Reusse calls Beth Goetz an "empty suit" says she'll soon be Gophers AD

I would enjoy an AD who has the gall to challenge the coaches to perform more than consistent mediocrity.

The Goetz hate is all because she is a woman and several people just assume a woman could never make the football team good again. They will tell you thats not the reason....but thats the reason.

Why else would Najarian be a "qualified candidate" he used to play football and likes football.
Why not make Kevin McHale a candidate while we are at it...

At this point we may as well nominate Flip....

Reusse isn't a troll.

He actually believes the s*** he says, and there are enough self hating booger eaters in Minnesota to give him a sizeable market.

I'd care more about Reusse's spouting off on this if ESPN 1500's ratings weren't absolutely dismal. That said, more people on this message board are talking about Reusse's comments than actually heard him say it live. Too bad that won't sell ad revenue for him.

The Goetz hate is all because she is a woman and several people just assume a woman could never make the football team good again. They will tell you thats not the reason....but thats the reason.

This is Minnesota. There are just as many, if not more, folks arguing she SHOULD get the gig because she's a woman as there are people who don't want her to get it for that reason.

So no one could be opposed to her because the biggest sport she has overseen in her career as an administrator is gopher womens basketball and Butler volleyball (outside of these few months as an interim ad)?

This program has some major challenges on the fundraising and facilities front now and in the foreseeable future. Football has made major strides but the men's basketball and men's hockey teams are far from fulfilling their necessary potential for revenue generation right now and it may take years to fix both. Had Norwood Teague not destroyed his career and rightfully lost his job and instead left in a few years under more controlled circumstances to take another job, I doubt Beth Goetz would even be in the conversation as his permanent replacement. Who was she before this mess happened? The U of M needs a strong CEO type with experience and connections in the major college sports world. I get a distinctly middle management vibe off of Beth Goetz. That she's in the chair now might entitle her to consideration, but it shouldn't be handed to her because she's already there. If a full scale search is performed, I have a hard time believing a better willing candidate wouldn't turn up, and regardless of gender before anyone goes there.

I personally question the bolded part. I have a tough time believing that had Norwood resigned for health reasons or because he won the Powerball or because he decided to pursue his dream of following One Direction on tour that the number 2 in command would not have been considered a viable candidate.

Now I grant, had he announced his resignation in October and worked through July, she would have been much less likely to get the job. And frankly, there's still questions as to her roll in the excessive expenditures (which didn't seem excessive to me in the grand scheme of college athletics, but this is MN so we have to make a big deal out of a $100 meal) and the question as to whether she was aware of Norwood's "moves" before they were reported.

But if you said you have a candidate that's second in charge at a Power 5 school's athletic department that increased their revenue by around 30% over the last two years, and that the sports that individual had overseen had several conference championships as well as overall success for the vast majority of teams, you wouldn't consider that individual? Especially when "insiders" think that individual is a rising star that's seen rapid promotion due to the abilities they've displayed? Oh, and that individual is already AT YOUR SCHOOL? How could you not consider her a serious candidate?

I personally question the bolded part. I have a tough time believing that had Norwood resigned for health reasons or because he won the Powerball or because he decided to pursue his dream of following One Direction on tour that the number 2 in command would not have been considered a viable candidate.

Now I grant, had he announced his resignation in October and worked through July, she would have been much less likely to get the job. And frankly, there's still questions as to her roll in the excessive expenditures (which didn't seem excessive to me in the grand scheme of college athletics, but this is MN so we have to make a big deal out of a $100 meal) and the question as to whether she was aware of Norwood's "moves" before they were reported.

But if you said you have a candidate that's second in charge at a Power 5 school's athletic department that increased their revenue by around 30% over the last two years, and that the sports that individual had overseen had several conference championships as well as overall success for the vast majority of teams, you wouldn't consider that individual? Especially when "insiders" think that individual is a rising star that's seen rapid promotion due to the abilities they've displayed? Oh, and that individual is already AT YOUR SCHOOL? How could you not consider her a serious candidate?
Mic drop

Top Bottom