Michigan's first week of spring practice will be in Florida over spring break

Apparently they're holding it at IMG Academy... I'm sure none of their recruits will be around or anything for that ;)

Apparently they're holding it at IMG Academy... I'm sure none of their recruits will be around or anything for that ;)

The sound you heard was the collective groaning of all college football players who just found out that in the very near future their spring break trip to Mexico will now be replaced by football practices in an alternate location the coaches feel will benefit them on the recruiting front. Time spent at the beach will now be replaced by film sessions and workouts.

The sound you heard was the collective groaning of all college football players who just found out that in the very near future their spring break trip to Mexico will now be replaced by football practices in an alternate location the coaches feel will benefit them on the recruiting front. Time spent at the beach will now be replaced by film sessions and workouts.

Agreed. IMO, the flood gates will open and we have a new component of the arms race. I understand that tennis, golf, baseball, rowing teams, etc. all do this. But with football it will be an entirely different model with the helmet schools now competing to see which alumni can provide a "cool enough" trip for recruiting purposes. How long until the Florida Gators go to the Bahamas, or Alabama to Cabo.

Go Gophers!!

I think the sound is college football players being sold "Hey you get a free spring break trip with us to start each year".

Plus an extra sleepover!

Agreed. IMO, the flood gates will open and we have a new component of the arms race. I understand that tennis, golf, baseball, rowing teams, etc. all do this. But with football it will be an entirely different model with the helmet schools now competing to see which alumni can provide a "cool enough" trip for recruiting purposes. How long until the Florida Gators go to the Bahamas, or Alabama to Cabo.

Go Gophers!!

But the tennis, golf, rowing, baseball, & softball teams all have actual competition on their trips.

I'm not sure why this gets posted on Gopherhole ... :confused:

Because the Gophers are opening their spring practices with a trip to ... Stillwater.

Really though Bielema in Arkansas stories get posted here. Seems like Michigan would be at least more relevant than that.

Because the Gophers are opening their spring practices with a trip to ... Stillwater.

Really though Bielema in Arkansas stories get posted here. Seems like Michigan would be at least more relevant than that.

Stillwater, Oklahoma ??

I guess I just feel like whining today..Mabye a Snelson effect.

Things like 24/7 dining, paying for parents to attend bowl games, and now this. I guess the price for a full scholarship just went up again.

Maybe I'll run into Harbaugh buying khakis at the Walmart in West Bradenton. Hopefully, I'll get to ask him what his favorite part of the sleepovers was. :cool02:

I think the sound is college football players being sold "Hey you get a free spring break trip with us to start each year".

Plus an extra sleepover!

I am sure the players would much rather have a spring break trip that involves meetings and practices as opposed to one where they can drink and party all day and night. :cool02:

I am sure the players would much rather have a spring break trip that involves meetings and practices as opposed to one where they can drink and party all day and night. :cool02:

I wonder what % of the football players go to spring break / can afford to.

The whole thing of college students going on spring break, at least when I was in college, was for most students a silly myth. I certainly couldn't afford it.

I wonder what % of the football players go to spring break / can afford to.

The whole thing of college students going on spring break, at least when I was in college, was for most students a silly myth. I certainly couldn't afford it.

You certainly could be right that for some guys this would give them a trip that they would otherwise not have gotten. The bottom line to me is that college sports and especially football are becoming full-time jobs for these kids, 99.9% of whom will be done playing football when the graduate. Players that want to should be able to enjoy things like spring break because when they get out in the real world that won't exist for most of them.

Doing spring practices during spring break adds a work component to the trip. Yes you get to go someplace nice but you have to be accountable to the coaches which means you can never truly kick back and relax and just have fun.

It is what it is and if the NCAA is going to allow it then it will become commonplace at the Helmet schools for sure as they strive to one up each other. I just think it is a shame for the players to have a week that is traditionally set aside to do whatever they want taken away so that the coaches can get in front of some recruits, because in the end this is all it is really about.

PLEASE! let's not start a Michigan thread!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just looked at the espn B10 blog. 5 of the 1st 10 articles had something to do with Michigan/Harbaugh. It's ridiculous, how much of a pimp for Harbaugh ESPN is.

I just looked at the espn B10 blog. 5 of the 1st 10 articles had something to do with Michigan/Harbaugh. It's ridiculous, how much of a pimp for Harbaugh ESPN is.

The ultimate trainwreck would be if Saban were to leave Alabama and Harbaugh was named Head Coach at Alabama. They would have to create another channel.

Seems like Harbaugh is intent on turning B1G football into WWF caliber entertainment.

Seems like Harbaugh is intent on turning B1G football into WWF caliber entertainment.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/jim-harbaugh-wants-wwe-to-stage-wrestlemania-in-the-big-house

From last December:

Michigan Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh revealed in a radio interview with 97.1 FM’s Stoney and Bill Wednesday that he’s friends with the Steiner brothers, a legendary tag team from Michigan, and he has an idea for what would be the biggest WWE pay-per-view of all time. Harbaugh wants WrestleMania to come to Michigan Stadium

I can imagine a Florida, Florida State, UCF, even Miami booster flying a plane over the practice field with a banner. Let your imagination run wild with what it might read.

Top Bottom