Adam Weber on Seth Green: "He looks great...You can tell the guys like him."

No doubt he looks fast in that video, but I bet you could find videos of half the power5 QB recruits who look just as fast. DeMarcus Williams looks just as fast if not faster imo on video. My point of reference for Seth is watching him play live for East Ridge, where I never saw him run for more than probably 15-20 yards. Regardless, being a burner is at the bottom of my list for what I want in a QB. Streveler was a burner...
You said he wasn't fast or elusive. He's clearly both of those things. It doesn't matter how fast DeMarcus Williams or Streveler is. Seth is fast. He's the 10th highest ranked "Dual-Threat" QB in the 2016 recruiting class. He ran for 865 yards and 10 touchdowns on only 99 attempts against some of the best teams in Texas.

What's intriguing about him are his tangibles: size, speed, and arm strength. That certainly doesn't guarantee anything but I think that is why people are excited about the potential.

From what I understand he's got superior athleticism, so yeah, it's nice to have players like that on board.

You said he wasn't fast or elusive. He's clearly both of those things. It doesn't matter how fast DeMarcus Williams or Streveler is. Seth is fast. He's the 10th highest ranked "Dual-Threat" QB in the 2016 recruiting class. He ran for 865 yards and 10 touchdowns on only 99 attempts against some of the best teams in Texas.

It absolutely matters because when you say a QB is fast you're comparing him to his peers: other D-1 QBs.

Seth might have the best size/speed combo in this class, maybe even better than CC. He demonstrated several times this year that he is capable of outrunning Texas 6A safeties from powerhouses like Desoto on numerous 40+, 50+ or even 60+ yard runs. He is faster than what Demry, Poljan, DRM and even Demarcus Williams ever showed in their highlights and thats despite playing at 6-4, 215-225 pounds. Looks faster than other 2016 targets too like Howard, Josh Jackson and Sawer Smith. I agree that others are more elusive than him though.

It absolutely matters because when you say a QB is fast you're comparing him to his peers: other D-1 QBs.
Not sure either Streveler will ever be considered a D-1 QB considering his San Jose State performance. You said yourself that you think Green is probably faster than half of all Power 5 QB recruits. That makes him fast. Period.

Not sure either Streveler will ever be considered a D-1 QB considering his San Jose State performance. You said yourself that you think Green is probably faster than half of all Power 5 QB recruits. That makes him fast. Period.

Streveler was in fact a D-1 QB and I said Seth has average speed for a D-1 QB. He's without a doubt our best QB recruit in quite a while and I'm thrilled he's here. But if you're expecting to see him break off multiple 50 yard touchdown runs while making 3-4 guys miss, you'll probably end up disappointed.

Streveler was in fact a D-1 QB and I said Seth has average speed for a D-1 QB. He's without a doubt our best QB recruit in quite a while and I'm thrilled he's here. But if you're expecting to see him break off multiple 50 yard touchdown runs while making 3-4 guys miss, you'll probably end up disappointed.

He's definitely an above average athlete for D1 QBs. Now there are schools that use their QBs as runners as a base of their offense and that's a different story but for QBs expected to throw he's definitely better than most. The only QBs we played that were better pure athletes were Boykin, Barret and possibly Armstrong

Green has adequate speed but he runs like a big WR/athletic TE to me. His Nike 4.83 40 seems about right. He doesn't have really quick twitch moves and his "football speed", or change of direction ability isn't that impressive. Once he gets a head of steam, like Leidner, he will be a load to bring down. I guess it depends on the kind of player you like, a locomotive or more of an electric-type like Williams.

Of more concern, maybe to only me, is despite playing in a QB-friendly pure spread with 4 WR sets on the best team in Texas (with presumably decent receivers and an elite O-line) his completion percentage was in the mid 50s while his teammate Jonke was in the 60s.

Time will tell on him. Obviously we all want him to do well. Johnson will make his assessments on who will have the best success in his system, whether it's Croft, Green, or William, or the next 2017 QB recruit.

Given the recruiting profiles, I'd take Seth over Mitch, obviously. How many tomatoes will be thrown at me if I compare them as very similar to one another? Starting out inaccurate, 6'4" 225, decent speed but not an elite open field "runner" as listed above. I'd guess Seth wins the arm strength/zip as a freshman.

The real question here is, is Green good enough to take the job for Leidner. Watching another year of horrendous throws from "Mighty Mitch" will do a number on my blood pressure. Clearly Croft is not the answer if he couldn't take the starting job from him in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank god for Ryan Burns and The Gopher Digest! At that site you can get real information and discussions instead of the uniformed whining that you spew out.

Green

Thank god for Ryan Burns and The Gopher Digest! At that site you can get real information and discussions instead of the uniformed whining that you spew out.
A QB is as good as his offensive line and his team's defense togive him the chance to make plays.

I think the solution to your annoyance is very clear.

The only chance is if he was promised to compete for the starting role when recruited. You'd have to imagine something was said to sway him. Sure, Green's rankings were dropping, but plenty of other good offers. The hometown rationale is a joke. This past year's freshman receivers screamed potential and never got anything going, with the ducks being thrown at them. Painful to watch KJ Maye's talent wasted too.

Wow, swing and a miss on both your comments. Go look at ML's numbers for last year. Given some horrible games early on, that he finished at 60% is very respectable. Last half of season was very good. Those receivers dropped some very well thrown balls during that stretch as well. Until last year, KJ Maye was not a consistent performer.

As for the hometown angle, it always garners hyped comments, especially when it is QB related. Green is the best MN QB prospect in many years and he's coming here. If he matches the consensus opinion on his talent, this could change how other highly rated skill position players from MN look at the U. Let's let him actually practice and maybe play before we pass judgement.

Kill and Limegrover leaving likely opened the door for Green. He was promised to compete for #2 in 2016 and #1 in 2017. That's pretty intriguing for any recruit.

Oh look. Another QB our coaches can hype up.

I'm picturing this dude sitting in his hotel room in New Orleans on GH because it's raining on the Mardi Gras parade he planned to attend today.

Wow, swing and a miss on both your comments. Go look at ML's numbers for last year. Given some horrible games early on, that he finished at 60% is very respectable. Last half of season was very good. Those receivers dropped some very well thrown balls during that stretch as well.

Mitch had a knee brace on from TCU through Northwrstern and when that came off he really, really improved in my opinion.

Mitch had a knee brace on from TCU through Northwrstern and when that came off he really, really improved in my opinion.

Keep your opinions to yourself.

Top Bottom