Sunday Q&A: Gophers women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Q Not a lot of teams in the Twin Cities have been winning lately, but your team has won five of its past six. If any fans are hopping on the bandwagon, what's your message to them?

A I think one of the big things is we only have three home games left, and we have one of the most special players to ever wear a Minnesota uniform in Rachel Banham. I think people shouldn't miss an opportunity to see her in one of these final three home games. She's a rarity. Players like her don't come around that often.

Q Your overall record and Big Ten record [15-7, 7-4] are strong, but your RPI as of Friday is 101. That suggests there is a lot of work left to do. What does this team need to do to get back to the NCAA tournament?

A I'm not too consumed with the RPI at this point. It's about game-by-game, winning. Typically the magic number is 20-plus [wins]. … We're playing everybody, with the exception of one team, that's either around us or above us in the standings. It's a grand opportunity. We control our destiny at this point. That's how we'd like to keep it, and not put it in other people's hands.

http://www.startribune.com/sunday-q-a-gophers-women-s-basketball-coach-marlene-stollings/367943541/

Go Gophers!!

It's a shame more people don't attend the women's games. The.level of play is miles ahead of say 5 years ago.Ask your self this question. Which Gopher team is more fundamentally sound; the men or the women?. Who would you rather have at the free throw line; Banham, or McBrayer with the game on the line? There's two questions that should at least peak your interest in tuning the game in today
on BTN at 2:00. Oh, and they have a legit shot at the dance while the men's team has a very good chance of posting a goose egg in B1G wins.

It's a shame more people don't attend the women's games. The.level of play is miles ahead of say 5 years ago.Ask your self this question. Which Gopher team is more fundamentally sound; the men or the women?. Who would you rather have at the free throw line; Banham, or McBrayer with the game on the line? There's two questions that should at least peak your interest in tuning the game in today
on BTN at 2:00. Oh, and they have a legit shot at the dance while the men's team has a very good chance of posting a goose egg in B1G wins.

I have season tickets to both men's and women's BB. I like both for the different skills they feature. The women have to field a Final Four team to sell out where the men just have to be above average. Women need to support the women's team like they did in 2003-04.

"A. I think one of the big things is we only have three home games left, and we have one of the most special players to ever wear a Minnesota uniform in Rachel Banham. I think people shouldn't miss an opportunity to see her in one of these final three home games. She's a rarity. Players like her don't come around that often."

Not many more chances.

Remaining Games - TV Games Marked:

Thu., Feb. 11 vs. Nebraska * Williams Arena 7:00 p.m. CT

Mon., Feb. 15 vs. Iowa (Pink Game) * TV Williams Arena 7:00 p.m. CT BTN

Thu., Feb. 18 at Indiana * Bloomington, Ind. 6:00 p.m. CT

Sun., Feb. 21 at Michigan State * TV East Lansing, Mich. 12:00 p.m. CT BTN

Wed., Feb. 24 vs. Ohio State * Williams Arena 7:00 p.m. CT

Sun., Feb. 28 at Maryland * TV College Park, Md. 4:00 p.m. CT ESPN2

Top Bottom