Gophers Win Opener Against Penn State, 4-1

Reaction score
After getting swept out of the North Star College Cup last week, the Gophers rebounded nicely Friday against Penn State. Hudson Fasching scored just 1:14 into the game and the Maroon and Gold never looked back; cruising to a 4-1 victory.

Cammy Shines

Talented winger Taylor Cammarata has been in a slump for much of the season. Entering the weekend, the junior had just eight points in 25 games. On Friday, Cammarata scored the game-winning goal, and also added an assist.

“It was probably [Cammarata’s] best game of the year,” said Don Lucia. “He was a factor all night long and had a goal and an assist.”

Cammarata was reunited with his former linemate Justin Kloos. The pair have clicked ever since dominating the USHL together, and the chemistry showed aginst the Nittany Lions.

“It’s given me a little more confidence going into this game,” said Cammarata of playing with Kloos. “Obviously I felt like I had more energy the whole game, so it was a good overall game.”

Bouncing Back

After the Gophers VERY disappointing tournament last weekend, they were happy to get back to their winning ways in conference play.

“We were kind of bummed out by last weekend,” said Cammarata. “Obviously, we were kind of down early in the week, but I thought we had a good week of practice and it carried over to tonight.”

All three of the Gophers’ top lines contributed to the scoring; something they’ve been looking for all season.

“[We] tried to put that weekend behind us,” said Leon Bristedt. “We did some line changes here and mixed it up a bit, and I think we got production out of three lines. That’s exactly what we wanted.”

Fast Pace

The Nittany Lions like to get up and down the ice and put shots on net. They lead the Big Ten with over 43 shots on goal per game. The quick style of play suits the Gophers and their Olympic sheet of ice. On Friday, the teams combined for 75 shots.

“That’s the style we want to play,” said Bristedt. “We want to play fast. We want to play quick and aggressive, offensive hockey. Of course, that’s what they play so there’s opportunities both ways. But we were prepared. We know they’re shooting from everywhere.”

Three Stars

3 – Eric Schierhorn allowed just one goal and made 31 saves.

2 – Leon Bristedt scored a goal and an assist.

1 – Taylor Cammarata scored the game winner and added a helper.

By The Numbers

0 Powerplay goals for either side despite a total of eight combined chances.

48 Seconds left in the first period when Cammarata scored the eventual game winner to change the momentum.

1 With the win, the Gophers took over first place in the Big Ten standings.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to sweep the series tomorrow on Hockey Day Minnesota. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m. and can be seen on FSN.

Minnesota made some slick plays. My favorite was Kloos to Sheehy a 2nd period goal. Even Fasching's lightning bolt shot came off a nice set up.

Top Bottom