The Rachel Banahm scored 60 points thread...because she deserves her own thread!

ESPN women player of the week? How about PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!

Same sport, different genders = separate record books.

Congrats to Rachel for tying the all-time women's single-game scoring record. Hopefully the men's team in the very near future can find a difference-maker like Rachel. All-American players don't fall out of trees, but somehow the Gopher women have had back-to-back seasons with one of those. ... and not the same player.

Same sport, different genders = separate record books.

Congrats to Rachel for tying the all-time women's single-game scoring record. Hopefully the men's team in the very near future can find a difference-maker like Rachel. All-American players don't fall out of trees, but somehow the Gopher women have had back-to-back seasons with one of those. ... and not the same player.

Although technically your right, this is about a players performance. I saw nothing on the men's scene that even came close.

Although technically your right, this is about a players performance. I saw nothing on the men's scene that even came close.

Yep, she's the real deal, has been since the day she stepped on campus. Hope they find a way into the NCAA tourney so she gets her just rewards. If Gophers get there, they will have earned it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Glad I watched todays game but having watched her over the past 5 years it is not surprising. She tied NCAA record today and willed us to win. I went to a women's pre-season party and had her sign a ball. I was smiling looking at that today. She was very gracious and it sounds like the Lynx may trade up for her. Rachel for All-American!

Rachel is up to #2 or #3 in the latest mock draft that I saw. To get her, the Lynx would have to move up 12 places. That's not going to happen.

Is the 60 pts a women's record, or women's and men's record?

I'll help you a little, 19, and won't even be a jerk and suggest you use Goggle search. I know Frank Selvy once scored 100 in a game. There was also a kid from Grinnell who got a ton of grief for putting up well over 100 in a game. That wasn't that long ago. I don't know what level the teams were. I also remember Pete Maravich having several really big games when I was growing up. Neat thing about Rachel's 60 were they came in a win and she didn't force the shots. Just a fun performance to watch. Has always seemed like a great person and the halftime feature and post game interview reaffirmed that.

That was a staggering performance. As others have mentioned, this didn't occur in a blowout game against a small time opponent. Banham came up huge in a game they needed against a team that was ranked earlier in the year. I know NW has poor B1G record but they have talent a couple very nice wins on their resume.

Rachel's shot is a thing of beauty. It's been mentioned that she is very strong and it really shows in her ability to hit those step back threes.

Where are you seeing this mock draft?

I was mistaken about her being a lottery pick, but a couple had her at 7 & 8.

I can't see her getting past Washington & Coach Thibault at 7. That means trading up 8 spots.

Doesn't the women's coach realize that when a shooter gets hot you sit them on the bench to cool them off. That's been working for the men's program all the way back to the Clem days.

I'll help you a little, 19, and won't even be a jerk and suggest you use Goggle search. I know Frank Selvy once scored 100 in a game. There was also a kid from Grinnell who got a ton of grief for putting up well over 100 in a game. That wasn't that long ago. I don't know what level the teams were. I also remember Pete Maravich having several really big games when I was growing up. Neat thing about Rachel's 60 were they came in a win and she didn't force the shots. Just a fun performance to watch. Has always seemed like a great person and the halftime feature and post game interview reaffirmed that.

But do you remember Bevo Francis? He had the record that the kid from Grinnell broke.

I remember watching a game on TV where LSU played Kentucky. Maravich had 64 for LSU, and Dan Issel had 51 for Kentucky in a losing effort. That was the age of offense in college BB, before Bobby Knight ruined all of the fun by playing defense.

Banham an the ladies have been a breath of fresh air in a rather desmil winter sports scene.

Doesn't the women's coach realize that when a shooter gets hot you sit them on the bench to cool them off. That's been working for the men's program all the way back to the Clem days.

lol - how true!

And, you have to sit more than 3 minutes a game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When is the next time the Men's team will see a player score even 40 in a single game?

Wow. Kobe chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

[emoji122]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

When did the NCAA add the three point shot?

I looked it up. It was added in 86-87, so Brown was able to make use of it. Bauman's 58 seems most impressive considering it was all 2-pters.

When did the NCAA add the three point shot?

I looked it up. It was added in 86-87, so Brown was able to make use of it. Bauman's 58 seems most impressive considering it was all 2-pters.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-02-17/sports/sp-3858_1_cindy-brown

A Cindy Brown game story. All two pointers and free throws.

SAN JOSE — Cindy Brown scored an NCAA record 60 points Monday night to lead sixth-ranked Cal State Long Beach to a 149-69 Pacific Coast Athletic Assn. women's basketball victory over San Jose State.

The 60 points by the senior forward broke the National Collegiate Athletic Assn. women's single-game record of 58 points set by Lorri Bauman of Drake on Jan. 6, 1984.

The 149 points scored by the 49ers also set an NCAA women's record, breaking the mark of 139 points by Grambling against Jarvis Christian on Feb. 12, 1986.

Brown made 20 field goals in 32 tries and 20 of her 22 attempts from the free-throw line. She had 32 of her points in the first half, which ended with Long Beach ahead, 80-29.

The 6-foot 2-inch Brown also had 13 rebounds and 7 steals.

Penny Toler added 23 points and had 10 assists for Long Beach, which is 13-1 in the PCAA and 23-2 overall

http://espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2286660

And for fun-Lorri Bauman gets 50 in the West Regional final as a top 25 moment in the first 25 years of the NCAA WBB tournament. However, it only mentions but doesn't break down the 58 point game against Southwest Missouri State:

Still, her 50-point performance in a losing effort against Maryland in the West Regional final in 1982 remains not only the NCAA Tournament single-game scoring record, but also one of the most memorable moments of the past 25 years.

Bauman already had set a tournament single-game record in the first round that season by making all 16 of her free throws in a win over Ohio State (a record since eclipsed by Tennessee's Bridgette Gordon, who sank 17 in a 1989 regional final). But the records just kept falling for Bauman.

The 6-foot-3 sophomore hit a single-game record 21 field goals on a record 35 attempts (60 percent) and hit 8-for-11 from the foul line as she scored 64 percent of Drake's points in the 89-78 loss at Stanford, Calif. Bauman, who also had five rebounds, played all 40 minutes without committing a single turnover. For her teammates' part, they combined to shoot 52 percent, or 12 for 23, from the field. But Maryland just made more.

"Everyone kept saying, 'You scored 50 points!' " Bauman recalled to the Des Moines Register. "But we lost, and that's the only thing I could think of."

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/hall-of-fame/single.php?id=439

Here's is an article on Bauman. It does say she made 27 field goals in the point game. It also notes Husker coach, Connie Yori scored the winning bucket against Bauman's team to win the 4-A High School title:

East was 25-2 the next season, and Bauman's career came to a bitter end. The state tournament went to a four-class format that year, and the Scarlets faced Ankeny in the Class 4-A final.

Connie Yori scored with 8 seconds remaining to put Ankeny in front, 67-66, in a classic contest. Neither team led by more than four points, and the score was tied 24 times.

Everyone knew that Bauman, who had already scored 42 points, would get the last shot. She saw an opening between two Ankeny guards and drove to the hoop. There was a collision as she shot with 1 second to play. The shot went in, but Bauman was called for charging

Top Bottom