Adam Weber on Seth Green: "He looks great...You can tell the guys like him."

The real question here is, is Green good enough to take the job for Leidner. Watching another year of horrendous throws from "Mighty Mitch" will do a number on my blood pressure. Clearly Croft is not the answer if he couldn't take the starting job from him in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait. . .people call him Mighty Mitch?

Are you really saying he wouldn't have been better, given an above average quarterback? Will you then tell me Leidner's school history rushing touchdowns from a QB is above average? 52nd in total QBR is mediocre and the eye test is even worse.

Eric Carter was a sophomore, not a freshman. But either way, part of it was because he got hurt. I also remember the offensive line having a lot of issues. To put it all on Leidner is ridiculous.

No, I am not saying that he wouldn't have been better with a better QB. But having the second most receptions in school history doesn't mean his "talent was wasted" either. I know it is tough for some people to understand this but some of those receptions were really good passes from Leidner. Hard to fathom, I know.

I'm not going to sucked into this argument again so I will leave you with this: Leidner is who he is. An average QB who can be inconsistent but has shown the ability to lead this team. The offense had issues last year and he was part of it. But the blame has to be spread around: OL just wasn't good, lack of 2nd WR stepping up, etc.

GetThatChiliHot
The real question here is, is Green good enough to take the job for Leidner. Watching another year of horrendous throws from "Mighty Mitch" will do a number on my blood pressure. Clearly Croft is not the answer if he couldn't take the starting job from him in practice.

Are you really saying he wouldn't have been better, given an above average quarterback? Will you then tell me Leidner's school history rushing touchdowns from a QB is above average? 52nd in total QBR is mediocre and the eye test is even worse.

Welcome to GH Mr Green.

Mitch is a decent B1G QB. He can manage the game. He can make some throws now and then, but he is not an elite QB. He can't make all the throws. He alone is not going to turn this team into a big time winner. However, if he is surrounded with the right personnel he could lead this team to Indy. He almost did a couple years ago, so it's not a far-fetched notion. Denver just won the Super Bowl following our basic formula for success. Play great defense, special teams and control the ball on offense. The flashy young QB got beat by the savvy old QB. I think Johnson will be a breath of fresh air to the offense. Limegrover was always trying to be the chess master and sometimes it worked and other times it did not. Mitch has started more than 30 games for us. The only way he doesn't start game one is if he can't recover from his surgery in time, which seems unlikely.

I can agree with that. Fair assessment. When he is bad, he is just SO bad. It gets me fired up and seeing guys like Green coming in gets me excited (maybe a tad unrealistically excited?).

I can agree with that. Fair assessment. When he is bad, he is just SO bad. It gets me fired up and seeing guys like Green coming in gets me excited (maybe a tad unrealistically excited?).

The most cringeworthy thing to me is when he realizes too late the pocket is collapsing and then gets sacked or worse fumbles or gets picked.

Green is exactly what i was hoping for in a QB recruit. Good arm, elusive and fast! We haven't ever had a QB that can boast all three of these attributes, that I can recall. If Seth can keep some plays alive or get in the open field on the QB keeper, the next few years are going to be a lot of fun. I take it for granted that he can throw with better accuracy than Leidner.

Nope. Accuracy is definitely not Green's strong suit. His completion percentages over his high school career:

FR - 55.6
SOPH - 52.8
JR - 54.8
SR - 56.3

And that was with him having the benefit of playing on some pretty dominant teams.

The only chance is if he was promised to compete for the starting role when recruited. You'd have to imagine something was said to sway him. Sure, Green's rankings were dropping, but plenty of other good offers. The hometown rationale is a joke. This past year's freshman receivers screamed potential and never got anything going, with the ducks being thrown at them. Painful to watch KJ Maye's talent wasted too.

Yeah? What committable offers did he have after Oregon dropped him?

OR didn't drop Green and when Green uncommitted it was a poorly kept secret that he was going to MN. Let's not act like no one wanted Green but MN.

To be fair, Oregon just wanted Seth to play another position. It was still a committable offer.

The most cringeworthy thing to me is when he realizes too late the pocket is collapsing and then gets sacked or worse fumbles or gets picked.

Happens to a lot of QBs- see Cam Newton

OR didn't drop Green and when Green uncommitted it was a poorly kept secret that he was going to MN. Let's not act like no one wanted Green but MN.

Green "de-committed" well before he was tied to Minnesota. This is from October 8th, after Justin Herbert committed to Oregon:

"Although Herbert's commitment would appear to indicate Oregon has three quarterbacks in its recruiting class, the Sheldon signal-caller said Green is no longer a Ducks pledge.

"I've been told he de-committed," he explained.

How do you know what was committable?

Well, he committed to Oregon in October of 2014 and was no longer committed about a year later. I presume his offer list might have changed a bit after a year.

Green "de-committed" well before he was tied to Minnesota. This is from October 8th, after Justin Herbert committed to Oregon:

"Although Herbert's commitment would appear to indicate Oregon has three quarterbacks in its recruiting class, the Sheldon signal-caller said Green is no longer a Ducks pledge.

"I've been told he de-committed," he explained.

This...

To be fair, Oregon just wanted Seth to play another position. It was still a committable offer.

I think it should be noted that a lot of the recruiting sites "offers" and "interested" teams are provided by rumor or the player himself.......

Having said that I'm not going to hold it against Green if Oregon went in another direction as far as QB and Green goes considering they're usually pulling in good QB prospects left and right. Looking at it one way or another isn't going to make him better or worse.

I prefer to dishonestly look at Green as a story along the lines: Stole a QB from a major program / kept a high profile local kid / stole a recruit out of the prospect rich Texas high school territory. ;)

Texas, Wisconsin, Iowa, Mich State, Pitt and Illinois were all still on the table as far as I can tell.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/190550/seth-green

http://247sports.com/Player/Seth-Green-33697/TimelineEvents

Really? How can you tell that? Because the recruiting sites never removed any of his offers after they became uncommittable? By that logic Dredrick Snelson could have chosen Alabama, Auburn, USC, Notre Dame etc. on signing day. Recruiting sites virtually never take off offers of a players profile if a school stop recruiting them or the offer becomes uncommittable. All of those offers listed became before he started his senior season in Texas, when Oregon dropped him at QB. Some teams like Illinois or Iowa may or may not have still taken him after he decommitted from Oregon but I can guarantee you the big ones like Texas, Louisville and Michigan State were not committable anymore.

It's a good thing we don't have a committed list for GH'ers. It would be a long one! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Green is exactly what i was hoping for in a QB recruit. Good arm, elusive and fast! We haven't ever had a QB that can boast all three of these attributes, that I can recall. If Seth can keep some plays alive or get in the open field on the QB keeper, the next few years are going to be a lot of fun. I take it for granted that he can throw with better accuracy than Leidner.

I like Green a lot, he's the best QB recruit we've had in a while. But two words I wouldn't use to describe him are elusive or fast. He has good presence in the pocket and knows when to escape, but he's not what anyone would call elusive in the open field. He also probably has about average speed for a D-1 QB.

And we are blessed to have him!

I like Green a lot, he's the best QB recruit we've had in a while. But two words I wouldn't use to describe him are elusive or fast. He has good presence in the pocket and knows when to escape, but he's not what anyone would call elusive in the open field. He also probably has about average speed for a D-1 QB.

We are blessed to have him in school!! He is now a Gopher! Who cares what offers he had or didn't have? We have a legitimate QB prospect!!!

Here's Seth outrunning the defense of 10-2 Marcus High School.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qV-vuEdyui4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know how elusive he is, but he looks like an absolute burner to me.

This is all I was saying about Green. He has talent, so you're damn right I'm excited to have him as a recruit.

That said, this is the progression that seemed to happen with Green:

-As a sophomore/junior, a bunch of pretty good schools lined up to offer a kid with excellent talent.
-He commits to Oregon
-During junior/senior years, it appears he is still quite raw (low completion %)
-Oregon "backs off" by recruiting 2-3 other QBs and asking him to play TE
-At that point, I'd assume most other schools on the offer list had the same scouting report and weren't chomping at the bit to get him even if they did have a QB opening.

Even if we were perennially a good team and didn't "need" Green, I'd take him on talent alone. I'm just hoping to not have the same "boy are we cursed" discussions when a guy like Jeff Jones that is a risk given most schools that wanted him backed off due to said red flags is a bust for whatever reason.

If he doesn't meet expectations, you know that the narrative will be "4-star Green who chose Gophers over Texas, Oregon, Wisconsin fails to meet expectations." Let's not do that.

Now let's hope he proves all of the other schools wrong and is a stud QB.

That was Green's list at the time of his commitment to Oregon. Those schools all had QBs commit to them between Green's commitment and de-comitment.

A lot of school's sign more than 1 QB.

Texas already had Buechele when they offered Green.
Wisconsin already had Lyles committed when Green committed to Oregon.

When they offered him, they certainly were wanting more than 1 QB in this class, you know that changed?

I have no idea what was still committable, but I really doubt you do either. If you're trying to read the tea leaves from looking at their eventual commitments, make sure you look at who also was committed at the time of the offer.

When they offered him, they certainly were wanting more than 1 QB in this class, you know that changed?

I have no idea what was still committable, but I really doubt you do either. If you're trying to read the tea leaves from looking at their eventual commitments, make sure you look at who also was committed at the time of the offer.

Wisconsin offered Green before they had the Lyles commit, though.

Texas offered Green on 2-18-15. Buechele committed on 2-23-15.

Lyles committed on 3-15-15. Green committed on 9-15-14.

I'm not the one who asserted: "The only chance is if he was promised to compete for the starting role when recruited. You'd have to imagine something was said to sway him. Sure, Green's rankings were dropping, but plenty of other good offers. The hometown rationale is a joke."

Here's Seth outrunning the defense of 10-2 Marcus High School.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qV-vuEdyui4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No doubt he looks fast in that video, but I bet you could find videos of half the power5 QB recruits who look just as fast. DeMarcus Williams looks just as fast if not faster imo on video. My point of reference for Seth is watching him play live for East Ridge, where I never saw him run for more than probably 15-20 yards. Regardless, being a burner is at the bottom of my list for what I want in a QB. Streveler was a burner...

Top Bottom