Is passing accuracy something that can be coached?

frannyjunk

Reaction score
Asking mostly about Seth Green since TC mentioned how Green needs to improve his accuracy. But I suppose this would also apply to Mitch Liedner. So, for the football aficianados out there, is passing accuracy something that can be improved through coaching? Or is it simply putting the QB in a position so that said QB is more comfortable; i.e. if QB is not accurate when scrambling, then keep QB in the pocket.

I would think coaches can help with mechanics. Repetition is more likely to help one improve accuracy. Practice, Practice, Practice.

There are definitely things that can be coached but you can also develop game plans the play to a quarterbacks strengths. Coach Reed in the Bowl game came up with a plan, that empathized what Mitch did well, that resulted in an 80% completion rate. I wonder, how much of our previous struggles have had to do with game planning to an opponents weaknesses, rather than to our strengths.

Yes, you can coach those things. Steve Clarkson is viewed as an expert in coaching QB. Footwork, core movement and release point have a huge involvement for increasing passing percentage.

There are definitely things that can be coached but you can also develop game plans the play to a quarterbacks strengths. Coach Reed in the Bowl game came up with a plan, that empathized what Mitch did well, that resulted in an 80% completion rate. I wonder, how much of our previous struggles have had to do with game planning to an opponents weaknesses, rather than to our strengths.

The old plan of waiting until it is 3rd and 20+ yds to pass obviously didn't help the completion rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you imagine a pitcher without control....at the D1 college level. yeah me neither.

can you imagine a pitcher without control....at the D1 college level. yeah me neither.

Doesn't appear you watch much baseball. There are pitchers in D1, minors and MLB who have trouble with control.

You unintentionally made the opposite point that you were trying to make.

College baseball and minor league baseball is full of young pitchers with live arms who need to work on their control. It's often the last thing to arrive for some of these guys. They work on it with mechanics and repetition. In baseball, accuracy is definitely something that is refined and improved upon. It's more the rule than the exception.

I think the majority of improvements in QB accuracy as they get older has to do with the mental side; anticipating the throw/the receiver's position, what the defense is doing. I'm not sure a QB's mechanics can be significantly upgraded, although there are probably some success stories out there. Seems to me QBs can perform mechanically sound when well protected (or in a static situation like a baseball pitcher), but when the heat gets turned up we see them revert to their old, dirty habits they picked up as kids. Leidner does it. Cam Newton does it.

I'll take mental acuity and natural, effortless accuracy all day over arm strength or "measurables". For example, Kellen Moore was a phenomenal college QB. He was also under 6 feet. I'm interested to see if Demarcus Williams can make it at this level. If he can be accurate he looks to be the most athletic of the QBs.

As some have said you can definitely improve mechanics which helps you be more consistent. But as others have said much of accuracy has to do with the mental side in terms of deciding where the ball needs to be placed and also just a feel for the type of throw needed (on a line, with touch, with some air on it if the guy needs that extra second, etc) and then often a feel for just getting the ball off when the pocket isn't clean which I think is largely innate. I hate the Packers but Aaron Rodgers likes to throw with his feet off the ground like a jump shot which is something nobody would ever teach as proper mechanics

As some have said you can definitely improve mechanics which helps you be more consistent. But as others have said much of accuracy has to do with the mental side in terms of deciding where the ball needs to be placed and also just a feel for the type of throw needed (on a line, with touch, with some air on it if the guy needs that extra second, etc) and then often a feel for just getting the ball off when the pocket isn't clean which I think is largely innate. I hate the Packers but Aaron Rodgers likes to throw with his feet off the ground like a jump shot which is something nobody would ever teach as proper mechanics

Yep, the "naturals" can throw it standing tall, the can throw it laying down. They can throw it jumping in the air, they can throw it going to the ground.

The more Mitch passes the more accurately he passes. When he throws 10 times per game he is not very good. I would guess there are multiple possible reasons for it, but that seems true to me.

The more Mitch passes the more accurately he passes. When he throws 10 times per game he is not very good. I would guess there are multiple possible reasons for it, but that seems true to me.

It could be the other way around too. When he's off, we kind of quit passing.

Well another sport you don't understand.

This is a National Championship quality forum. Stop sucking and up your posting game.

Comfort level IMO.

I think anyone can improve anything with practice, particularly when young.

I do believe that great QBs either just are, or aren't going to happen. You can provide the practice and opportunity for that great QB to show up, but to some extent great QBs are just born, not created.

Yes, you can coach those things. Steve Clarkson is viewed as an expert in coaching QB. Footwork, core movement and release point have a huge involvement for increasing passing percentage.

When Mitch has struggled, his footwork has been awful. As he becomes more consistent with footwork, he'll become more consistent with accuracy. He has made some pro-caliber throws when he sets his feet and his arm follows his body.

I think the majority of improvements in QB accuracy as they get older has to do with the mental side; anticipating the throw/the receiver's position, what the defense is doing. I'm not sure a QB's mechanics can be significantly upgraded, although there are probably some success stories out there. Seems to me QBs can perform mechanically sound when well protected (or in a static situation like a baseball pitcher), but when the heat gets turned up we see them revert to their old, dirty habits they picked up as kids. Leidner does it. Cam Newton does it.

I'll take mental acuity and natural, effortless accuracy all day over arm strength or "measurables". For example, Kellen Moore was a phenomenal college QB. He was also under 6 feet. I'm interested to see if Demarcus Williams can make it at this level. If he can be accurate he looks to be the most athletic of the QBs.

spot on

Accuracy is given to few. The ability to hit a moving target is difficult. Adjusting to a route, rather than hitting the receiver were he was suppose to be is another level. The ability drill the ball between defenders, put air under it, throwing the long ball, a screen pass Throwing a receiver open you are talking elite. I continually post about the seven on seven drills. This is where a QB develops. Route trees, repore with receivers, and backs is all in the 7 on 7's and no one covers it. And that is what goes on afternoons and evenings from January through February and again all summer.

I think anyone can improve anything with practice, particularly when young.

I do believe that great QBs either just are, or aren't going to happen. You can provide the practice and opportunity for that great QB to show up, but to some extent great QBs are just born, not created.

Definitely agree that everyone's abilities have a cap of some kind on them. For example I could hire a coach and practice basketball everyday. I could get really good but I would never even approach the level of the guys in the NBA. The athletes that succeed are the ones that figure out how to best use and develop the talent they have.

Here is an explanation of the basic passing tree. As you will see it takes timing, a strong arm, and yes accuracy.

Accuracy is given to few. The ability to hit a moving target is difficult. Adjusting to a route, rather than hitting the receiver were he was suppose to be is another level. The ability drill the ball between defenders, put air under it, throwing the long ball, a screen pass Throwing a receiver open you are talking elite. I continually post about the seven on seven drills. This is where a QB develops. Route trees, repore with receivers, and backs is all in the 7 on 7's and no one covers it. And that is what goes on afternoons and evenings from January through February and again all summer.

Passing trees? Ahhh the good ole days! Wonder how much that is stressed now?

Regarding Mitch and the more he throws, the better he gets, I think he needs to get into a rhythm. Many backs are that way. They don't really get going till after 5 to 10 carries.

Of course it's taught and learned. You can't simulate college football at the HS level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passing Accuracy: no one has mentioned the other part of the equation - Receivers. Passing accuracy will get better when receivers have ownership of the ball and avoid drops.
I don't have the stats but it appeared to me the 2nd half of the season our passing efficiency percentage went up vs. the first half. All I'm saying is part of the passing efficiency is on the pass catchers too...

Passing Accuracy: no one has mentioned the other part of the equation - Receivers. Passing accuracy will get better when receivers have ownership of the ball and avoid drops.
I don't have the stats but it appeared to me the 2nd half of the season our passing efficiency percentage went up vs. the first half. All I'm saying is part of the passing efficiency is on the pass catchers too...

Bingo

Somewhere in the world of sabermetrics a statistic of 18 attempts and 10 completions. Could, should include 18 attempts 6 drops 4 uncatchable. And you could also track the receivers, targets, catches, drops, and uncatchable. If you compile this over a year you have a better look at the problem. You could even keep a first half vs. second.

Good points. I did see something years ago about how the NY Giants coach completely tore down Kerry Collins mechanics and had him work from scratch "new"/ proper mechanics. Along with that he went over how he went through progressions with 3 and 5 step drops. Then setting up/ stepping into the throw-IIRC. Wish I would have taped that. Being a former(read not very good) FB and Safety, I found it very interesting. Stuff I never knew/ thought of about a position I never played.

Top Bottom