WBB: MNDaily-Gophers Luring Transfers Back in-State

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2016/02/01/gophers-luring-transfers-back-state

The two newest transfers, sophomore guard Kenisha Bell and sophomore center Bryanna Fernstrom, are still awaiting their debuts. Bell and Fernstrom both practice with the team but are currently sitting out for one year due to NCAA transfer rules.

Bell, also a Minneapolis native, was added to the team in April after transferring from Marquette University. She’ll be eligible to play for the Gophers at the beginning of next season.

“When I went down to Marquette, I didn’t really like it,” Bell said. “[But] when I left, I got a call saying, ‘[Minnesota] still wants you,’ so I was happy. … It was just a good feeling, the atmosphere here.”

Bell averaged 14.5 points per game at Marquette, a school record for a freshman. Stollings said Bell’s speed and scoring ability fit the Gophers up-tempo style of play, which runs through the team’s guards.

“[Bell] is going to give us a true combo guard who is as fast as anybody in the Big Ten,” Stollings said.

Fernstrom, a Center City, Minn., native, transferred to Minnesota in January from Iowa State University. She started 12 of 15 games for the Cyclones her sophomore year before switching schools and averaged 9.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. She’ll be eligible to play after next season’s fall semester.

“I came back to Minnesota because I felt like the program had really shifted in a positive direction,” Fernstrom said. “It’s still heading that way. The new coaches are great, and they’re really turning the program around.”

It's going to seem awfully different with Banham, Mullaney and Bailey all gone. Been watching them for 4 years.....all seem like great gals.

Edit: There is something enjoyable about watching basketball being played "below the rim". Maybe it is an oldtimer thing.

Top Bottom