WBB: Gophers v Rutgers: B1G Game 11 (2/4)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Rutgers Road Woes

Rutgers (4-6) arrives at Williams Arena winless on the road in the B1G. Last Saturday, Rutgers defeated Nebraska in New Jersey, 66-56, avenging an early season loss to the Cornhuskers 65-54. Yes, the Scarlet Knights play low scoring games. In B1G play, Rutgers scores 61.1 points/game (the B1G’s worst offense) while giving up 62 points/game (the B1G’s best defense).

Minnesota’s (6-4) season opener at Rutgers was tied at 49 with four minutes remaining before Rutgers pulled away for the win. Wagner scored 22 and Banham 17. Minnesota opened a 9 point lead (40-31) in the third quarter before Rutgers’ pressure produced panic in Piscataway.

In two games versus Minnesota, Tyler Scaife has scored 51 points (23 this season and 28 last season). Briyona Canty has 18 assists and 4 turnovers (10 assists this season and 8 assists last season).

Rutgers B1G Record:

B1G Wins: Minnesota (66-55), Wisconsin (61-41), Illinois (67-54), Nebraska (66-56)

B1G Losses: @ Iowa (69-65), @ Ohio State (90-78), @ Nebraska (65-54), @ Michigan State (59-48), Ohio State (67-58), @ Indiana (64-48)

Probable Starters:

G Tyler Scaife 18.6 points per game
F Kahleah Cooper 14.5
C Rachel Hollivay 8.6
G Briyona Canty 7.1
G Shrita Parker 5.1

Also:
F Ariel Butts 2.1 (Started in place of Parker versus Nebraska to help counter the Husker’s height)

It's a gold out if you are going to the game! Gophers are giving out gold shirts if you get there early.

I don't want to say must win because we are 6-4, and it's still early and anything could happen.
But yeah, definitely would like to take this one at home. Don't give Scaife any room to operate! The rest of the team is offensively challenged.

65 Minnesota
57 Rutgers

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...utgers-coach-c-vivian-stringer-dies/79791228/

Rutgers announced the death of Thelma Stoner on Wednesday. Williamson Mortuary says Stoner, of Riverdale, Georgia, died on Monday.

Stringer missed a game on Jan. 16 against Nebraska to be with her mother during her illness.

The 67-year-old Stringer thanked her "friends, fans and members of the Rutgers Athletics community who have reached out with sympathy and support during these past difficult weeks."

Assistant coach Timothy Eatman will take over head coaching duties when the Scarlet Knights travel to Minnesota and Penn State this week.

85-72 win. Banham 24. Wagner 22. Gophers played much better team ball than Rutgers tonight. Good ball rotation and spacing on offense. They let Copper shoot wide open too often but she is a pure shooter. Rutgers has too many Carlos Morris type run n gun players. Had to laugh at Banham working the ref on her 1st foul in the 4th quarter. They were playing her tightly but she still got her points. This was the first time they have beaten Rutgers and it was a necessary W given the standings.

That was a solid game by the Gophers. Minnesota solved the Rutgers press (a complete turnaround from the game in Piscataway) and defeated a Scarlet Knight’s team that was desperate for a win. Mullaney and Hedstrom hit double figures again and continue to flummox the opposition. Stollings seemed able to get the match-ups she wanted (although Copper did score 31).

Rutgers swatted away some early Gopher shots and took the lead; but the Gophers settled down behind Rachel’s onslaught (19 points in the first half) and steadily pulled away over the final 35 minutes. As GringaGopher said, Rutgers tried to keep pace with the Gopher offense for a while; but that's not their game. The Scarlet Knights got in serious foul trouble and I think the constant rotation of Minnesota players helped wear down Rutgers.

The ladies should make the dance, right?

Any projection as to what seed they may get?

Not trying to put you on the spot or anything.:rolleyes:

This was probably the best all around game I've seen the Gophers play this season. Very impressed. The Gophers handled the Rutgers press very well.
Banham 24 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 3 stl
Wagner 22 pts, 3 reb, 1 ast
They actually got help from
Mullaney 17 pts, 4 reb, 1 ast
And a competent outing from a post player
Edwards 8 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk

They made Copper look like a draft pick
31 pts, 9 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk
but they got win and go to 7-4 in the conference

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/020416aae.html

Rachel Banham: On how they moved the ball in the second half:
"We had great ball movement. We found some isos for Carlie [Wagner] and got her to the basket. Shayne [Mullaney] was scoring in different ways, as well. Jo [Hedstrom] hit a couple threes. Just a lot of variety. We're really hard to guard because we all can shoot and we all can drive. It's fun when we play like that."

Points in the paint:

Minnesota: 30
Rutgers: 24

Starters:

Lamke
Banham
Starr
Bailey
Wagner

Minutes Played:

36 Banham: 24 points
36 Wagner: 22 points (7-7 from the line)
29 Mullaney: 17 points (9-10 from the line)
25 Edwards: 8 points and 8 rebounds
22 Bailey
21 Starr
16 Hedstrom: 11 points (2-2 from three)
14 Barnes
1 Lamke

NEXT GAME:

At Northwestern
Day: Sunday
Date: Feb. 7, 2016
Time: 2:00 p.m. CT

Coverage:
TV: BTN
Radio: 1500 ESPN

I think they need 10-11 wins in conference play. A signature win would help because of their RPI rating.

I think they need 10-11 wins in conference play. A signature win would help because of their RPI rating.

Think they need more than 1 signature win. With where the RPI is that won't be enough. It's more about who they beat down the stretch than how many conference wins they get.

Win the 3 remaining home games & split the MSU/Maryland road games, and I'll like their chances. I'd add it'd be wise not to lose @ Northwestern.

Think they need more than 1 signature win. With where the RPI is that won't be enough. It's more about who they beat down the stretch than how many conference wins they get.

Win the 3 remaining home games & split the MSU/Maryland road games, and I'll like their chances. I'd add it'd be wise not to lose @ Northwestern.

They need to win 3 of the next 4 and steal one @ home against OSU. I think it will be difficult to beat MSU or Maryland on the road. The OSU game will feature a battle between the 2 leading scorers , Banham vs Mitchell. I really hope they get to the dance for # 1!

Hopefully it's not all about rpi. That system obviously has its flaws. I tried to find a P5 school with a comparable conference record and a lower rpi.... I couldn't do it. The next highest P5 school with the same conference record is Nebraska at #67, and they've only recently have been playing well.

Top Bottom