Pitino on last game against Northwestern: I did a horrible job of preparing the guys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

The Gophers (6-16 overall,; 0-10 in the Big Ten) head to the greater Chicago area on Wednesday having dropped their last five by seven points or fewer.

But Minnesota’s Thursday opponent – Northwestern – provides a reminder of the stretch that came immediately prior to the Gophers’ seemingly improved play: a pair of 25-point losses that began with a 77-52 loss to the Wildcats at Williams Arena.

On Wednesday, coach Richard Pitino put the blame for that ugly blowout squarely on his own head.

“I did a horrible job preparing the guys for that game,” he said after watching tape of the Jan. 9 rout. “That was not a great game plan. I looked at [the film] and said ‘OK, what were we trying to do from an offensive standpoint?’ I thought defensively, we just had breakdowns. But from an offensive standpoint, I did not like what I gave the guys, so I’ve got to do a better job of that and put them in positions to succeed.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-o...horrible-job-of-preparing-the-guys/367528611/

Go Gophers!!

How optimistic are you that Richard will have the Gophers prepared for Northwestern *and* how effective will it be for this game?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm 88.5% certain they will be ready and 77.5% certain it will be effective.

Great idea to bring it up on NSD for football. Good way to bury it in the sports news cycle.

Was there a game plan tonight?[/

#Gophers ass't Nate Pomeday with the Northwestern scouting report. Look forward to seeing the plan of attack. Very winnable game tonight.

From Doogie

After tonight, for the first time I think anything is on the table. Anything.

Wonder when the last time (if ever) Northwestern beat a team twice in the same season by 24+ points? Or even 20?

Wonder when the last time (if ever) Northwestern beat a team twice in the same season by 24+ points? Or even 20?

I want to agree with this, but with a huge buyout, a risk-averse president and still no permanent AD, I can't see them axing Pitino after the season, no matter how much it's looking like he deserves it.

The buyout means nothing, if we had an AD in place i would think he would be gone....Going to give him another year....Anything short of dramatic improvement next year and he will be canned midseason.

The buyout means nothing, if we had an AD in place i would think he would be gone....Going to give him another year....Anything short of dramatic improvement next year and he will be canned midseason.
Unless dad takes him to UNLV.

This game is what happens when a real young team has a real bad night. That's what happened- I lived through 86-87 as a fan- I've seen this before under Clem, only that was worse, perhaps much worse. They will win a few at the end of the year and then be pretty good next year. McBrayer who is going to be really good, was really bad. Murphy got his usual quick fouls. Konate got his fumble hands back. Mason was off and Dorsey who played hard got stuffed repeatedly. King did nothing. Morris did nothing. Buggs did nothing. So 14 big points from our leaders, no help there for the struggling youngsters.

Right now none of these guys have any confidence that the ball is going to go in when they shoot it. McBrayer and Dorsey don't even consider open threes now. That's a big deal- it affects everything and it takes the energy out of players. Right now the team is shooting 41% fg% and 32% 3pt % for the year and it is far worse in the BT I'm sure. Shooting is a fundamental issue here.

This game is what happens when a real young team has a real bad night. That's what happened- I lived through 86-87- I've seen this before under Clem, only that was worse, perhaps much worse. They will win a few at the end of the year and then be pretty good next year. McBrayer who is going to be really good, was really bad. Murphy got his usual quick fouls. Konate got his fumble hands back. Mason was off and Dorsey who played hard got stuffed repeatedly. King did nothing. Morris did nothing. Buggs did nothing. So 14 big points from our leaders, no help there for the struggling youngsters.

From the remaining schedule how do u get three wins?....I assume u meant Rutgers twice and maybe B10 tourney?....They are going to get blown out every game the rest of the season except for Rutgers at home.....Richard will get his fat buyout next year and the program will start over again, hopefully with a couple of good recruits staying.

I want to agree with this, but with a huge buyout, a risk-averse president and still no permanent AD, I can't see them axing Pitino after the season, no matter how much it's looking like he deserves it.

How many millions will be lost with 4,000 season tickets next year?

This game is what happens when a real young team has a real bad night. That's what happened- I lived through 86-87 as a fan- I've seen this before under Clem, only that was worse, perhaps much worse. They will win a few at the end of the year and then be pretty good next year. McBrayer who is going to be really good, was really bad. Murphy got his usual quick fouls. Konate got his fumble hands back. Mason was off and Dorsey who played hard got stuffed repeatedly. King did nothing. Morris did nothing. Buggs did nothing. So 14 big points from our leaders, no help there for the struggling youngsters.

Right now none of these guys have any confidence that the ball is going to go in when they shoot it. McBrayer and Dorsey don't even consider open threes now. That's a big deal- it affects everything and it takes the energy out of players. Right now the team is shooting 41% fg% and 32% 3pt % for the year and it is far worse in the BT I'm sure. Shooting is a fundamental issue here.

Appreciate your dedication to going down with the ship Beeg. But if even SS is looking to jump off you must be getting lonely. If this was year 1, I'd be with you. This is year 3. That makes this completely unacceptable. He will not be able to bail enough water next year to save himself, so why wait?

Pretty sure he has 5 years left on his contract. Pretty sure Pitino will win 20 games next year. Wooden could be coaching these guys and struggle. He screwed up the roster. Next year he doesn't have minus 3 players on his roster....just as a beginning point.

They are going to get blown out every game the rest of the season except for Rutgers at home.....

That's impressive how quickly you apparently wiped the memories of the 5 previous games that were all very close, 3 of which were against very good teams.

There is a zero percent chance he gets fired this year. None. Forget it. Stop spitting in the wind.

Things will get better. The team is not a 24 hour news cycle.

Appreciate your dedication to going down with the ship Beeg. But if even SS is looking to jump off you must be getting lonely. If this was year 1, I'd be with you. This is year 3. That makes this completely unacceptable. He will not be able to bail enough water next year to save himself, so why wait?

I think most logical fans understand how bright the future looks with our returning young talent and influx of talent and even experience next year. Plus we only lose Buggs to graduation next year. You aren't encouraged enough by that and our 5 games before tonight?

If Pitino is around to coach Mason's senior year, I'm happy to bet we will make the tournament that year and the following year.

My intent here is not to ruffle any feathers but my questions are to bga1 and underground629. What has Pitino done that gives you great confidence in the team next year? Is it because he coached the NIT winners a couple of seasons back? Some folks would say it had less to do with his coaching and more to do with the team having the skills from Tubby's coaching. Is it because this team will be a year older and we have great recruits coming in? Some folks would say that if they don't have great coaching they won't have the skills to be great players.

Again, I'm asking serious questions as my interest in this team is at an all time low and I'm looking for hope. Any hope.

Appreciate your dedication to going down with the ship Beeg. But if even SS is looking to jump off you must be getting lonely. ...

Understand how that would be your interpretation of what I said, Howeda, but I wouldn't say I'm looking to jump off. My point after last night is -- for the very first time -- I'm acknowledging it's possible (with an emphasis on possible) that Pitino might not survive the carnage of this season. Up until last night I've been thinking he absolutely gets Year 4 no matter what. Now I'm not as confident about that, especially if a new AD arrives by early to mid April.

Let's say the Gophers are 1-18 (including the BTT) vs. B1G competition and the solo win is Rutgers. I'm just saying whoever the (interim or new) AD is will have to do some serious soul searching on the state/trajectory of the entire program, evaluating the talent in it, the coaches leading it, etc.

LOL, Pitino earned year four when he brought in a top 20 recruiting class. Semmer down

My intent here is not to ruffle any feathers but my questions are to bga1 and underground629. What has Pitino done that gives you great confidence in the team next year? Is it because he coached the NIT winners a couple of seasons back? Some folks would say it had less to do with his coaching and more to do with the team having the skills from Tubby's coaching. Is it because this team will be a year older and we have great recruits coming in? Some folks would say that if they don't have great coaching they won't have the skills to be great players.

Again, I'm asking serious questions as my interest in this team is at an all time low and I'm looking for hope. Any hope.

Two of the starters off that NIT team and two rotational players were Pitino recruits, not to mention a slimmed down Mo Walker. You don't get to change the narrative to fit your convenience. Pitino absolutely had his fingerprints on that team

From the remaining schedule how do u get three wins?....I assume u meant Rutgers twice and maybe B10 tourney?....They are going to get blown out every game the rest of the season except for Rutgers at home.....Richard will get his fat buyout next year and the program will start over again, hopefully with a couple of good recruits staying.

What's your definition of blown out? 10+?

I'll take that bet. Of the 11 conference games, they've finished within 9 points 7 times.

Some could say that he has also never had a very talented team either. Pitino deserves some credit for the NIT run. Some would argue Mathieu was the MVP of that season.

I've said it many times that I don't know if Pitino can be a good coach. I think next year will really give us a good indication if he can or cannot get it done. I know the talent will be young for the most part, but the roster will be very talented in my opinion.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else. At this point I am fine either way: fire him or give him another year. But if it is bad again, then it is time to pull the plug.

Two of the starters off that NIT team and two rotational players were Pitino recruits, not to mention a slimmed down Mo Walker. You don't get to change the narrative to fit your convenience. Pitino absolutely had his fingerprints on that team

I don't actually have a narrative, bemidjigopher. Nice try. But since you brought it up, what happened then between the NIT run (using two of his starters and two rotational players) and now? Serious question. Did we really lose THAT much talent?

Understand how that would be your interpretation of what I said, Howeda, but I wouldn't say I'm looking to jump off. My point after last night is -- for the very first time -- I'm acknowledging it's possible (with an emphasis on possible) that Pitino might not survive the carnage of this season. Up until last night I've been thinking he absolutely gets Year 4 no matter what. Now I'm not as confident about that, especially if a new AD arrives by early to mid April. Let's say the Gophers are 1-18 (including the BTT) vs. B1G competition and the solo win is Rutgers. I'm just saying whoever the (interim or new) AD is will have to do some serious soul searching on the state/trajectory of the entire program, evaluating the talent in it, the coaches leading it, etc.

Assuming they finish 1-18 in the B1G isn't the only possible trajectory really up? :)

Some could say that he has also never had a very talented team either. Pitino deserves some credit for the NIT run. Some would argue Mathieu was the MVP of that season.

I've said it many times that I don't know if Pitino can be a good coach. I think next year will really give us a good indication if he can or cannot get it done. I know the talent will be young for the most part, but the roster will be very talented in my opinion.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else. At this point I am fine either way: fire him or give him another year. But if it is bad again, then it is time to pull the plug.

Agreed. I really, REALLY want a successful program and I don't care who the coach is as long as the program is successful and something to be proud of.

Top Bottom