DeMarcus Williams, Dual Threat QB, Alabama GOLDEN!

Maybe even he should have started last year

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Our only 2 star commit........and now he would've started last year.

wow..................

I like the young QB stable the Gophers are developing. Position flexible too. Welcome aboard!

At this point the more the merrier in order to add depth if nothing else to the position. But put me in the camp that doesn't want any position flexibility out of these guys. I want us bringing in QB's that are a lock to stay at the position, not guys that might work out at QB or could be a WR or whatever. When we sign a QB my hope is that he never gets talked about playing a different position.

It could also be true that the Gophers really have no plans to play him at QB and in their minds he is a receiver. Maybe they don't want to burst that bubble yet.

I like the young QB stable the Gophers are developing. Position flexible too. Welcome aboard!

At this point the more the merrier in order to add depth if nothing else to the position. But put me in the camp that doesn't want any position flexibility out of these guys. I want us bringing in QB's that are a lock to stay at the position, not guys that might work out at QB or could be a WR or whatever. When we sign a QB my hope is that he never gets talked about playing a different position.

per Joe:

The Gophers added a second quarterback to this year’s recruiting class overnight, when DeMarcus Williams, from Jackson, Al., gave them a verbal commitment ahead of today's signing day.

Williams joins former East Ridge standout Seth Green as quarterbacks who are expected to sign with the Gophers on Wednesday, for national signing day.

Both are dual threat quarterbacks, but the 6-1, 190-pound Williams is more of an under-the-radar talent, a consensus two-star recruit who picked Minnesota over Jacksonville State, the FCS school where former Gophers quarterback Max Shortell transferred in 2013.

The Gophers had long planned to sign two quarterbacks in this year’s class, with Mitch Leidner entering his senior year and Demry Croft entering his sophomore year. The Gophers shifted their focus to Williams once Jay Johnson was hired as offensive coordinator.

http://www.startribune.com/demarcus-williams-a-qb-from-alabama-commits-to-gophers/367229041/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It could also be true that the Gophers really have no plans to play him at QB and in their minds he is a receiver. Maybe they don't want to burst that bubble yet.

Yep, wasn't necessarily referring to Williams as like most I had never heard of the kid until he committed. He may be someone that is looked at as a possible QB but could play elsewhere which is fine as long as you have a sure fire QB in the class which Green appears to be for us (I know Oregon was looking at him as a TE). If Green doesn't pan out as a QB then it would be a major failure on the part of the staff at recruiting the most important position again this year. Hopefully that is not the case though and Seth has an awesome Gopher career under center.

We needed another QB. He will be in the mix with Croft and Green in 2017. He along with Croft and Green are the three in 2017.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Red Shirt candidate? Do we expect Seth to RS as well? I would assume as Croft will be the backup this year.

Red Shirt candidate? Do we expect Seth to RS as well? I would assume as Croft will be the backup this year.

Spring will be the tell tale sign. This is Mitch's team, but it would be nice to see a platoon with Croft or Green of some sort.

We will definitely have competition at QB. Don't count this kid out.

The one with the greatest will and hard work will win out. Competition will make them all better.

We will definitely have competition at QB. Don't count this kid out.

The one with the greatest will and hard work will win out. Competition will make them all better.

Rudy might tell you that talent plays into it too.

Love this kids film, has a nice build as well, kid does not look like a two star. Alabama HS football puts Minnesota to shame

I think QB is the most difficult position to evaluate on film.

That said, he looks like a natural QB to me. His throws weren't the typical spread option QB throws. He was hitting timing routes (slants) and it looked like he had good accuracy. I get it, it's a highlight film, but he looked like a QB to me.

Way too early strange prediction - - - there is a better chance Seth Green switches positions than this kid.

I long ago gave up forming opinions on QBs in terms of throwing abilities based on highlights. Its impossible. But athletically this kid looks great. Could be one of the most explosive guys on the roster right away

When was the last time we had QB recruits with film like his or Green's? Just saying we don't see it that often and would be a nice trend going forward. I'm not concerned about locking a player into a position, more concerned about talent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When was the last time we had QB recruits with film like his or Green's? Just saying we don't see it that often and would be a nice trend going forward. I'm not concerned about locking a player into a position, more concerned about talent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Streveler. Athletically he's still extremely gifted, just couldn't throw at all

Competition at QB is important. It is only recently that we have realized that and should very good.

I think our QB's have a much better chance with the new OC/QB coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Competition at QB is important. It is only recently that we have realized that and should very good.

How do you figure? Just glancing back at the classes since Kill/Claeys took over at the guys they at least gave a shot at QB to. (I'm fuzzy on the 2011...I think it was a combo of Brew/Kill). It appears they made QB a priority. Plus throw in a couple of PWO in Perra and Rhoda.

Max Shortell
Dexter Foreman

Mitch Leidner
Philip Nelson

Chris Streveler
Donovahn Jones

Dimonic Roden-McKinzy

Demry Croft

Seth Green
DeMarcus Williams

Now you can argue that maybe they reached or identified the wrong attributes or couldn't develop them. That would make some sense considering Claeys fired the OC and the QB coach. Saying it wasn't a priority seems a bit off.

Here's to hoping that Claeys/Johnson identify the right guys and develop them.

Top Bottom