Former Gophers Tony Dungy elected to NFL hall of fame

gophersfan

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dungy - Well respected definitly deserving!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Definitely well deserved. Congratulations Tony Dungy.

Go Gophers!!

Word on the street is that Dungy's getting in was nothing but a PC move? Did he really deserve it?

In all honesty, Dungy probably didn't deserve it. Quite a bit easier getting in the NFL hall than it is in the MLB hall.

Word on the street is that Dungy's getting in was nothing but a PC move? Did he really deserve it?

He won a total of 149 games as head coach (reg. season and playoffs), was on two Super Bowl champion teams both as a player and head coach (XIII and XLI), was part of constructing Tampa Bay's Super Bowl champion team, and was innovator of the Tampa 2 defense with Monte Kiffen that is widely employed throughout the NFL.

Those are HOF worthy accomplishments if you ask me.

He won a total of 149 games as head coach (reg. season and playoffs), was on two Super Bowl champion teams both as a player and head coach (XIII and XLI), was part of constructing Tampa Bay's Super Bowl champion team, and was innovator of the Tampa 2 defense with Monte Kiffen that is widely employed throughout the NFL.

Those are HOF worthy accomplishments if you ask me.

149 wins is good but what makes him stand out was his winning percentage. One of the best in NFL history.

Word on that same street is that he is coming here to be AD. /s

He is 22nd in total wins and 9th in winning percentage amongst coaches with > 50 wins. He has more wins and a higher win percentage than several hall of fame coaches including Hank Stram, Mike Ditka and Bill Walsh. Add in his stints as an assistant, and I don't see how it's even debatable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_with_50_wins

Ok, I don't get it. Exactly why is electing Tony Dungy to HOF the politically correct thing to do?

Ah, memories of my dad screaming at Dungy from the Memorial Stadium stands.... still echoing in my head.

In all honesty, Dungy probably didn't deserve it. Quite a bit easier getting in the NFL hall than it is in the MLB hall.

There are 310 members of the MLB HOF, more than the 303 in the NFL HOF. MLB has existed for longer than the NFL, but there are also more than twice as many active NFL players than active MLB players at any given time.

There are 310 members of the MLB HOF, more than the 303 in the NFL HOF. MLB has existed for longer than the NFL, but there are also more than twice as many active NFL players than active MLB players at any given time.
Baseball hall of fame was also established 27 years before the NFL Hall of Fame.

Baseball hall of fame was also established 27 years before the NFL Hall of Fame.

Correct. My point is that saying it's "quite a bit easier" to get into the MLB HOF isn't backed by the data - if anything, it seems to be about equally difficult.

I give up, what's the connection?

No connection just saying if Moon's contribution's to football are hall of fame worthy, than Dungy is a worthy hall of famer. Moon was at best a slightly above average qb, Dungy was a very good to great coach. I mean if Warren Moon's in might as well put Doug freakin Flutie in too

No connection just saying if Moon's contribution's to football are hall of fame worthy, than Dungy is a worthy hall of famer. Moon was at best a slightly above average qb, Dungy was a very good to great coach. I mean if Warren Moon's in might as well put Doug freakin Flutie in too

I don't really get where you're coming from on this. Warren Moon was a far, far better NFL QB than Doug Flutie. On the NFL Career Approximate Value metric at Pro Football Reference, he's 36th all-time, tied with Terrell Owens, Randall McDaniel and Jason Taylor and ahead of many other no-doubt HOFers like Ronnie Lott, Deion Sanders, Aaron Rodgers, etc. It's also important to remember that it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of Fame, and Moon was an accomplished CFL player for several years before coming to the NFL. I've never heard anyone question Moon's HOF credentials - it's pretty bizarre, actually.

I don't really get where you're coming from on this. Warren Moon was a far, far better NFL QB than Doug Flutie. On the NFL Career Approximate Value metric at Pro Football Reference, he's 36th all-time, tied with Terrell Owens, Randall McDaniel and Jason Taylor and ahead of many other no-doubt HOFers like Ronnie Lott, Deion Sanders, Aaron Rodgers, etc. It's also important to remember that it's the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of Fame, and Moon was an accomplished CFL player for several years before coming to the NFL. I've never heard anyone question Moon's HOF credentials - it's pretty bizarre, actually.
I'll concede that Flutie is an actual bad comparison that was more for shock value, when was Warren Moon an elite QB. HOF to me is Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young, Montana, Favre, when was Warren Moon ever in their class? Also accomplished CFL player, that's like being an accomplished Korean League baseball player. If were going to honor CFL careers wouldn't that make the midget of BC's case even stronger?

I'll concede that Flutie is an actual bad comparison that was more for shock value, when was Warren Moon an elite QB. HOF to me is Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, Young, Montana, Favre, when was Warren Moon ever in their class? Also accomplished CFL player, that's like being an accomplished Korean League baseball player. If were going to honor CFL careers wouldn't that make the midget of BC's case even stronger?

What made a guy like Moon so valuable is that he was able to play well for so long. Kinda like Bert Blyleven in baseball.

Statistically he isn't that far off from guys like Kelly and Aikman.

When Moon retired, he held several all-time professional gridiron football passing records. He held the record for most pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and touchdowns, all of which have since been broken. Moon's passing yards record of 70,553 was surpassed by Damon Allen of the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts on September 4, 2006.[2] His mark of 435 total touchdown passes was topped by Brett Favre on November 22, 2007, when Favre was playing for the Green Bay Packers. Favre later topped Moon's career completion record on December 23, 2007,[3] and succeeded him as the quarterback with the most pass attempts in professional football history on December 14, 2008 when Favre was playing for the New York Jets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Moon

Let me guess, the name of the street is, Bias street.
Dungy's resume is better than some other coaches in the hall. If you want to argue the, bar is too low for coaches, that's an entirely seperate issue.

Why are people getting worked up about a post from February by a poster who hasn't been on here since then and is likely a troll?:confused:

Top Bottom