What should Tracey Claeys do with remaining scholarships?

hungan1

Reaction score
Help me out.

We've got 20 kids signing LOIs:

QBS
Seth Green
Demarcus Williams

RB
Kobe McCrary (Jr)

WR
Phillip Howard
Drew Hmielewski
Tyler Johnson (or is he Safety?)

TE
Ko Kieft

OL
Garrison Wright (Jr, OG)
Vincent Calhoun (Jr, OG)
Sam Schlueter (OT)
Conner Olson (OG)

DE
Taiyon Devers
Tamarion Johnson

DT
Merrick Jackson (Jr)

LB
Thomas Barber
Carter Coughlin
Kamal Martin

CB
Coney Durr
Kiondre Thomas
Antoine Winfield

S
(Tyler Johnson?)

That is 20 scholarships.

Does this leave us with seven remaining scholarships? With Lincoln Plsek & Chris Wipson moving on add two more.

We may have one more in this class if Kieran Johnson (from Central Lakes JC) is able to sign.

That potentially is eight unfilled scholarships.

We will lose 11 players to graduation in 2017: Mitch Leidner, Drew Wolitarski, Duke Anyanwu, Jonah Pirsig, Hank Ekpe, Scott Ekpe, Youshub Timms, Jack Lynn, Nick Rallis, Jalen Myrick, and Ace Rogers.

Should Tracy Claeys bank the eight or nine remaining scholarships to balance out the classes more? Should he award some to walk-ons?

What is your opinion?

It's not an either/or. He can reward some senior walk-ons and still have the scholarships for HS recruits next year.

If he can find some late signers who can help us, e.g. David Cobb, I would say sign some. I do like balancing the classes a bit, so would probably reward at least some walk-on seniors this year. It also shows that walk-ons will get rewarded...helping get the next set of walk-ons.

a couple of points, you can award any walk on, with a one year scholarship and not be obligated to renew it. It's not an issue but if a player has been with the program for two years their scholarship only counts towards the 85 total scholarships and not the 25 per year limit. Players that early enroll next year can be counted towards this years 25.

I am fascinate with Ko Kieft. He is 6'4" and about 220, and they list him as a tight end. I see him as a linebacker.

Good points by all, unless they can find an under the radar guy they really like, I would bank them for next year. Perhaps reward a few walk-ons in the short term too if they have the ability.

Help me out.

We've got 20 kids signing LOIs:

QBS
Seth Green
Demarcus Williams

RB
Kobe McCrary (Jr)

WR
Phillip Howard
Drew Hmielewski
Tyler Johnson (or is he Safety?)

TE
Ko Kieft

OL
Garrison Wright (Jr, OG)
Vincent Calhoun (Jr, OG)
Sam Schlueter (OT)
Conner Olson (OG)

DE
Taiyon Devers
Tamarion Johnson

DT
Merrick Jackson (Jr)

LB
Thomas Barber
Carter Coughlin
Kamal Martin

CB
Coney Durr
Kiondre Thomas
Antoine Winfield

S
(Tyler Johnson?)

That is 20 scholarships.

Does this leave us with seven remaining scholarships? With Lincoln Plsek & Chris Wipson moving on add two more.

We may have one more in this class if Kieran Johnson (from Central Lakes JC) is able to sign.

That potentially is eight unfilled scholarships.

We will lose 11 players to graduation in 2017: Mitch Leidner, Drew Wolitarski, Duke Anyanwu, Jonah Pirsig, Hank Ekpe, Scott Ekpe, Youshub Timms, Jack Lynn, Nick Rallis, Jalen Myrick, and Ace Rogers.

Should Tracy Claeys bank the eight or nine remaining scholarships to balance out the classes more? Should he award some to walk-ons?

What is your opinion?

Plus we probably will pickup a few more before next NSD to other players that leave the program for varies reasons.

Let's hunt down two more Junior College Offensive lineman who have a record of staying healthy.

Ideally we find another DT, S, OL and RB. My guess he will use a few of them for walk-ons which would kinda help since next year's senior class appears to be very small. Looks like just 12 scholarship seniors. They could also look at adding a senior transfer that can play right away as well. We were looking at the OL from Eastern Illinois at one point. Not sure if he made his decision yet or not.

... We were looking at the OL from Eastern Illinois at one point. Not sure if he made his decision yet or not.

For the life of me, I know it was mentioned here in GH and I can't remember his name.

I believe Sawvel said they would like to have signed another DT (Watt). Claeys said they would evaluate needs after spring. Two or three walk ons have already received their scholarships starting with spring semester. I would keep an eye out for some late qualifiers. There is a undersized DE potentially visiting in the next month or so if his academics are in order.

Jimmy Lowery signed with Boston College.

I believe Sawvel said they would like to have signed another DT (Watt). Claeys said they would evaluate needs after spring. Two or three walk ons have already received their scholarships starting with spring semester. I would keep an eye out for some late qualifiers. There is a undersized DE potentially visiting in the next month or so if his academics are in order.

There is a 2016 visitor this weekend, is it him or another player? And who is the player?

Top Bottom