Not as talented group as 2016 right now, but definitely some talent in the state. The next 4-5 months will be interesting to watch.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/1426280-class-of-2017-minnesota-hs-football-recruits
I'm curious as to how you come up with the list. I just noticed a couple of kids I've heard of/seen play and frankly don't think the gophers will look their way.. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just curious!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to how you come up with the list. I just noticed a couple of kids I've heard of/seen play and frankly don't think the gophers will look their way.. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just curious!

I am pretty sure that's a list of all recruits that are from the state of Minnesota, not necessarily those that are just being recruited by the University of Minnesota.

As Word mentioned above, I track players from Minnesota that pick up recruiting activity from any D1/D2 schools. Gopher coaches are aware of top recruits in the state, but each year we will have a few players that will pick up multiple FCS offers which definitely puts them on Minnesota radar. Drew Hmielewski, Kamal Martin, and Connor Olson would fit that category. I was a little late updating the list this year, but many on the list are invited to Minnesota junior day. Plus the list helps the FCS schools identify the next tier of top recruits in the state and helps Ivy Leagues/Service Academies identify solid players with grades. Lastly I track former Minnesota preps that go the JC route as a handful end up with D1 offers after a year or two at a JC.

I almost have the Class of 2016 finished up after NSD two weeks ago. By far the best class I have seen in 15 years of tracking Minnesota preps.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/1200023-class-of-2016-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

As Word mentioned above, I track players from Minnesota that pick up recruiting activity from any D1/D2 schools. Gopher coaches are aware of top recruits in the state, but each year we will have a few players that will pick up multiple FCS offers which definitely puts them on Minnesota radar. Drew Hmielewski, Kamal Martin, and Connor Olson would fit that category. I was a little late updating the list this year, but many on the list are invited to Minnesota junior day. Plus the list helps the FCS schools identify the next tier of top recruits in the state and helps Ivy Leagues/Service Academies identify solid players with grades. Lastly I track former Minnesota preps that go the JC route as a handful end up with D1 offers after a year or two at a JC.

I almost have the Class of 2016 finished up after NSD two weeks ago. By far the best class I have seen in 15 years of tracking Minnesota preps.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/1200023-class-of-2016-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

That list is definitely impressive. By my count, 17 recruits are going to P5 schools. The status on Tyler Johnson should be changed from Minn offer to committed though.

Vames,

Thanks. I always look forward to your nice summations.

You are the man with the inside track into the State's talent pool.

I don't get that the U did not offer the speedster Amani Hooker, and with a need for DTs they never offered Jamahl Johnson. JoJo Garcia was their first choice, but he imploded with unforeseen transfers/graduation requirement issues until late in the game. By then, Jamahl have already committed to ISU. Was it potential admission issues, player profile, that kept them from offering Jamahl? Or where they only going to fill one DT slot in the 2016 Class?

JC Merrick Jackson was a coup to fill in depth and class balance I think. DTs don't grow on trees even in the Minnesota tundra.

For all the effort to lock down the borders, we let a few good ones get away. Disappointed that Matt Kegel flipped to Okie State, although I hear there is family ties to the school.

With the head coaching change, The Gophers are fortunate they did not have a huge blood-letting. Credit goes to Coughlin and his Empire Posse, and the Gopher Recruiters/Coaches for keeping it all together. We want players that want to be here.

For some, it seems like they were firm about going elsewhere - Kasl, Ramaud C-Bowman, and Spielman.

Is Tracey Claeys going to continue the outreach to outstate MN and the inner city schools like Coach Kill did? Previous coaches either didn't make valiant efforts to make inroads to develop and continue relationships with MN HS coaches, or they are oblivious to whatever talent we have instate that HS coaches end up funneling their players elsewhere. We don't want to miss out on the next Eric Decker.

Cretin seemed to be a pipeline for Notre Dame. I hope that there are cracks in that relationship.

Tracey Claeys will be tested in his ability to recruit instate soon enough.

Vames,

Thanks. I always look forward to your nice summations.

Thanks!

You are the man with the inside track into the State's talent pool.

Like many, I follow Burnsie, Goblirsch, and others as well. Plus I do get some inside scoops before them.

I don't get that the U did not offer the speedster Amani Hooker, and with a need for DTs they never offered Jamahl Johnson. JoJo Garcia was their first choice, but he imploded with unforeseen transfers/graduation requirement issues until late in the game. By then, Jamahl have already committed to ISU. Was it potential admission issues, player profile, that kept them from offering Jamahl? Or where they only going to fill one DT slot in the 2016 Class?

I think the Gophers waited on Hooker and were too late to the game for him. He had one heck of a year as a senior. Regarding Jamahl, I guess he did not impress at camp. Hard to overcome that evaluation even though he had a very solid senior season. And you mentioned below, Minnesota does not have many D1 defensive lineman.

JC Merrick Jackson was a coup to fill in depth and class balance I think. DTs don't grow on trees even in the Minnesota tundra.

For all the effort to lock down the borders, we let a few good ones get away. Disappointed that Matt Kegel flipped to Okie State, although I hear there is family ties to the school. Overall it was a very good season for shutting down borders.

With the head coaching change, The Gophers are fortunate they did not have a huge blood-letting. Credit goes to Coughlin and his Empire Posse, and the Gopher Recruiters/Coaches for keeping it all together. We want players that want to be here.

Coughlin definitely was key for holding class together. He has a bright future in what ever he does down the road!

For some, it seems like they were firm about going elsewhere - Kasl, Ramaud C-Bowman, and Spielman.

Yeap. I would agree.

Is Tracey Claeys going to continue the outreach to outstate MN and the inner city schools like Coach Kill did? Previous coaches either didn't make valiant efforts to make inroads to develop and continue relationships with MN HS coaches, or they are oblivious to whatever talent we have instate that HS coaches end up funneling their players elsewhere. We don't want to miss out on the next Eric Decker.

I sure hope so. I know Sherels covered Minnesota the past few years and did a great job. I think he might be picking up a new territory thought.

Cretin seemed to be a pipeline for Notre Dame. I hope that there are cracks in that relationship.

It has been five years now since last CDH player went to ND. Onuwalu. Other than Cornell, they have been a little light on D1 talent lately. Although if Bollinger can do there what he did at HM a few years ago, they may have talent to watch. Hopefully the U can tap into that talent.

Tracey Claeys will be tested in his ability to recruit instate soon enough.

Yeap! I agree. 2017 has some nice talent already. Landing some commitments will be key!

Top Bottom