Is passing accuracy something that can be coached?

Bingo

Somewhere in the world of sabermetrics a statistic of 18 attempts and 10 completions. Could, should include 18 attempts 6 drops 4 uncatchable. And you could also track the receivers, targets, catches, drops, and uncatchable. If you compile this over a year you have a better look at the problem. You could even keep a first half vs. second.

I also long for the days of receivers like Decker that would actually adjust and go get a ball. I haven't seen much of that from our receivers last year. It's frustrating to watch some other college QBs that basically just chuck the ball down the field and have receivers that just go get it.

Good points. I did see something years ago about how the NY Giants coach completely tore down Kerry Collins mechanics and had him work from scratch "new"/ proper mechanics. Along with that he went over how he went through progressions with 3 and 5 step drops. Then setting up/ stepping into the throw-IIRC. Wish I would have taped that. Being a former(read not very good) FB and Safety, I found it very interesting. Stuff I never knew/ thought of about a position I never played.

I'm sure there are success stories. Wait, Collins was a success? He did have a couple good years if I recall.

But look at someone like, oh I dont know, Aaron Rodgers. Coming out of high school and at Butte CC he held the ball down by his chest, elbows down. Tedford changed his motion to his preferred "on the shelf" posture, ball high up by his ear. It worked well enough, but in the NFL it seemed to hinder his deep ball accuracy so guess what, he went back to his old habit and the rest is history.

High school and Butte highlights
https://youtu.be/uwEcGnVI9PQ

Did you know Rodgers was originally committed to San Diego state and was told to look around after a coaching change? I cant recall the coach off hand...wow.

Did you know Rodgers was originally committed to San Diego state and was told to look around after a coaching change? I cant recall the coach off hand...wow.

Fun to talk about, but still an outlier.

Hmm.

http://wydailyarchives.com/2011/06/29/green-bay-qb-rodgers-visits-all-pro-campers-at-wam/

"'I didn’t have any expectations coming out of high school,' noted Rodgers, the star guest of William and Mary head football coach Jimmye Laycock’s Colonial All-Pro Camp, which ended yesterday. 'I was a realist. I wasn’t a great player yet. I knew that I had a lot of hard work between where I was at and where I wanted to be, at a big-time Division I program.'

Only one, Illinois, made an offer, as a walk-on. In a surprising move, Rodgers turned down the offer and decided to play at tiny Butte Community College, near his hometown of Chico, California."

Hmm.

http://wydailyarchives.com/2011/06/29/green-bay-qb-rodgers-visits-all-pro-campers-at-wam/

"'I didn’t have any expectations coming out of high school,' noted Rodgers, the star guest of William and Mary head football coach Jimmye Laycock’s Colonial All-Pro Camp, which ended yesterday. 'I was a realist. I wasn’t a great player yet. I knew that I had a lot of hard work between where I was at and where I wanted to be, at a big-time Division I program.'

Only one, Illinois, made an offer, as a walk-on. In a surprising move, Rodgers turned down the offer and decided to play at tiny Butte Community College, near his hometown of Chico, California."

If you watched the highlight video the announcers mentioned that he "signed" with SDSU, before being told to look around. So their information may not have been accurate...when has THAT ever happened?

The fact remains he probably got a look from many programs and was given a pass solely due to his height. He was a program- changer type of QB. That SDSU coach could have likely translated Rodger's ability into a P5 job instead of what actually happened: Riverside CC.

Definitely can be coached but I agree that game plan and play calling affected ML's completion rate last year. He did end up at 60% even with some pretty bad games. If he stays around what he did the last 4-5 games, he would probably land in the top 20 for passing efficiency.

When Mitch has struggled, his footwork has been awful. As he becomes more consistent with footwork, he'll become more consistent with accuracy. He has made some pro-caliber throws when he sets his feet and his arm follows his body.

Agreed. His back foot arm throws sailed every time. Wonder if the injury was causing that...although most happened with pressure. Better line play will help his accuracy a lot.

Top Bottom