Gophers Can't Complete Sweep, Lose to Penn State, 5-3

Reaction score
Two third-period goals helped Penn State avoid the weekend sweep and down the Gophers, 5-3.

Don Lucia
“Two words that come to mind to me are frustrating and disappointing. You leave it to fate there at the end and that’s hockey sometimes. For me, I thought we lost the game early, not late. We came back to tie the game and we had a good push the second half of the game I just didn’t like the way we played in the first period. I think we had four shots on goal 12 minutes into the game. That’s what was disappointing to me.”

Justin Kloos
“The first 10 minutes weren’t very good because we didn’t work. For the middle 30 [minutes] of the game we were pretty good. We worked hard, made stuff happen. We got opportunities in the third but we didn’t convert on chances. It’s the same old story, we’re a good team when we work hard and when we don’t we’re not.”

Three Stars
3 – Justin Kloos netted a shorty and added an assist.

2 – Luke Juha scored a goal and assisted on another.

1 – Zach Saar scored the game-winning goal for PSU.

By The Numbers
9 Straight games Justin Kloos has recorded at least one point.

4 Shorthanded goals for Kloos on the year, one away from tying the single-season school record held by Peter Hankinson (1989-90) and Steve Griffith (1982-82).

27 Games started for goalie Eric Schierhorn, every contest this season. The freshman made 24 saves against Penn State, including a handful of breakaway chances.

2 Points for freshman Tyler Sheehy who scored a goal and added an assist.

What’s Next
The Gophers travel to Columbus to battle the Ohio State Buckeyes. Friday’s game is slated for 5:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on BTN. Puck drop is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Another cool goal by Sheehy.

I couldn't figure out what Guy Gadowsky was so exercised about. He came out before the second period and intercepted the referees when they started their warm-up skate. The discussion continued for a couple of minutes and only ended when the teams hit the ice.

Kloos has been lights out. The rest of the team needs to start showing up

Top Bottom