Q&A: Sam Schlueter Talks About Playing for Bart Miller, and Getting Bigger & Stronger

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sam Schlueter Talks About Playing for Bart Miller, and Getting Bigger & Stronger

Q&A: Sam Schlueter Talks About Playing for Bart Miller, and Getting Bigger and Stronger
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/608703?referrer_id=

Sam Schlueter, a 6-foot-6, 285-pound tackle from Victoria (MN) Mayer Lutheran who is considered one of the top linemen in the state, signed with Minnesota Wednesday. Schlueter committed the Gophers over Wisconsin and Michigan State last April.

Schlueter helped lead the Crusaders to a 7-4 mark this past season, losing to Minneapolis North 51-20 in the third round of the Class A, Section 4 playoffs. It was a big improvement from his junior year when the Crusaders finished 2-8 mark, losing to Minneapolis North 58-22 in the second round of the Class A, Section 4 playoffs.

Gopher Hole caught up with Schlueter to learn more on his decision to become a Gopher and expectations as a freshman.

Gopher Hole: You are signing your letter of intent Wednesday. Where are you doing it and what will the feeling be like when you finally get your college choice out of the way?

Sam Schlueter: I am going to be doing it at my gym Wednesday at my school. I think that it will feel great, just kind of relief that it is official and you don't have to worry about anything else.

Gopher Hole: I know that you committed early, but did you like the recruiting process or did you see how it could get tiring after a while?

Sam Schlueter: I liked it, but it really kind of wore me out, you know, different colleges talk to you. Even the ones that talked to you and you just knew that you aren't going to go there and you almost felt like you were leading them on, so I just wanted to get it over with, to be honest, because I knew where I wanted to go.

Gopher Hole: In hindsight, after you glad that you committed when you did?

Sam Schlueter: Yes. I was happy with it.

Gopher Hole: The last time, I saw you were at the Minnesota Vikings' game against Seattle when you were named to the Minnesota Vikings' All-State team at halftime. You had several other honors like the KARE-11 All- Metro team. What is the feeling when you hear those types of acknowledgments about an outstanding senior season?

Sam Schlueter: It was great. When you get those types of acknowledgments, it gives you the reassurance that you did all you could your senior season and put it out on the field.

Gopher Hole: You received that acknowledgement at TCF Stadium, where you are going to be playing next fall. What was the feeling knowing that the next time you are on this field, your role is going to be a lot different? Did that make getting that award even more special being on the field where you are going to be playing?

Sam Schlueter: Yes, I think so. I think that being on the field with all the fans was a great thing. You have that center of attention feeling when they announce your name.

Gopher Hole: You had a terrific year this season and had perhaps the best record ever at Mayer Lutheran. How pleased were you with your senior season?

Sam Schlueter: We made it to the section championship. It was a lot better than last year. I was very pleased with it. My team played great. I thought that we really connected as a team this year compared to last year and all kind of grew up and my teammates all knew what they had to do and they just worked hard and finished off our senior year and it really felt great.

Gopher Hole: Unfortunately, the last two years you lost to the same team, Minneapolis North, in the playoffs and one of the North players, Tyler Johnson, is going to be your teammate at Minnesota. What was the feeling playing against him and knowing that you are going to be playing with him hopefully the next four or five years?

Sam Schlueter: You know, it was exciting. It was kind of weird, seeing him and knowing that I am going to be with that guy next year and we are not going to be competing, we're going to be on the same team. I think it was really fun and even though we lost that game, they were a really good team. We saw that in the state championship. I think that it was really fun to play against him and overall, just a fun season for everybody.

Gopher Hole: You made your official visit in December. What was your visit like?

Sam Schlueter: I did my visit with Trystan Castillo of Missouri and Garrison Wright. I really liked my official visit. You just had the home feeling when you were there. Telling you that it was the place for you. Instead of taking five different official visits, I was taking one official and it just felt great.

Gopher Hole: There were six Minnesota commits named to the Viking All-State team. I know that you have bonded with some of them and built a close relationship with them. Did that make it even more special that you have gotten to know some of those guys of the year and received an honor with those future teammates?

Sam Schlueter: Yes. It was great, because we have all been talking since we all committed really and different kids popped up and we started talking to them and built relationships with them. I think it is a great thing to do because you are not going to go in with a bunch of guys that you don't know. It is a bunch of guys that you recognize and that you are friends with already. What I am here to say is we are already a team already. We're not even there, but we are already a team.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota before the start of the season. There was some coaching changes. What was your initial reaction when you heard that Coach Kill was going to be retiring?

Sam Schlueter: It was shocking to me and my family. It was a big surprise. I had no idea. It just came out of nowhere, but I held on with Minnesota. You just have to see what is going on. You can't make a quick decision and go "What am I going to do, I don't know what is going to happen." I trusted Minnesota. I knew that they were going to make a great decision and I stuck with them the whole way.

Gopher Hole: What about Coach Claeys? I don't know how much of a relationship you had with him beforehand, but what was the reaction when you heard that he was going to be the new head coach?

Sam Schlueter: I never really knew him before that because he is on the defensive side of the ball, but when I met him, I knew that he had the same values that Coach Kill had. He was under Coach Kill for 20-some years and I think that he really grew under Coach Kill and became better and better as their lives went on and I think that Coach Kill told him how to coach and I think that he is a really good fit for the head coach position.

Gopher Hole: The coach who recruited you a lot was Coach Limegrover, who is not going to be back. What was the feeling when you heard that news?

Sam Schlueter: It was crazy again, but Coach Claeys called me and told me that it is the best fit and I trusted him and I stuck with it and I really like the new OL coach after meeting with him and talking to him and I feel that he is going to develop me into the best player I can be.

Gopher Hole: Coach Bart Miller is the new offensive line coach. What has your relationship with him been like?

Sam Schlueter: I have met him a couple of times. He has come over to my house a couple of times. We have had some really good talks. I know that he is going to push me to my limit to the point where I am going to have to fight through it mentally.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on now that your season is over to get ready to play college football? Obviously, it is an adjustment from high school to college football.

Sam Schlueter: Just keep on getting bigger and stronger. That is all you can do really. You have to be as big as the people that you are going up against. Those fifth year seniors that you are going up against as a freshman. I am lifting about five times a week, three times by myself and a couple of times with a trainer. I am working hard to get as big as I can before I get into the game.

Gopher Hole: Many offensive lineman redshirt as freshmen to get bigger and stronger. Have the Gopher coaches talked to you much about your role this fall?

Sam Schlueter: They said that they are open. Coach Miller didn't recruit any of the players that are there. He said that there are going to be spots, if you want to play your freshman year and if you are good enough, he is going to put you out there. I know that I will have the opportunity to prove myself and if it isn't right and I think that I am going to get better by sitting out the year, I'm fine with that, too, because I know that I'll be better by that year and more ready and by the time that I am fifth year senior, I'll be great.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota loses a lot of experience with the graduation of players like Joe Bjorklund, Foster Busch, Jon Christenson. Josh Campion and Brian Bobek. Does that mean that maybe you could see playing time a little more quickly than you might have thought at one time?

Sam Schlueter: Yes. I am hoping so. I'll be working as hard as I can during that fall camp and if the coaches think that I am ready to play, then I know I am ready to play.

He gets it. Work hard, be ready. A Freshman left tackle is a huge accomplishment. He has a chance based on his attitude and dedication. No mention of the nasty factor, however.

Top Bottom