Reusse calls Beth Goetz an "empty suit" says she'll soon be Gophers AD

Just listened to the podcast and another pathetic attempt by Pat to entertain, enlighten, or agitate. First of all, she's answering questions posed by Sid. Sort of like trying to be polite to your goofy, senile grandpa. Within a minute of telling Sid that the track location isn't set yet because things are in the design stage, Sid interrupts another answer and asks, "Do you have a location for the track." Second, not sure why folks expect her to tell them if she's an AD candidate. She did say that she wants to be a part of what's going on ("Look forward to being engaged"), but she sure as hell isn't going to come out and say I'm a candidate before they officially start the search.

She gave a political answer to the fundraising but did say eventually there will be a public phase. Sid goes, "Studies on a lot of things. Any problems?" Goetz said nothing major has been found found but they have some small things to take care of. Attendance question was brushed over, but, again, talking to Sid isn't the place anyone with half a brain would expect anything substantial. She ended by making it sound like having the first football game during the State Fair will continue to be a goal.

Just a harmless guest appearance on someone's show who Reusse constantly makes fun of, but it's enough for Pat to call her an, "Empty suit." Next to Sid, I'd probably put him as the next most eligible person who should hang it up.

Goetz is auditioning for the job right now. Kaler, some regents, the big hitters, and the coaches are going to determine if she gets the job. They're going to know a hell of a lot better than Reusse or those of us on GH whether or not she can do the job.

Goetz is auditioning for the job right now. Kaler, some regents, the big hitters, and the coaches are going to determine if she gets the job. They're going to know a hell of a lot better than Reusse or those of us on GH whether or not she can do the job.

Yup. Because the U Admin has never made a bad hire.

And I call Pat still Phat.

Gotta take Pat for what he has become. One of the best trolls in the Twin Cities. That's it.

Honestly that is a lot of the sports media....

Whatever it takes to get the clicks, twitter followers, any kinda response etc.

Yup. Because the U Admin has never made a bad hire.

Of course they have. But my point still stands. Seeing how she does the job for over half a year will give them a much better idea if she can do the job or not than any of us or Reusse. Don't care who gets the job as long as they're qualified. Just don't think somebody should be automatically disqualified because she's a woman which is what this gets down to for many.

Why do we post anything this man writes? He has zero credibility with me since he's moved on to the radio and tried to stir up controversy on a daily basis to boost low ratings.

Agreed. He's trolling. Guess that passes as journalism these days for guys like him.

Just listened to the podcast and another pathetic attempt by Pat to entertain, enlighten, or agitate. First of all, she's answering questions posed by Sid. Sort of like trying to be polite to your goofy, senile grandpa. Within a minute of telling Sid that the track location isn't set yet because things are in the design stage, Sid interrupts another answer and asks, "Do you have a location for the track." Second, not sure why folks expect her to tell them if she's an AD candidate. She did say that she wants to be a part of what's going on ("Look forward to being engaged"), but she sure as hell isn't going to come out and say I'm a candidate before they officially start the search.

She gave a political answer to the fundraising but did say eventually there will be a public phase. Sid goes, "Studies on a lot of things. Any problems?" Goetz said nothing major has been found found but they have some small things to take care of. Attendance question was brushed over, but, again, talking to Sid isn't the place anyone with half a brain would expect anything substantial. She ended by making it sound like having the first football game during the State Fair will continue to be a goal.

Just a harmless guest appearance on someone's show who Reusse constantly makes fun of, but it's enough for Pat to call her an, "Empty suit." Next to Sid, I'd probably put him as the next most eligible person who should hang it up.

Great response. Love Sid but time for him to give up the Sunday morning show.

Why do we post anything this man writes? He has zero credibility with me since he's moved on to the radio and tried to stir up controversy on a daily basis to boost low ratings.

Exactly, only post things that say how special we are.:banghead:

My whole thought on this is say Teague leaves via his own reasons, does Goetz even get an interview I doubt it she is in over her head which means the U will hire her.

My whole thought on this is say Teague leaves via his own reasons, does Goetz even get an interview I doubt it she is in over her head which means the U will hire her.

Teague's "own reasons" was his MEGATOUNGE.

Re: the pro-Najarian camp. I would have no problem with bringing in Najarian as a fund-raiser or consultant, but hiring someone with no experience as AD of a D1 program in a major conference is a heck of a leap of faith.

Goetz is essentially getting an on-the-job audition for the AD position. The AD is an administrator, responsible for all of the sports programs at the U.

Najarian might be able to handle the job - but there's no way to know for sure until he's on the job. If you hire Najarian, and 6 months down the road, you realize he can't handle the job, then the U is hosed big-time.

Let's not forget, her job before being interim AD was basically being the COO of the department.

She already knew the inner workings of the department.

I would have no problem with bringing in Najarian as a fund-raiser or consultant

Najarian has as much experience as a fundraiser as he does working in athletic departments - both zero.

The fact that he gets so much discussion time here and in the local media is both hilarious and sad. He is an absolute non-factor in any serious discussion of candidates.

She is the living, breathing definition of an empty suit and given the U of M's bad experience with nice guy Joel Maturi and not so nice guy Norwood Teague, skipping a proper search for a qualified candidate and hiring Beth Goetz, who always has a deer in the headlights vibe, would absolutely be in character.

A WILD RUESSE APPEARS!

troll

I have heard very nice things about Beth Goetz. She might be an excellent candidate. I just have reservations about turning over a department of this size to someone who has never been an athletic director above the interim level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard very nice things about Beth Goetz. She might be an excellent candidate. I just have reservations about turning over a department of this size to someone who has never been an athletic director above the interim level. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point except we pretty much have already turned the department over to her...for the time being

Najarian has as much experience as a fundraiser as he does working in athletic departments - both zero.

The fact that he gets so much discussion time here and in the local media is both hilarious and sad. He is an absolute non-factor in any serious discussion of candidates.

Mainly due to Pat's love for him. Main reason he should not be considered. Trump might be available.

Tru dat.

AD isn't a job for a figurehead.

That, and all the Goetz hate. I have no idea how good she is at that job, I doubt anyone else here does either. My impression is she should have apparently fired and hired new basketball and hockey coaches, run the ball in on that last play vs. Michigan, and spilled the beans to the press on every little detail on what is up inside the department, short of that I don't know what folks want / think they know.

Some of the discussion on here is going to be speculative but even for this forum the whole AD discussion seems as usually disconnected from reality / short on any actual information.

I'm not any more encouraged by anyone's knowledge here when Kailor outright said they'd hire an AD in the spring at the earliest... and we still get the Oh gawd why didn't they hire anyone yet!?!?!?! mantra. I mean cripes it is some of the only actual data on this whole topic and folks didn't even pick that up....

Tru dat.

AD isn't a job for a figurehead.

That, and all the Goetz hate. I have no idea how good she is at that job, I doubt anyone else here does either. My impression is she should have apparently fired and hired new basketball and hockey coaches, run the ball in on that last play vs. Michigan, and spilled the beans to the press on every little detail on what is up inside the department, short of that I don't know what folks want / think they know.

Some of the discussion on here is going to be speculative but even for this forum the whole AD discussion seems as usually disconnected from reality / short on any actual information.

I'm not any more encouraged by anyone's knowledge here when Kailor outright said they'd hire an AD in the spring at the earliest... and we still get the Oh gawd why didn't they hire anyone yet!?!?!?! mantra. I mean cripes it is some of the only actual data on this whole topic and folks didn't even pick that up....

The Goetz hate is all because she is a woman and several people just assume a woman could never make the football team good again. They will tell you thats not the reason....but thats the reason.

Why else would Najarian be a "qualified candidate" he used to play football and likes football.
Why not make Kevin McHale a candidate while we are at it...

Beth is a smart gal and a comer in her field, but has no ties to MN; basically, we need a football guy with strong business and fundraising ties. Affirmative action, multiculturalism, should not be a factor (but then this is Minnesota, home to political correctness carried to extremes).

A WILD RUESSE APPEARS!

troll

The fact that I or someone else may have the temerity to post an opinion that differs from yours and is critical of the U of M absolutely does not make that person a troll. Get over yourself.

This program has some major challenges on the fundraising and facilities front now and in the foreseeable future. Football has made major strides but the men's basketball and men's hockey teams are far from fulfilling their necessary potential for revenue generation right now and it may take years to fix both. Had Norwood Teague not destroyed his career and rightfully lost his job and instead left in a few years under more controlled circumstances to take another job, I doubt Beth Goetz would even be in the conversation as his permanent replacement. Who was she before this mess happened? The U of M needs a strong CEO type with experience and connections in the major college sports world. I get a distinctly middle management vibe off of Beth Goetz. That she's in the chair now might entitle her to consideration, but it shouldn't be handed to her because she's already there. If a full scale search is performed, I have a hard time believing a better willing candidate wouldn't turn up, and regardless of gender before anyone goes there.

Nearly every coach has been endorsing her. She was running the department while Norwood was trying to raise money and harassing people. I think she should be the hire. However I'd like to see a fundraiser brought in .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fact that I or someone else may have the temerity to post an opinion that differs from yours and is critical of the U of M absolutely does not make that person a troll. Get over yourself.

Get use to it. Unless you pretend that last 50 years never happened and believe greatness is just around the corner, you're a troll.

Top Bottom