PiPress: U regent chairman: “It’s fair to give (Pitino) another year”

Ironically, this is the worst the B1G has been in recent memory, so hopefully a good talent infusion will make a huge difference in W-L record next year. I would be surprised if the B1G gets a team in the Elite 8 this year.

So the current talent is winless against an awful Big Ten? We need 4 new starters and a big jump by some of this years guys to make a big difference. Can happen, but I wouldn't count on it. That said, I want to give Richie as much time as possibly to succeed because if he does, he could be a big time coach for many, many years. That's the hope and we don't want to give up too early...

Ha, couldn't agree more. Since when has "fair" entered into the equation of whether or not to retain a coach? It hasn't mattered around here for a long time, certainly not with basketball coaches.
It doesn't, it was just some guys choice of words that didn't reveal anything one way or the other

If there's ever a year where this program needs a "layup" (or the closest thing to it) in its B1G opener, next year would be it. Not the year for us to start with a Michigan State, for example. If Jim Delany is kind to us, the Gophers open next season at home vs. Rutgers. If not the Scarlet Knights, Penn State or Nebraska at home.

That said, we'll probably open with @ MSU and @ Wisconsin, then play Sparty a second time in our home opener.
Have the gophs ever started conference play on the road three years in a row?

Pattern indicates Gophers will open B1G play at home in 2016-17

Have the gophs ever started conference play on the road three years in a row?

Going back to the 1992-93 season, the Gophers have never opened Big Ten play on the road 3 years in a row, which would be the case if it happens next season. 15 of the last 24 seasons the Gophers have opened conference play at home.

I did notice a pattern leading me to believe the Gophers will open B1G play at Williams Arena next season. Since the 2008-09 season. ...

2008-09: H
2009-10: H
2010-11: A
2011-12: A
2012-13: H
2013-14: H
2014-15: A
2015-16: A
2016-17: ???

It doesn't, it was just some guys choice of words that didn't reveal anything one way or the other

Given that he's the single most powerful individual at the University of Minnesota, "some guy" is vastly understating the weight behind the words.

Top Bottom