GREAT Podcast with Recruiting Director Billy Glasscock - must listen

Thanks Twinsfan21...here are the Billy Glasscock notes to save maybe 48 of 51 minutes or so...
Went pretty smooth today...not too many surprises good or bad... we had two or three kids we were not sure about... Coney Durr came to us and the other two went elsewhere..
Recruiting usually starts the summer before the junior year...you get to know the kids and the parents in many cases by signing day
We had 24 total so far... (no comments on what is coming or planned with available open scholarships or additional pwo's) 6 January kids, 14 HS kids today and 4 PWO's got their paper work in
Last two weeks before signing day is by far the busiest time of recruiting of the whole year maybe all combined...there are so many changes in schedules
This year we had to re-recruit kids with the coaching change...that went very well...TC is very certain of what he wants..."I can act with authority because I'm under authority" There is NO gray area with TC
"I have more confidence to do my job!" TC is a numbers guy. Size, speed etc matters to him.
This is our most athletic group. We want kids that can run. These kids can all run.
***The two JC Oline kids are ALL BIG TEN type of players. They would have started for us this year. K. Thomas is a clone of Eric Murray. Winfield is fast, strong and personable.
Deepest year of Minnesota recruits in our time here. 18 kids signed 1A...13 signed power 5...we signed 8 of the 13 and didn't offer one of those 13, so 8 of 12. Other states:
IOWA 12-1A kids n 9 Power 5 signed Iowa signed 5
Indiana 36- 1a kids n 18 Power 5 Indiana signed 1 Purdue 2
Illinois 51 - 1a kids n 37 Power 5 NW signed 1 Illinois signed 4
WI didn't give total 11 power 5 and WI signed 4
His conclusion is kids wanna go elsewhere. For us to get 8 of 12 is remarkable.
JC kids unlike HS kids don't see the glamour...they want playing time...so sometimes easier to recruit them...JC coaches trust us...we have had good success with JC players...
HS coaches from other states sometimes steer kids away from us...they want kids to stay home so they (the coaches) can brag to local people
We definitely continue to recruit JC kids
Bart and Jay blown away how much our recruiting staff does versus their experiences... 5 people plus Billy on staff.. Bart and Jay are eager to be good at recruiting...it starts there. They work at it.
They wanted to learn. Very active in the process. Our recruiting will take a huge leap because of them.
Bart is going to be an awesome recruiter for us. Young, relates, good personality etc
Must be careful judging kids on social media but we definitely monitor the kids we recruit on social media. If they keep swearing on social media we just fade away from recruiting them.
Very in favor of early signing date. That would be huge for us.

At the end of this they talked about an early signing day. Is there actually talk of that happening?

Billy you got a very interesting last name to say the least..

Early signing day would be huge for us up here, and of course, we are all in favor of it. Why it will never happen: the south. SEC and ACC love to flip kids last minute when the dust starts to settle. I really think it would put some accountability on both sides of recruitment, ie getting kids to honor committments and coachs to honor offers. I see nothing but positives from an early signing period And thats why it will never happen

Top Bottom