Pitino on last game against Northwestern: I did a horrible job of preparing the guys

An interesting question and an interesting comparison.

Objectively, Collins is probably ahead of Pitino through year three, albeit slightly because the non-conference records are so hard to compare from one team to the next....so we should probably focus on the conference record. Collins has a slight lead that will likely grow by the end of this year.

In my opinion, the roster make-up is better at Northwestern today. The junior and senior classes are significantly better at Northwestern than they are at Minnesota. That is at least partially on the prior coaches and of course roster management of the current coaches. Collins wins there.

Collins also had a much better year one recruiting when you consider Law/McIntosh/Lindsey/Skelley against Mason/Martin/Konate/Diedhiou. Frankly, it's not even very close.

But then the last two recruiting cycles I prefer the classes that the Gophers signed. So I would fully expect the win/loss gap to close moving forward if our guy can coach because we lose less and gain more over the next couple years.

If you look solely at record (which is the bottom line, I get it) it is getting harder every day to defend Pitino. But I'm still holding out hope not based on the negative trend line exhibited by the wins and losses as you pointed out, but on the positive trend line exhibited by the recruiting improvements over the last three years.

Expectations will rise (as they should) and results will need to follow.

Well thought out, and objective. Thanks for the thoughts. Refreshing to have conversations or disagreements on the board once in a while that don't turn toxic.

The only way Pitino could have avoided this mess was to have hit a home run with his first full class, a class he had one summer to recruit - which he obviously had a couple of misses on. The idea that we should be good by his third year- just because it is his third year, fail in terms of understanding whole situation.

I don't think 'good' is the standard by which we're judging him. We all knew this wasn't going to be a great year and expected something similar to last year. This is much worse than that. It's the worst Gopher team I've ever seen. And while I'm excited for next year's class, they aren't the Fab 5.

The only way Pitino could have avoided this mess was to have hit a home run with his first full class, a class he had one summer to recruit - which he obviously had a couple of misses on. The idea that we should be good by his third year- just because it is his third year, fail in terms of understanding whole situation.

If your entire strategy is jucos, academically/ego risky players, and raw players...this is the risk you run. A team void of upperclassmen and players that have minimal time in the system.

What if I don't think we should be good by his third year, but do think we should be at least 1-10 through 11 B1G games in his third year?

Serious question here - how are ugly blowout losses not an indication of coaching and player abilities but a few close losses are?

I'm not sure where I ever argued any of these things.

I'm simply commenting on the ridiculous hyperbole he constantly posts here. Their record pretty much speaks for itself, no need to exaggerate things like his is doing.

There's no way in hell anyone thought back then the team would be like this including you. Sort of rewriting history if one tries to put this season in the light of necessary growing pains as part of some master plan we don't understand. In retrospect he made a bunch of mistakes. IMO, it was a combination of youth and arrogance. Only hope is that he's learned, and we'll benefit from it since the program has certainly paid for his on the job training.

There's no way in hell anyone thought back then the team would be like this including you. Sort of rewriting history if one tries to put this season in the light of necessary growing pains as part of some master plan we don't understand. In retrospect he made a bunch of mistakes. IMO, it was a combination of youth and arrogance. Only hope is that he's learned, and we'll benefit from it since the program has certainly paid for his on the job training.

Perfectly stated.

Perfectly stated.

Agreed. And I for one, as a Pitino supporter as far as this board goes, am not satisfied, not content with what happened this season. I defend him here based on the fact the vocal majority feels it's time to abandon ship. Barring him losing the team completely (and I don't think he is anywhere near that today) there is no justifiable reason to fire him at this juncture if the goal is a successful long term solution.

Top Bottom