Direction of the Offense

minibeaver

Reaction score
Hearing Claeys on BTN yesterday gave me the impression that the changes in our O will be less subtle than I originally thought. I'm thinking more QB runs as an example.

If that's the case, how does everyone feel about Mitch's skillset to run an O like that? Mitch can run, but he's not a typical spread QB.

FTR, I'm a Mitch supporter, not trying to start a "Mitch sucks" thread.

If they chose to run from the gun or pistol, and use an inside trap or zone action, the counter is the QB out the backside. When they had that going with Cobb, Mitch was putting up a hundred against Nebraska, Michigan. Mitch is a big QB. He is not especially quick or fast, but he does know the mesh point and how to read the defense. When he takes the ball on the perimeter the big hits could come from the safety, but again he is a big dude. The wrinkle I have seen in the spread, that I think would be devastating. Is a triple option from the pistol. First option, to the running back, second on the roll out does the corner come up to take Mitch or cover the split end leaking down the side lines. Any indication to take Mitch opens the receiver. The point of no return is the line of scrimmage. That type of action is second nature for Texas Tech, OSU, and Mississippi.

If they chose to run from the gun or pistol, and use an inside trap or zone action, the counter is the QB out the backside. When they had that going with Cobb, Mitch was putting up a hundred against Nebraska, Michigan. Mitch is a big QB. He is not especially quick or fast, but he does know the mesh point and how to read the defense. When he takes the ball on the perimeter the big hits could come from the safety, but again he is a big dude. The wrinkle I have seen in the spread, that I think would be devastating. Is a triple option from the pistol. First option, to the running back, second on the roll out does the corner come up to take Mitch or cover the split end leaking down the side lines. Any indication to take Mitch opens the receiver. The point of no return is the line of scrimmage. That type of action is second nature for Texas Tech, OSU, and Mississippi.

this guy gets it.

The offense is going to be interesting. I'm not worried about Leidner. He's a gritty warrior and will do fine with a new coordinator and new scheme.
Our running backs did very well even with a patched up, maligned offensive line.
I think Coach Miller is the wild card. He seems to be totally different than Limegrover. He has stressed attitude and nastiness. That wasn't promoted in the past, at least not publicly. Will the kids buy in? Time will tell.

hopefully we can get in the top 50

Got it Coach. Put me in!

Hearing Claeys on BTN yesterday gave me the impression that the changes in our O will be less subtle than I originally thought. I'm thinking more QB runs as an example.

If that's the case, how does everyone feel about Mitch's skillset to run an O like that? Mitch can run, but he's not a typical spread QB.

FTR, I'm a Mitch supporter, not trying to start a "Mitch sucks" thread.

Going to be very interesting to see how it shapes up over spring ball and fall camp. Given our lack of depth at the QB position I am not a huge fan of more QB runs simply because you expose your QB to the potential for injury even more. However, when done right the QB run game can be a huge weapon and Mitch has proven to be a capable runner. Not explosive like some QB's but does a good job getting positive yards and is quicker than he looks.

Hopefully we will be less predictable then we have been the past few years. I know there are a lot of us that have been frustrated by the fact that as fans we could fairly easily predict what was coming so if we could do that you have to figure it was really easy for the opposing DC to figure things out.

Mitch looked a lot better since Tracy took over and in the Bowl game. I like to think playcalling and etc found a way for Mitch to better use his skills / protection.

Either way Mitch is the guy now. I don't think we've heard anything to indicate anyone else is ready.

Mitch was waiting on surgery for the bowl game and hurt all year so he couldn't run much. If he's healthy (should be) I would expect more QB runs. You can't just throw that tool away.

Anything that limits the amount of 3 and outs with 2 runs up the gut and one incomplete pass I'm a-o-k with

Auburn does/did it quite often prior to this year. It was a huge play in the "Kick Six" game for them.

I've waited and waited and waited for the wrinkle to appear for the Gophs. It never appeared.:mad:

It's not something you hang your hat on, but it oftentimes becomes the natural progression when the the D becomes unsound and has to adjust by robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Best QB depth this team has had in yrs. I am prepared for an offense that rewards a QB with quick feet and quick release. O-line be damned.

Best QB depth this team has had in yrs. I am prepared for an offense that rewards a QB with quick feet and quick release. O-line be damned.

I look at the depth not as a challenge to Mitch, but an insurance policy. If a smart use of the QB as a runner, then depth is critical. And if this is who we are going to be, we are starting to see the QB's we have and have recruited. Demrey Croft 6-5, Seth Green 6-3, Conor Rhoda 6-3, and Demarcus Williams 6-0.

I haven't one concern with our group of QB's. Now injuries or transfers could hurt that in 2017, but I think having the QB coach as OC is going to stabilize things on the offensive side of the ball.

We have three games in the out of conference to build off and see where this offense is going. I'm interested in the guys that Claeys singled out from the red-shirt class. Specifically he mentioned were "Hunter Register would be one and so would Dovich, Connelly and Femi-Cole. On D it would be Craighton, Buford, Johnson and DeLattiboudere."

Our problem on offense is that we haven't scored enough points.

Amazingly and revealingly, we've typically played about 2.5 quarters of offense per game.

The first quarter was just a total waste under Limey.

Our problem on offense is that we haven't scored enough points.

Amazingly and revealingly, we've typically played about 2.5 quarters of offense per game.

so yer blamin the Xs and Os? you sure its not the Jimmies and Joes?

The only direction that matters to me is forward and frequently over the opposing team's goal line. How they do that is up to the HC and OC.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It will all start die with the offensive line and their ability to pick up the zone blocking scheme and to stay healthy and keep Mitch upright.

Nothing much else matters.

This is so true. Every team we played came out with a gameplan that usually worked for a few drives against our defense. It could be a Kill strategy (or Claeys) to come out conservative and run some things early to find out their gameplan and then attack later. But that is being pretty generous and would go against what Limey said with play scripting.

It will all start die with the offensive line and their ability to pick up the zone blocking scheme and to stay healthy and keep Mitch upright.

Nothing much else matters.

FWIW, Claeys was incredibly confident sounding about the direction of the Oline and Bart at the social.

ML7 is our QB next year. TC has already stated that (telling Seth he will compete with Croft for #2). With that, I don't think we will see nearly as much of a change in our Offense in 2016 as we will in 2017 when we have a much more mobile QB (whether it be Green, Croft, or Williams).

Let's not forgot - Leidner was playing with a foot problem that required surgery. I read an interview where he said the foot had been bothering him for two years. So - if you've got a QB with a bad foot, you're probably not going to feature him as much in the run game.

If Leidner is healthy next fall, I would not be surprised to see him running the ball more often - and more effectively.

The game planning will be very different even if a lot of the plays are similar. In the past we would gameplan to attack an opponents weaknesses, going forward, we will start with what we do well. It's more of an attitude change that TC wants the biggest change will be on the offensive line.

ML7 is our QB next year. TC has already stated that (telling Seth he will compete with Croft for #2). With that, I don't think we will see nearly as much of a change in our Offense in 2016 as we will in 2017 when we have a much more mobile QB (whether it be Green, Croft, or Williams).

BS.

ok, link?

Comment From Lakeville Gopher
Do you expect Jay Johnson to use Green this year? Mitch is a senior and it could help transition into next season. PS: I went to Lakeville with Jay and it's nice to see the local guy back! Wish him all the success!
9:58

Comment From Ben
Is there plans to get Croft more PT since we burned his redshirt this year?
9:59

TC: Seth and Demry will compete for playing time in the spring. How they perform in the spring will have a big determination in how much they get to play in the fall.

10:02

Comment From KC
what is your Offense? BTN is speaking that with Green, MN is now a spread Offense.
10:03

TC: Our opening game against Oregon State will be interesting because then everyone will see what we are.

All things offensive production starts with our offensive line.

Kudos to Claeys for reaching out to JC and nabbing Calhoun and Wright.

This will be a very important Spring for a lot of position players.

If done right, our offense could be explosive in both rushing and receiving. But, again it boils down to the OL.

Top Bottom