PiPress: U regent chairman: “It’s fair to give (Pitino) another year”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

University of Minnesota Board of Regents chair Dean Johnson has heard a lot from fans about their frustration over the Gophers basketball team’s winless Big Ten season under third-year coach Richard Pitino.

More criticism of Pitino came after Minnesota’s 12th straight loss Thursday, 82-58 at Northwestern. That sealed the Wildcats’ season sweep and recent domination over Minnesota after also winning by 25 at Williams Arena.

The Gophers (6-17, 0-11), who play host to Michigan on Wednesday, are off to their worst conference start since 1922-23.

There are some fans who want the U to make a decision on Pitino’s future after this season. But Johnson expects that, with no full-time athletics director and this being a rebuilding year, Pitino will be given until next season to prove himself with a better team after adding talented transfers and a top-20 recruiting class.

“(Interim athletics director Beth Goetz and University President Eric Kaler) receive the same kind of pressures and comments that we do,” Johnson told the Pioneer Press on Saturday. “But I think it’s fair to give Mr. Pitino another year of recruiting and working with the team. But if we find ourselves a year from now and things are about the same, then the fans and season-ticket purchases are going to get pretty vocal about the situation I’m sure. It’s always difficult to sell season tickets when you don’t have a winning team. I don’t care what university, what college or what sport. That’s just the way it is.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/0...hairman-its-fair-to-give-pitino-another-year/

Go Gophers!!

i am not ready to road kill Pitino and I want to see his 2016 recruits arrive. He deserves a chance to coach next years team. Mason, three-four freshman with serious freshman minutes, the transfers especially Lynch, and the recruits. Next year the team will be all together different. My guess is that even if Pitino is not a good coach, and that is just a wild thought, next years team will win on talent and athleticism alone.

. ... My guess is that even if Pitino is not a good coach, and that is just a wild thought, next years team will win on talent and athleticism alone.

Not in the Big Ten they won't. Takes a lot more than that.

Not in the Big Ten they won't. Takes a lot more than that.

Ok I over reached on that comment. What I meant is they won't be 0- whatever. Pitino is neither a great coach or a worthless coach, but somewhere in between- at the least. Let me restate, if he is an average coach next years team may win on talent and athleticism alone.

The regent should be more honest and say the truth. It is in the best interests of the University of Minnesota to have Pitino coach next year and hope for the best.

No coach in their third year who is having the worst year in 100 years of Gopher basketball "deserves" another year.

per Marcus:

University of Minnesota Board of Regents chair Dean Johnson has heard a lot from fans about their frustration over the Gophers basketball team’s winless Big Ten season under third-year coach Richard Pitino.

More criticism of Pitino came after Minnesota’s 12th straight loss Thursday, 82-58 at Northwestern. That sealed the Wildcats’ season sweep and recent domination over Minnesota after also winning by 25 at Williams Arena.

The Gophers (6-17, 0-11), who play host to Michigan on Wednesday, are off to their worst conference start since 1922-23.

There are some fans who want the U to make a decision on Pitino’s future after this season. But Johnson expects that, with no full-time athletics director and this being a rebuilding year, Pitino will be given until next season to prove himself with a better team after adding talented transfers and a top-20 recruiting class.

“(Interim athletics director Beth Goetz and University President Eric Kaler) receive the same kind of pressures and comments that we do,” Johnson told the Pioneer Press on Saturday. “But I think it’s fair to give Mr. Pitino another year of recruiting and working with the team. But if we find ourselves a year from now and things are about the same, then the fans and season-ticket purchases are going to get pretty vocal about the situation I’m sure. It’s always difficult to sell season tickets when you don’t have a winning team. I don’t care what university, what college or what sport. That’s just the way it is.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/0...hairman-its-fair-to-give-pitino-another-year/

Go Gophers!!

Going through the records it looks like if they lose the next one against Michigan and go 0-12 it's the absolute worst start ever in Gopher basketball history since they've been in the Big Ten. The 1922-1923 team finished 1-11 in conference play. 1917-1918 was their first year of Big Ten basketball. Man oh man, wrap your head around that one.

Understood. Our talent level definitely should go up next year. It'll need to in order to compete in this conference!

Understood. Our talent level definitely should go up next year. It'll need to in order to compete in this conference!
Agreed. However, we will still be young and inexperienced. If people think the 3 freshmen are going to set the B1G on fire next year, I think they are not being realistic. My best hope is that we are a bubble team next season for the NCAA tourney.

Agreed. However, we will still be young and inexperienced. If people think the 3 freshmen are going to set the B1G on fire next year, I think they are not being realistic. My best hope is that we are a bubble team next season for the NCAA tourney.

I don't think the freshman set the Big on fire, but the three because of this years minutes may be battle worthy above there age, and with Lynch and the new recruits who knows. Perhaps I am just hopeful but watching these freshman my intuition is that they are already above average and Lynch and the new recruits push them forward even more. At least that is my expectation. If I am right what it means for a won and loss record in the Big I cant say I know that.

Going through the records it looks like if they lose the next one against Michigan and go 0-12 it's the absolute worst start ever in Gopher basketball history since they've been in the Big Ten. The 1922-1923 team finished 1-11 in conference play. 1917-1918 was their first year of Big Ten basketball. Man oh man, wrap your head around that one.

So Richard has a chance to get both the most wins (in non cheating seasons) and the most losses within his first 3 years. That is somewhat impressive.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting and after this year I am okay with that. Hopefully were on the right side of it

I would rate next year's team as a fair amount more talented, but less experienced than the squad Pitino had years one. He did okay with that team, a few wins more would have made them an NCAA team. He can coach.

So Richard has a chance to get both the most wins (in non cheating seasons) and the most losses within his first 3 years. That is somewhat impressive.

Yeah Pitino has been very impressive...hopefully has doesn't get discouraged and quit...

I would rate next year's team as a fair amount more talented, but less experienced than the squad Pitino had years one. He did okay with that team, a few wins more would have made them an NCAA team. He can coach.

Ya I always wonder what would've happened if Gassner hadn't stepped on Dre's ankle.

Yeah Pitino has been very impressive...hopefully has doesn't get discouraged and quit...

I don't think he is wired like some of the posters on this board...so he won't quit.

Ironically, this is the worst the B1G has been in recent memory, so hopefully a good talent infusion will make a huge difference in W-L record next year. I would be surprised if the B1G gets a team in the Elite 8 this year.

Ironically, this is the worst the B1G has been in recent memory, so hopefully a good talent infusion will make a huge difference in W-L record next year. I would be surprised if the B1G gets a team in the Elite 8 this year.

Given the parity in college basketball this season with no Goliath out there, I'll be more surprised if they don't get 2. Talent-wise Maryland and Michigan State have the goods to at minimum get to Houston, and I wouldn't count out Iowa, either. Not that it guarantees anything, but if the Hawkeyes keep winning they should have a real nice path to the Final Four, with the first 2 games in Des Moines and then if they advance probably Chicago for the Midwest Regional.

Are you kidding me?

Hasn't happened since 2011, and I wouldnt bet against Izzo, Maryland, Iowa against this years field. I'd say it's more likely Big 10 has multiple elite 8 than none at all.

Fair to who? Who said coach hiring and firing decisions had to be fair? I would agree it may be necessary to allow him another year at this point with our options being trying to fast track an AD who then would have to fast track a coach who would then have to fast track saving the incoming recruiting class. But I don't think fair has anything to do with it.

Maryland, Sparty and Iowa are all legit title contenders. Wouldn't be shocked to see any of them or all three in the Final Four if the draw comes out right. Big Ten is as strong as ever, if it's weaker it's because schools like Illinois and us couldn't keep up

Given the parity in college basketball this season with no Goliath out there, I'll be more surprised if they don't get 2. Talent-wise Maryland and Michigan State have the goods to at minimum get to Houston, and I wouldn't count out Iowa, either. Not that it guarantees anything, but if the Hawkeyes keep winning they should have a real nice path to the Final Four, with the first 2 games in Des Moines and then if they advance probably Chicago for the Midwest Regional.
I am thinking Iowa ISU could meet up in Chicago

Not sure about Iowa and Maryland, but MSU will be in the Final Four. You can book that.

Fair to who? Who said coach hiring and firing decisions had to be fair? I would agree it may be necessary to allow him another year at this point with our options being trying to fast track an AD who then would have to fast track a coach who would then have to fast track saving the incoming recruiting class. But I don't think fair has anything to do with it.

Ha, couldn't agree more. Since when has "fair" entered into the equation of whether or not to retain a coach? It hasn't mattered around here for a long time, certainly not with basketball coaches.

Lynch will probably be the biggest difference to the team next year. We currently have no defensive presence in the middle. If he can block shots and take up space they will be much improved defensively. Talent upgrades at other positions would enable me to coach them to at least 6 conference wins. Pitino should be able to do better!

I'm going out on a limb...Gophers finish 11-7 in conference next year, Pitino wins B1G coach of the year with his turnaround and we get a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Or they start 0-3 in conference play and he is canned by the new AD. REALLY hoping for the former!

I agree that fair is a stupid word to use. Right now it's smart to keep Pitino at least another year. It would be foolish to do otherwise.

Or they start 0-3 in conference play and he is canned by the new AD.

If there's ever a year where this program needs a "layup" (or the closest thing to it) in its B1G opener, next year would be it. Not the year for us to start with a Michigan State, for example. If Jim Delany is kind to us, the Gophers open next season at home vs. Rutgers. If not the Scarlet Knights, Penn State or Nebraska at home.

That said, we'll probably open with @ MSU and @ Wisconsin, then play Sparty a second time in our home opener.

If there's ever a year where this program needs a "layup" (or the closest thing to it) in its B1G opener, next year would be it. Not the year for us to start with a Michigan State, for example. If Jim Delany is kind to us, the Gophers open next season at home vs. Rutgers. If not the Scarlet Knights, Penn State or Nebraska at home.

That said, we'll probably open with @ MSU and @ Wisconsin, then play Sparty a second time in our home opener.

I just hope its not Northwestern.....

Top Bottom