All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

Gophers just couldn't cash in on enough of their opportunities to get the win in this one I think the Gophers left 10 on base in this game. A big missed opportunity in the 5th as the Gophers had 1st and 3rd with nobody out but couldn't get a run as the Beavers got a strikeout and double play to get out of the inning. The Gophers also had a lead off single in the 9th and ended up loading the bases with 2 outs but couldn't get the tying run. Only 1 weekend but seems like much better quality depth on this years team. All in all a pretty solid weekend hopefully we can keep tacking up the hits going forward but do a better job of cashing in on opportunities and hopefully the pitching staff can do a better job of working ahead in the count as that seemed to be a little problem this weekend.

Gophers had a very good weekend. Couple concerns.

1. Where was Gilbreadth? He was lights out this summer in the Northwoods, but we did not see him pitch at all this weekend. Now I know things like injuries, and discipline issues, can be factors which we don't have information about. I still hope he gets a shot at starting pitcher sometime down the road.

2. The biggest concern I have right now on this team is a shut down closer. Guys like Maytas don't come around very often. I still think we will be fine in relief but still have a concern in finding a closer.

In the end, team played great this weekend!

Gophers had a very good weekend. Couple concerns.

1. Where was Gilbreadth? He was lights out this summer in the Northwoods, but we did not see him pitch at all this weekend. Now I know things like injuries, and discipline issues, can be factors which we don't have information about. I still hope he gets a shot at starting pitcher sometime down the road.

2. The biggest concern I have right now on this team is a shut down closer. Guys like Maytas don't come around very often. I still think we will be fine in relief but still have a concern in finding a closer.

In the end, team played great this weekend!
On the broadcast they said Gilbreath was 1 of the 3 that didn't make the trip. They didn't say why but my guess would be injury, hopefully they get him back he is a very valuable piece.

After this weekend I agree with Goldy that pitching is more of an issue rather than hitting. I haven't seen the stats for last weekend but I would guess as a team we hit around 350. Which is crazy considering pitchers always have a huge advantage the first weekend. Hitting usually takes a little longer to get going.

This team needs Gilbreadth without question. I think our pitching is going to be good, but we need all the pitchers we can get. If someone offered me a guy who bats 300 and will hit 10 homeruns on the year or Gilbreadth, I'd take Gilbreath in a heart beat. I think our offense is going to be very good this year, and for once we have guys on the roster that have Speed or Power or both. I just think it's our pitching that could use a little boost.

Gophers start a 3 game series at Campbell tomorrow afternoon. Looks like Campbell will have a radio broadcast on their website.

These games are not gimmes by any means. Campbell's number one and two starting pitchers are really good and they are both seniors. As a team they hit only 250 average for 4 games, so hitting my be a weakness. Considering how good their number 1 and 2 pitchers are I expect some tight ballgames.

Gophers fall 11-7 in the series opener 11-15-2 for Campbell and 7-15-2 for Minnesota. The Gophers just weren't real sharp today. They fell behind early trailing 3-0 after 1 inning and had to battle back to tie it 3-3 after 4. However they really struggled late in the game as Campbell scored 2 in the 6th and 3 each in the 7th and 8th. The Gophers didn't really string much together offensively until the 9th when they scored 4 but the game was in hand by that point. Gophers need to bounce back and win these next 2 games and take the series.

We need to win these next two games. Hopefully, Sawyer can get us back on track.

Solid performance from the Gophers for the win. Sawyer started and picked up the win going 6.1 innings giving up 7 hits and 1 earned run he also struck out 5 and walked 2. Fred Manke picked up the save with a scoreless final 2.2 innings while only giving up 1 hit, walking 1, and striking out 3. Gophers were solid in the field not committing an error. The offense generated 11 hits on the day led by Terrin Vavra who was 4-5 on the day. Dan Motl and Matt Fiedler also had 2 hits a piece and Toby Hanson had a single and continues his 6 game hitting streak. Gophers will go for the series win tomorrow at noon.

With Campbell having two really good senior starters, a split is not great but not bad either. We absolutely need to win tomorrow. We are getting hits but need to produce more runs with our hits. The freshmen Vavra this year has been absolutely crushing the ball.

I'm 'watching' via GameTracker and the note at the bottom says "GameTacker may be delayed from the live audio/video." Does that mean the game does have audio somewhere and if so, where can I listen/watch?

Gophers get the win 7-5 today and take the series 2-1. Gophers got off to a nice start with 2 runs in the top of the 1st but Campbell got 3 back in bottom of the 1st the Gophers committed an error on a wild throw to 1st on the leadoff batter and Toby Hanson would collide with the runner on that play and leave the game injured. Toby had been playing very well so hopefully the injury isn't serious but that has to be a concern right now. After that Tyler Hanson settled in and only gave up 1 hit to Campbell going 6 innings and getting the win. Gophers regained the lead in the 4th with a solo homerun from Micah Coffey to leadoff the inning and 3 singles in a row from Stemper, Riley Smith, and Scahefbauer for a run. Gophers would have chances but wouldn't score again until the 8th when Eddie Estrada got his 1st career hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd to score 2 runs. Gophers allowed Campbell to score 2 runs in the 8th on only 1 hit but the rally started with an error. Campbell did get a runner on in the 9th but the Gophers were able to close out the game for the win. Gophers had 7 runs on 14 hits and committed 3 errors Vavra, Athmann, R.Smith, and Stemper each had 2 hits. Campbell got their 5 runs on 6 hits and committed 1 error.

Good Win, I think our team this year has good depth. The freshmen position players are hitting the ball well beyond anyone's expectations. Despite our depth we need Hanson and Gilbreadth to get better soon. If anyone has any info on their injuries, can you please give us an update.

I saw that Toby Hanson was not on the probable line-up for Georgia State. I sure hope he's okay. I hope Gilbreadth is okay also. We need those two.

Gophers win 3-0. Gophers only got 5 hits but 2 of those hits were homeruns as both Dan Motl and Austin Athmann hit their 1st of the season. Matt Fiedler was very good on the mound throwing a complete game shutout only giving up 2 hits walking 2 and striking out 6.

It was a great job of pitching by Fiedler, now Sawyer needs to continue pitching like the ace pitcher we all thought he could be.

Gophers lose 4-3 in 10 innings today on a walk off homerun. Real tough loss because the Gophers really had the better of the play today. The pitching was solid only giving up 5 hits total to Georgia State. Dalton Sawyer had 1 bad inning the 2nd where he gave up a few hits and 3 runs and otherwise cruised through 5 innings of work. Tim Shannon pitched a good 2.2 innings giving up just 1 hit and Brian Glowicki had 2 strikeouts in a inning and a third before giving up the homerun. Gophers pounded out 11 hits but really struggled putting runs on the board. A couple times it looked like they had big innings started but then hit into double plays when they had 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Georgia States #9 hitter had all 4 of their RBIs hitting a big 3 run double in the 2nd and the walk off homerun. Hopefully the pitching can keep doing a solid job and the offense is able to keep hitting the ball well and convert it into more runs.

Multi hit games for Vavra, Fiedler, Coffey, Pettersen, and J. Smith. Coffey hit his 2nd homerun of the year and Eddie Estrada got his 1st college homerun on a 3 run pinch hit homerun.

Good win. Seattle next weekend is going to be tough. They are one of the top pitching teams in the NCAA. That four game series will be a good test for our Gophers.

Reading the game notes it looks like Seattle is supposed to have a video feed for this weekend on their website.

Seattle is a very good team. If we are able to split the series that would be a very good accomplishment.

Gophers lose game 2 5-4. Frustrating start to the night for the Gophers as they got 2 runs in the 1st to get a quick lead. Seattle got a walk, a soft blooper for a single, and a bunt single to load the bases with nobody out and really hitting nothing hard. Following a force out at the plate and a strikeout it looked the Gophers would escape without giving up a run as Sawyer looked to have the strikeout for the 3rd out on a pitch pretty much right down the middle but the ump called it a ball and on the next pitch Seattle got a single to tie the game. That play was just the start of a bad night for the Gophers with the home plate ump as the Gophers were on the wrong side of about 5 very key questionable calls made by the home plate ump. Seattle scored their first 4 runs with not only 2 outs but with 2 strikes on the hitters as well. The 5th run they got was just a gift as the runner reached on an error by the 2nd baseman on a very routine play, moved to 2nd and 3rd on wild pitches and scored as the throw trying to get the runner at 3rd sailed into the outfield. Gophers need to bounce back tomorrow get a win and get back to playing good baseball.

There was some questionable calls but Seattle this year is a really good team. They have won 10 of their last 11 games. I don't care who you play, that's a very good streak. Their pitching this year is about as good as anyone in the NCAA. In yesterday's game a big bat that Toby has could have made the difference. Teams like Georgia state you can still win with two of your best players out, but playing Seattle it's much tougher.

I'd put Estrada at first base and let him play. The kid seems to have a knack to get key hits when we need it. I know they are worried about his defense, but I think he has the potential to make up the difference in losing a hitter like Toby. Just having Estrada pinch hit is wasting the potential he has as a hitter.

There was some questionable calls but Seattle this year is a really good team. They have won 10 of their last 11 games. I don't care who you play, that's a very good streak. Their pitching this year is about as good as anyone in the NCAA. In yesterday's game a big bat that Toby has could have made the difference. Teams like Georgia state you can still win with two of your best players out, but playing Seattle it's much tougher.

I'd put Estrada at first base and let him play. The kid seems to have a knack to get key hits when we need it. I know they are worried about his defense, but I think he has the potential to make up the difference in losing a hitter like Toby. Just having Estrada pinch hit is wasting the potential he has as a hitter.
I agree they're definitely missing Hanson right now and he was playing great when he got hurt. Also agree they need to find a way to get Estrada in the lineup consistently especially while Hanson is out. I'm not as sold on Seattle as you are they lost 3 of 4 to Saint Mary's and have swept Bowling Green and took 3 of 4 from Oakland. Seattle is a solid team but bottom line is if you want to have a chance at an at large bid at the end of the year you need to keep winning series throughout the year or in this weekends case at least get a split.

Top Bottom