Direction of the Offense

If they chose to run from the gun or pistol, and use an inside trap or zone action, the counter is the QB out the backside. When they had that going with Cobb, Mitch was putting up a hundred against Nebraska, Michigan. Mitch is a big QB. He is not especially quick or fast, but he does know the mesh point and how to read the defense. When he takes the ball on the perimeter the big hits could come from the safety, but again he is a big dude. The wrinkle I have seen in the spread, that I think would be devastating. Is a triple option from the pistol. First option, to the running back, second on the roll out does the corner come up to take Mitch or cover the split end leaking down the side lines. Any indication to take Mitch opens the receiver. The point of no return is the line of scrimmage. That type of action is second nature for Texas Tech, OSU, and Mississippi.
Ditto all of the above.

ok, link?

I heard TC or Burns or someone say it in an interview yesterday on KFAN. I listened to JG's full show so I don't remember exactly when. Don't care. If you don't think ML7 will enter the season as the starter then you are delusional.

I heard TC or Burns or someone say it in an interview yesterday on KFAN. I listened to JG's full show so I don't remember exactly when. Don't care. If you don't think ML7 will enter the season as the starter then you are delusional.

Spoofin, he's delusional in general about ML7.

Coach also mentioned it in his signing day presser that was on the BTN as well. Green is coming in to compete with Croft for the #2 spot. Anyone that still thinks Croft will overtake Mitch still has maroon and gold blinders on as he still has some developing to do yet to compete consistently at the Big Ten level.

Best QB depth this team has had in yrs. I am prepared for an offense that rewards a QB with quick feet and quick release. O-line be damned.

Not really, an experienced starter and three inexperienced backups. 2 years from now we should have two or three guys who can play.

The key to any offense is the offensive line. If they are going to be physical, nasty, and the meanest players on the field, then we need to start with who on the roster is going be on the line. From those criteria we have a center in Tyler Moore. And at Guard Garrison Wright. From there I am at a loss. Jonah Pirsig has the most starts, and certainly is the biggest player. But Physical, Nasty, and the meanest player are not his forte. Has Coach Miller lit a fire under his game? Can he become a beast in his senior year? And if anyone can name the other 2 players making up the most important element of the offense, jump in here.

Miller said he is bringing a gap scheme.

Here is a thirty minute video on the Gap Blocking Scheme. We have been running zone. This is a change and as you watch this, think of Garrison Wright at the pulling guard

The intellect factor, reads, and communication in line play is never mentioned or explained. The three rules are fairly easy. The better all 6 observe the rules, the better the blocking becomes. And tape never lies.

Keep in mind the rules apply no matter what you are running. This is I right 26 Power.

To recap

Rule 1. Do I have anyone head up? Drive Block
Rule 2. No one head up, Anyone in the backside gap? Down block
Rule 3. No one head up, No one in the backside gap? Block 2 level backside. Do not block the Point

Fullback kickout block on the 1st Man outside the end man on the line of scrimmage
Backside guard pulls to the point.

The intellect factor, reads, and communication in line play is never mentioned or explained. The three rules are fairly easy. The better all 6 observe the rules, the better the blocking becomes. And tape never lies.

Keep in mind the rules apply no matter what you are running. This is 26 Power

Just going by what I've found online, it says it's probably one of the more complex/hard to learn blocking schemes. Assuming their will be a learning curve, so the first few games they may still be figuring it all out.

Not really, an experienced starter and three inexperienced backups. 2 years from now we should have two or three guys who can play.

This is called having a true starter.

Just going by what I've found online, it says it's probably one of the more complex/hard to learn blocking schemes. Assuming their will be a learning curve, so the first few games they may still be figuring it all out.
Name your poison, zone blocking puts higher demands on technique, particuarly how you move your feet.

As long as we get a seal here->| |<-and a seal here to create running lanes to get big chunks of yardage, it's all good.

You could even simulate the blocking on the computer.

take a defense 4-3 over, 4-3 under, 3-4 and plug it against I Right

holes-22.jpg

Have six cubicles and each player plugs in his action. This could be a program the players take with them and play in the dorm.

The plays become endless. I Right Power 24, I Right Power 28, I Right Power 22, I Right Power 21, I right Power 23, I Right Power 25, I Right Power 27. And that's just I Right series. Then shift to I left series. If there is any wrong answers, the program records it.

You could even simulate the blocking on the computer.

take a defense 4-3 over, 4-3 under, 3-4 and plug it against I Right

View attachment 4096

Have six cubicles and each player plugs in his action. This could be a program the players take with them and play in the dorm.

The plays become endless. I Right Power 24, I Right Power 28, I Right Power 22, I Right Power 21, I right Power 23, I Right Power 25, I Right Power 27. And that's just I Right series. Then shift to I left series. If there is any wrong answers, the program records it.

I had a similar thought to test the lineman IQ on this sort of scheme. It got me thinking: how do college coaches coach their linemen? What tools do they use to teach schemes and what training techniques make those schemes successful on the field?

Um, we ran TONS of power under Limegrover. Many, many different variations as well. Every solid HS team (let alone FBS team) runs both zone and gap schemes. Obviously one or the other will be your bread and butter, but it's not like this will rock our kids' worlds...

This is going to be an interesting discussion all the way through spring ball and fall camp.

On the BTN signing day special, I believe Gerry DiNardo used the word 'pure spread' for the new Gopher offense. That caught my attention. Going to be interesting to watch the offense develop.

If they chose to run from the gun or pistol, and use an inside trap or zone action, the counter is the QB out the backside. When they had that going with Cobb, Mitch was putting up a hundred against Nebraska, Michigan. Mitch is a big QB. He is not especially quick or fast, but he does know the mesh point and how to read the defense. When he takes the ball on the perimeter the big hits could come from the safety, but again he is a big dude. The wrinkle I have seen in the spread, that I think would be devastating. Is a triple option from the pistol. First option, to the running back, second on the roll out does the corner come up to take Mitch or cover the split end leaking down the side lines. Any indication to take Mitch opens the receiver. The point of no return is the line of scrimmage. That type of action is second nature for Texas Tech, OSU, and Mississippi.

Damn, you Gopherholers are good!

Top Bottom