Decker, Williams, KJ and now ?

We've quickly discounted Melvin Holland. I'd love for him to get rolling.

I acknowledge that it was a small sample size (and that this could absolutely change in coming years), but Holland seemed to have even worse hands than Woli last year.

Last season's non-conference games were bad all around because the tight games did not allow some of these WRs waiting in the wings more playing time opportunities.

What I'd like to see the WRs do more often is to help out the QB by making adjustments to get themselves open.

Turn or curl back or something especially when there are busted plays.

Hope so. I like the kid. Once attended a practice where he put on a show.

This will be his 3rd year in the program. If he has the ability to be an impact player at this level we should start to see it this year. We definitely need to find a true game breaker at WR, it has been a while since we have had one. For as good a year as Maye had last season he was still #86 in the FBS in yards, #98 in yards per game, and tied for #123 in TD's. Would be awesome to see one of these big receivers we have turn into a true weapon.

This will be his 3rd year in the program. If he has the ability to be an impact player at this level we should start to see it this year. We definitely need to find a true game breaker at WR, it has been a while since we have had one. For as good a year as Maye had last season he was still #86 in the FBS in yards, #98 in yards per game, and tied for #123 in TD's. Would be awesome to see one of these big receivers we have turn into a true weapon.

Maybe a new OC and some protection for Mitch will make a difference.

Mitch certainly looked different in my mind after Tracy took over. Maybe they can get these WR's some space or opportunities.

I acknowledge that it was a small sample size (and that this could absolutely change in coming years), but Holland seemed to have even worse hands than Woli last year.

100% true. But I also recall KJ Maye had stone hands his first 2.5 seasons and then suddenly started catching anything and everything. A lot of difference between an underclassman and upperclassman when it comes to game speed and comfortability.

I think Woli will want to make a statement as an upperclassman.
Still is my pick as up and comer.
Would really like to see the others step up too.

Based strictly on what little we've seen in games I'd most like to see Carter and Gentry. IMO their athleticism jumped off the screen, and Carter seems sure-handed, which had been a sight for sore eyes, until KJs gradual emergence into a clutch player particularly in 2015.

100% true. But I also recall KJ Maye had stone hands his first 2.5 seasons and then suddenly started catching anything and everything. A lot of difference between an underclassman and upperclassman when it comes to game speed and comfortability.

They don't let underclassmen use stickum. It is a long held tradition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think Carter will replace KJ. I don't think he can run the sweep or take the beating Maye did. I would tap Rodney Smith for that. He did a little of it last year for us. Brooks did as well, but I think they're going to us him as primary running back. Lingen or Still would be my candidates for who leads us in receiving. Gentry could surprise, but he needs to stay healthy and on top of his schoolwork. Phillip Howard might be a bigger KJ in a few years. Carter could be a good outside threat and Woli should keep pace with what he has done so far for us. I don't think either will emerge but Leidner proved last year he can spread the ball around so there should be enough of targets for everyone. It would be nice to see Holland put the pieces together because he has very good size and at least in high school he could make plays. It will be fun to see who develops over the next 8 months.

We've quickly discounted Melvin Holland. I'd love for him to get rolling.

I watched him closely this past Spring and think he will eventually break out... I thought he had good hands and a quick first move after catching the ball..... He dropped a sure first down pass in an early game, and they never really looked his way again.

With a year under their belts, I look for he and Gentry to take a big stride this year.

Top Bottom