All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

Tough loss in game 2 for the Gophers. Dalton Sawyer gave the Gophers a solid start only giving up 2 runs in 7 innings of work. The 2 runs came in the 2nd as Illinois had a walk and 2 infield singles to load the bases with 1 out and then a bouncer up the middle got through to centerfield to score 2 runs so despite not hitting anything hard in the inning Illinois found a way to score 2. The Gophers had a chance to jump out to an early lead in the top of the 1st as Connor Schaefbauer and Matt Fiedler had back to back singles to set up 1st and 3rd with 1 out for Austin Athmann but he struck out, and really had kind of a tough day at the plate today, Toby Hanson would follow with a ground out to end the inning. Other than that chance the Gophers really just couldn't string too many hits together to create opportunities. Gophers will look to take game 3 and win another series and looking at the forecast if that game gets played I'd guess it would have to be on Sunday.

Gophers offense breaks out of a little bit of a mini slump in a big way. Every starter had at least 1 hit and 5 had multi hit games. Gophers used the long ball a little as well as Austin Athmann hit his 9th homerun of the year, Alex Boxwell hit his 1st of the season and finished a double short of the cycle, and Micah Coffey hit his 3rd of the season to go with a couple doubles. Gophers are back in action at Siebert Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon against Kansas.

For some reason I worried about our 5 games this week. I know all the games are at home, but I'm worried for a couple reasons.

1. Midweek pitching - Our mid-week pitching struggled last game. North Dakota State who has a terrible offense with no power, scored 7 runs on us last mid-week game. Lackney struggled today for the first time. I'm worried about how mid-week pitchers have struggled recently. Then you are spread thin when you have two mid-week games this week compared to one game. I hope our mid-week pitchers get two shut outs this week, but I'm worried about the mid-week pitchers performances of late.

2. Indiana scares me - I know we are playing Indiana at home but they are hot just like we are. Plus Indiana has become one of the powers in our league these last five years. They are more than capable of winning a series on the road. I hope we sweep Indiana but I'm really worried about this series.

Sorry for being negative, I hope we go 5-0, but I'm worried about this week.

For some reason I worried about our 5 games this week. I know all the games are at home, but I'm worried for a couple reasons.

1. Midweek pitching - Our mid-week pitching struggled last game. North Dakota State who has a terrible offense with no power, scored 7 runs on us last mid-week game. Lackney struggled today for the first time. I'm worried about how mid-week pitchers have struggled recently. Then you are spread thin when you have two mid-week games this week compared to one game. I hope our mid-week pitchers get two shut outs this week, but I'm worried about the mid-week pitchers performances of late.

2. Indiana scares me - I know we are playing Indiana at home but they are hot just like we are. Plus Indiana has become one of the powers in our league these last five years. They are more than capable of winning a series on the road. I hope we sweep Indiana but I'm really worried about this series.

Sorry for being negative, I hope we go 5-0, but I'm worried about this week.
The NDSU game was just a terrible game as a whole and the 3 errors definitely played a big part in their 7 runs. Lackney gave up some runs yesterday but really didn't pitch too bad. He walked 2 guys but the 2nd guy that walked he had a couple pitches that should have been strike 3 even the Illinois announcer commented on the one. The next hitter had a soft blooper to 2nd that Schaefbauer fielded on a hop and tried to tag the guy going to 2nd and missed and then threw to 1st but it was too late so Lackney really should have been out of that inning with 0 runs. Hanson then came in for Lackney and gave up a couple hits to allow the inherited runners to score. Pitching is almost always going to be a little down in midweek games so hopefully we see the offense continue to produce and put up a couple of 6+ run games.

Indiana is fresh off a sweep of Northwestern winning every game by a run. They are a solid team but not the same as they have been the last few years. I would love to see 5-0 but the biggest thing is just making sure to keep winning series.

B1G RPI Top 5/Tournament Seedings (through May 1)

B1G RPI Top 5
#24 GOPHERS (25-13, 11-3)
#27 Michigan (29-12, 9-5)
#47 Maryland (24-19, 9-6)
#52 Michigan State (30-11, 10-5)
#69 Nebraska (28-16, 9-6)

Movin' On In: --- Nebraska
Movin' On Out: --- Rutgers

This Weekend
Indiana (11-4) @ GOPHERS (11-3)
Nebraska (9-6) @ Michigan State (10-5)
Rutgers (6-9) @ Michigan (9-5)
Illinois (7-8) @ Maryland (9-6)
Iowa (7-8) @ Ohio State (8-7)
Purdue (2-16) @ Northwestern (2-16)
TCU @ Penn State (non-conference)

Current B1G Tournament Seedings
1. GOPHERS (11-3)
2. Indiana (11-4)
3. Michigan State (10-5)
4. Michigan (9-5)
5. Maryland (9-6)
6. Nebraska (9-6)
7. Penn State (10-8)
8. Ohio State (8-7)

B1G RPI Top 5
#24 GOPHERS (25-13, 11-3)
#27 Michigan (29-12, 9-5)
#47 Maryland (24-19, 9-6)
#52 Michigan State (30-11, 10-5)
#69 Nebraska (28-16, 9-6)

Movin' On In: --- Nebraska
Movin' On Out: --- Rutgers

This Weekend
Indiana (11-4) @ GOPHERS (11-3)
Nebraska (9-6) @ Michigan State (10-5)
Rutgers (6-9) @ Michigan (9-5)
Illinois (7-8) @ Maryland (9-6)
Iowa (7-8) @ Ohio State (8-7)
Purdue (2-16) @ Northwestern (2-16)
TCU @ Penn State (non-conference)

Current B1G Tournament Seedings
1. GOPHERS (11-3)
2. Indiana (11-4)
3. Michigan State (10-5)
4. Michigan (9-5)
5. Maryland (9-6)
6. Nebraska (9-6)
7. Penn State (10-8)
8. Ohio State (8-7)

Wish I was in town this weekend, biggest series played at Siebert in a long time. Win this series and I like the way things are looking.

Hate to be negative but a couple of more things about this week.

1. Kansas has a good offense. They are batting 290 as a team with 20 homers. Way better offense than the Dakota teams.

2. Indiana has two lefties in the starting rotation. We struggle a little more with left handed pitching than right handed because so many guys in our line-up are left handed hitters.

I'm so worried about this week I can hardly stand it. I'll hope for the best.

I'm worried what happened to Missouri state can happen to us. Remember way back when we played Missouri State in a series. It seemed like decades ago. After Missouri State won the first game of the series, they were 19-2 on the season and people were singing their praises. College Baseball writers were even saying that Missouri State could end up a national seed. I thought the Gophs were playing the 1927 Yankees the way people were praising Missouri state. The next day after the loss the Gophers swept the doubleheader. Missouri State has gone 9-12 since then and is in last place in their conference.

The Gophs were the first team to expose Missouri State for their bad pitching. I'm worried that we'll get exposed for something and our great run of 17-4 since that day will come to a crashing end. I call this worry the Missouri State syndrome.

I hope the boys come ready to play because this will be a tough week. This week will show what this team is made of.

I'm worried what happened to Missouri state can happen to us. Remember way back when we played Missouri State in a series. It seemed like decades ago. After Missouri State won the first game of the series, they were 19-2 on the season and people were singing their praises. College Baseball writers were even saying that Missouri State could end up a national seed. I thought the Gophs were playing the 1927 Yankees the way people were praising Missouri state. The next day after the loss the Gophers swept the doubleheader. Missouri State has gone 9-12 since then and is in last place in their conference.

The Gophs were the first team to expose Missouri State for their bad pitching. I'm worried that we'll get exposed for something and our great run of 17-4 since that day will come to a crashing end. I call this worry the Missouri State syndrome.

I hope the boys come ready to play because this will be a tough week. This week will show what this team is made of.

Kansas is well under .500, so a split would almost be a disappointment. We're at home and we're playing well. I'd be surprised if we swept Indiana, but the key is winning the series. I try and remember this isn't football where you have to win every game to win the national title. This is baseball and when you play a team 3 times in a weekend, losing one isn't the end of the world. Our RPI is high enough that we're well on pace for an at large bid. The real question is can we play well enough to host a regional. That's key to moving on to the super regionals...

Man. What is your deal?

Gophers keep rolling offensively. Every starter had at least 1 hit and 7 of the 9 had multiple hits. Gophers hit 4 homeruns tonight Matt Fiedler and Austin Athmann went back to back in the 1st and Micah Coffey and Dan Motl would add their own homers later on. On the mound Tim Shannon started and went the first 2 innings giving up 4 runs and striking out 1. Ty McDevitt came in next and went 4 innings giving up 3 runs, struck out 4 and got the win. Lucas Gilbreath pitched the last 3 innings and did not give up a run while also striking out 7.

For this game Coach Anderson made a Paradigm shift in his Mid-week pitching . Instead of pitching 5 or 6 pitchers who mainly pitch on the mid-week, he only used three pitchers. 1. Shannon - who is probably the fifth starter if you need one for the Big Ten tournament or Regions. 2. McDevitt - who's been the most consistent mid-week relief pitcher. 3. Gilbreath - who needs no introduction.

I think coach is starting to place more of an emphasis on finding a fourth starter and keeping his bullpen fresh than giving a bunch of guys opportunity to pitch. I think coach has begun to focus more on the present then the future in these mid-week games. I think that is a good thing considering we have a shot at a number one seed for Regions.

I'd be willing to bet that Lackney starts tomorrow and they give him four or five innings if he pitches well. After Lackney is done, you'll probably see a bunch of weekend relivers (Hanson, Glowicki, Jess) in there to keep them fresh.

I have to agree with Goldy that Lackney is probably the man for the fourth starter in the rotation.

Doing my best BleedGopher...

http://www.startribune.com/john-and...art-of-gophers-baseball-s-u-turn/378051301/#1

By his own admission, John Anderson hasn’t been keeping track of his march to 1,200 career victories. “I’ve never been a big numbers guy,’’ the Gophers baseball coach said. “I wouldn’t know where [the count] was if people didn’t remind me.’’

That count now is 1,2000, after Anderson’s Gophers beat Kansas 19-7 on Tuesday night at Siebert Field, giving their coach the milestone. Still, he preferred to concentrate on other numbers. Such as 28-13, the Gophers’ record as they began a five-game homestand. Or one, the place they occupy in the Big Ten standings with an 11-3 mark. Or 19, their ranking in this week’s polls.

Add them all up, and the Gophers are bouncing back beautifully after a clunker of a season in 2015. Anderson credited his players with doing all the work, as they committed to become a tighter, more selfless group. They, in turn, credited a coach who has devoted 35 years to teaching them that life is more than only a collection of numbers — even if they’re relishing the ones they’re putting up this spring.

“What he’s done here is really special,’’ said catcher Austin Athmann of Cold Spring, Minn., a .368 hitter who swatted his 10th home run of the season Tuesday. “He always has faith in you and your abilities.

“What we did last year, that’s not what we’re here for. We decided in a team meeting last fall that this season was going to be different, with a whole new mental approach. Everyone is on board, and that’s definitely showing in the results.’’

Gophers baseball coach John Anderson posed with his team for a photo after winning his 1,200th game.

Gophers baseball coach John Anderson posed with his team for a photo after winning his 1,200th game.
The Gophers went 21-30 last season and were ninth in the Big Ten, marking only the second time in Anderson’s tenure they had finished below .500. This year, they have thrived despite some obstacles. The team played its first 17 games on the road, and it has endured injuries to starting shortstop Terrin Vavra — who is hitting .390 as a freshman — and first baseman Toby Hanson.

Since March 26, the Gophers have gone 18-4. They have won all five Big Ten series they have played and field the most productive offense in the conference, averaging 11.6 hits and 6.6 runs per game. Matt Fiedler tops the Big Ten with a .396 batting average and leads the pitching staff with seven victories, while fellow starter Dalton Sawyer is second in the league with 76 strikeouts.

Committing to each other

Anderson said his players were disappointed for themselves and for the program last year, when the worst record since 2008 kept them out of the Big Ten tournament at Target Field. Based solely on talent and experience, he saw potential for improvement. But it would not happen, he said, until players were ready to commit to each other — a point Anderson drove home by changing their caps last fall.

“We took away the ‘M’ and gave them hats that said, ‘Me/we,’ to try to start talking about the culture we needed to create,’’ Anderson said. “A lot of the experience at the amateur level is about ‘me’; they’re told how good they are, and they’re only interested in their own experience. It’s not about team, or mentoring other people, or creating a family culture.

“They really took a look at themselves and what they needed to change to play at a higher level and win more games. They had to hold each other accountable and responsible for being a team and maintaining a certain standard. And there was a readiness to change the culture.’’

Getting the ‘M’ back

Anderson emphasized that while he provided the template, his players drove the transformation. They talked about it during the summer, when many polished their skills and discipline in the Northwoods League, and got to work as soon as they arrived on campus last fall. In January, they had made enough progress for Anderson to return their ‘M’ caps.

“We had to refocus as a team in almost every aspect of our program,’’ second baseman Connor Schaefbauer said. “Everything from how we executed on the field to weight training, attention to detail at practice, our attitudes coming to the park every day. Now, guys are making plays. Guys are getting things done. That’s something we haven’t had here in a couple of years.’’

In March, Anderson signed a contract extension that will carry him through the 2021 season. When he looks back on this one, he said, his 1,200th victory is not what he will remember.

“These guys love playing the game together, and to see the team they’ve created, that’s the rewarding part for me,’’ he said. “I’ve just had a wonderful year.’’

1200!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

D1Baseball's latest Field of 64 keeps Gophers as a #1 regional seed

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers finish the sweep of Kansas. Gopher used 5 pitchers in the game Tyler Hanson started and pitched the first 2+ innings giving up 5 runs but only 2 earned. Nick Lackney pitched the next 1.1 and gave up 2 earned runs on just 1 hit. Brian Glowicki pitched the next 2.2 followed by Jeff Fasching for a inning and 2 innings from Jordan Jess to close it out as none of those 3 gave up a run. Offensively the Gophers pounded out another 18 hits and even though they had 12 runs they left another 13 on base. Gophers used some power again today with homeruns from Austin Athmann, Connor Schaefbauer, and Matt Fiedler.

The two games against the Jayhawks were a pitchers nightmare for both sides. Glad to get the wins.

The two games against the Jayhawks were a pitchers nightmare for both sides. Glad to get the wins.

First of all, even though Kansas is one of the bottom teams in the Big 12, they are still a pretty good hitting team. Secondly, I think what Coach Anderson was mainly disappointed in was the starting pitching.

The fourth starter is a big question mark on our team. We just can't seem to find one. Gilbreath would be the obvious choice but we need him in the bullpen. Coach has one more mid-week game left on the season to try to get this fourth starter question figured out.

First of all, even though Kansas is one of the bottom teams in the Big 12, they are still a pretty good hitting team. Secondly, I think what Coach Anderson was mainly disappointed in was the starting pitching.

The fourth starter is a big question mark on our team. We just can't seem to find one. Gilbreath would be the obvious choice but we need him in the bullpen. Coach has one more mid-week game left on the season to try to get this fourth starter question figured out.

If/when the Gophers get to a Regional (and hopefully host a Regional!), Anderson needs to go with his BEST ARM that is available to start a 4th game. I don't care if it is Gilbreath, Jess, or Glowicki, three of our primary relievers. His best arm available needs to start and go as long as he can. It is about giving the team the best chance to advance to their 1st Super Regional. Normal roles be damned.

I was at the Baton Rouge Regional in 2009 and Anderson started Allen Bechstein (9.27 ERA) rather than Cullen Sexton or even Scott Matyas in the first (and only) game of the Regional Finals. Sexton, a setup guy in the bullpen virtually his whole career at the U., hadn't pitched all weekend and was a far better arm than Bechstein. Matyas was their incredible closer and had only pitched three innings all weekend. Also, Matyas hadn't pitched in the elimination game earlier in the day versus Baylor so he seemingly would have been available if needed late in the game against LSU.

I think Anderson went with Bechstein because he had started some midweek games during the season. Nothing against Bechstein and he actually got out of the 1st inning unscathed (Even though LSU hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen!), but that game was virtually over and the white flag was raised before it even started. Maybe he asked Sexton and Matyas and they weren't ready to go for all I know. If he didn't, it turned an extremely difficult situation (having to beat LSU twice in the Finals to advance) into an impossible one. It is the ONE time that I actually felt I had some validity questioning a move from a guy that has now won 1,201 games...

Have to go with your BEST ARM available. Period.

If/when the Gophers get to a Regional (and hopefully host a Regional!), Anderson needs to go with his BEST ARM that is available to start a 4th game. I don't care if it is Gilbreath, Jess, or Glowicki, three of our primary relievers. His best arm available needs to start and go as long as he can. It is about giving the team the best chance to advance to their 1st Super Regional. Normal roles be damned.

I was at the Baton Rouge Regional in 2009 and Anderson started Allen Bechstein (9.27 ERA) rather than Cullen Sexton or even Scott Matyas in the first (and only) game of the Regional Finals. Sexton, a setup guy in the bullpen virtually his whole career at the U., hadn't pitched all weekend and was a far better arm than Bechstein. Matyas was their incredible closer and had only pitched three innings all weekend. Also, Matyas hadn't pitched in the elimination game earlier in the day versus Baylor so he seemingly would have been available if needed late in the game against LSU.

I think Anderson went with Bechstein because he had started some midweek games during the season. Nothing against Bechstein and he actually got out of the 1st inning unscathed (Even though LSU hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen!), but that game was virtually over and the white flag was raised before it even started. Maybe he asked Sexton and Matyas and they weren't ready to go for all I know. If he didn't, it turned an extremely difficult situation (having to beat LSU twice in the Finals to advance) into an impossible one. It is the ONE time that I actually felt I had some validity questioning a move from a guy that has now won 1,201 games...

Have to go with your BEST ARM available. Period.

The Old Gopher team first - I do agree that Sexton MAYBE would have been better than Bechstien. Sexton started the year hot then struggled the last half the year. He was hardly pitching at all at the end of the season because of his struggles. That year I was thinking they should have started Rassmusen the last game of the season. By the end of the season when push came to shove against the elite teams, Rassmusen and Maytas were the only reliable relievers on the team. Against LSU I would have started with Rassmussen then hand it off to Maytas the second half of the game. I know Rassmussen struggled his last two years but his Sophmore year as a reliever, he was stellar.

The new Gopher team - As far as Gilbreath is concerned, everyone here including me has said he would be the best option. The problem is he is the first guy you call up in relief. If the Gophers don't use him the first three games or hardly use him then go ahead, but if Gilbreath is out of the picture the answer is not so easy.

Glowicki and Jess are not Maytas. Maytas was one of the best closers in college baseball. He could 1 or 2 innings or give you 3 or 4. Jess struggled as a starter, but he's been stellar in the closer roll. Those two guys (Jess and Glowicki) would really not be an option. Anderson tried Hansen and Shannon and they struggled as starters. Lackney could be a choice but he has struggled his last two outings. It's easy to say "Start the best arm available" but after Gilbreath the answer is not so easy. Period!

I've been hoping they give McDevitt a start on the mid-week. He's been the most consistent mid-week pitcher this year. Kansas coach gave McDevitt and Gilbreath high praise. Give McDevitt a shot at starting a mid-week game and see what he can do as a starter. So far the Coach and I do not see eye to eye.

My choice would be Gilbreath as the fourth starter and if he's not available then McDevitt.

The Old Gopher team first - I do agree that Sexton MAYBE would have been better than Bechstien. Sexton started the year hot then struggled the last half the year. He was hardly pitching at all at the end of the season because of his struggles. That year I was thinking they should have started Rassmusen the last game of the season. By the end of the season when push came to shove against the elite teams, Rassmusen and Maytas were the only reliable relievers on the team. Against LSU I would have started with Rassmussen then hand it off to Maytas the second half of the game. I know Rassmussen struggled his last two years but his Sophmore year as a reliever, he was stellar.

The new Gopher team - As far as Gilbreath is concerned, everyone here including me has said he would be the best option. The problem is he is the first guy you call up in relief. If the Gophers don't use him the first three games or hardly use him then go ahead, but if Gilbreath is out of the picture the answer is not so easy.

Glowicki and Jess are not Maytas. Maytas was one of the best closers in college baseball. He could 1 or 2 innings or give you 3 or 4. Jess struggled as a starter, but he's been stellar in the closer roll. Those two guys (Jess and Glowicki) would really not be an option. Anderson tried Hansen and Shannon and they struggled as starters. Lackney could be a choice but he has struggled his last two outings. It's easy to say "Start the best arm available" but after Gilbreath the answer is not so easy. Period!

I've been hoping they give McDevitt a start on the mid-week. He's been the most consistent mid-week pitcher this year. Kansas coach gave McDevitt and Gilbreath high praise. Give McDevitt a shot at starting a mid-week game and see what he can do as a starter. So far the Coach and I do not see eye to eye.

My choice would be Gilbreath as the fourth starter and if he's not available then McDevitt.

Good point on Rasmussen starting against LSU. He finished the debacle 9th inning (The Gophers gave up 7 runs after scoring 5 in the top of the inning to go up 15-5!) of the game versus Baylor earlier in the day. I think Anderson started the same guy (DJ Snelten?) that had finished the earlier game in the B1G tourney a few years ago. So, starting Rasmussen would have been the same type of situation. I wouldn't have minded that. It certainly would have been a better call than Bechstein. Besides Sexton and Matyas, even Tyler Oakes was a better option in my opinion. Too bad Lubinsky was fried from warming up in the bullpen for what seemed like 10 times over the weekend's entirety.

Jess and Glowicki absolutely have to be options to start if they are available and Anderson considers either one of them to be his best remaining arm. WHOEVER (Gilbreath (a consensus pick), Jess, Glowicki, McDevitt, Hanson, Lackney, etc.) #14 thinks is his best remaining available arm that gives him the best chance to get outs needs to start in a game 4 situation. The later innings are likely meaningless if you find yourself down 7-0 after 3 innings (like the Gophers did at LSU). Though the Gophers can hit the ball this year...

Hopefully, if the Gophers make a Regional, they'll only have to play three games on their way to winning it! Otherwise, it will truly be a wildcard on who gets the call for a game 4, or gulp...game 5. Very likely we will be seeing 'Kansas-esque' scores if the Gophers are to advance by winning a game 4 or game 5 scenario. It would be nice if they had a bona fide 4th starter but I actually do like their chances if they get into a shootout with another team.

I really hope they can keep it rolling and end up hosting as a #1 seed. Would be fantastic. A lot of work to still do though.

Good point on Rasmussen starting against LSU. He finished the debacle 9th inning (The Gophers gave up 7 runs after scoring 5 in the top of the inning to go up 15-5!) of the game versus Baylor earlier in the day. I think Anderson started the same guy (DJ Snelten?) that had finished the earlier game in the B1G tourney a few years ago. So, starting Rasmussen would have been the same type of situation. I wouldn't have minded that. It certainly would have been a better call than Bechstein. Besides Sexton and Matyas, even Tyler Oakes was a better option in my opinion. Too bad Lubinsky was fried from warming up in the bullpen for what seemed like 10 times over the weekend's entirety.

Jess and Glowicki absolutely have to be options to start if they are available and Anderson considers either one of them to be his best remaining arm. WHOEVER (Gilbreath (a consensus pick), Jess, Glowicki, McDevitt, Hanson, Lackney, etc.) #14 thinks is his best remaining available arm that gives him the best chance to get outs needs to start in a game 4 situation. The later innings are likely meaningless if you find yourself down 7-0 after 3 innings (like the Gophers did at LSU). Though the Gophers can hit the ball this year...

Hopefully, if the Gophers make a Regional, they'll only have to play three games on their way to winning it! Otherwise, it will truly be a wildcard on who gets the call for a game 4, or gulp...game 5. Very likely we will be seeing 'Kansas-esque' scores if the Gophers are to advance by winning a game 4 or game 5 scenario. It would be nice if they had a bona fide 4th starter but I actually do like their chances if they get into a shootout with another team.

I really hope they can keep it rolling and end up hosting as a #1 seed. Would be fantastic. A lot of work to still do though.

The old Gopher team first - Here's how the Baylor game played out in the LSU region. Snelten was in High School at the time. Tyler Oakes ERA was close to Bechenstien's for the year. Tyler struggled that year also and was not much better. Handran started the game. He was the Gophers third best starter that year. In the ninth inning Baylor started to hit him around. They brought in Lubinsky. You could tell against Baylor Lubinsky was really nervous and he was bouncing the ball in front of the plate. Baylor was still crunching the ball off Lubinsky also. So they brought in Rassmussen and he closed the deal. Lubinsky would have been the starter against LSU, but after seeing how nervous he was and how he struggled against Baylor they went with Bechstien. Lubinsky had won some impressive mid-week games that year against some pretty good teams (Missouri, Kansas State), but as a freshmen in regions, it is a whole different story. I think Rassmusen was really the only good option at the time. If the Gophs had beat LSU the next day they would have let Buske start on two days rest. Anderson usually does not like to have a starting pitcher go on two days rest, because the pitcher could hurt his arm and ruin his future. Buske was a really good pitcher but his arm was not strong enough for the pros (He did play in Australia). So Anderson probably would have let him pitch that last game.

The New Gophers team - I think your missing the point here. You name all these guys for a fourth starter option and I'm not sold on any of them. Jess and Glowicki are closers, there is a reason why they do not start games. Jess is way better as a closer than he was as a starter. Jess struggled as a starter. Hansen struggled as a starter but is doing great as a reliever. Lackney, I'm not sold on either. He's struggled in his last two outings and pitching in the Big Ten tournament or Regions is a whole different story for a freshmen. Lubinsky was really good as a freshmen like Lackney, but in Regions he struggled. The one person you did mention who I think might be a good option is McDevitt.

I like McDevitt for four reasons.
1. Senior
2. Most consistent Mid-week pitcher this year.
3. Struggles with control, but last three outings, he's been in control.
4. He has a strong arm.

You name all these players but I'm not sold on most of them. After Gilbreath I think McDevitt might be your best option. That's why I'm saying have McDevitt start against South Dakota state and let him go four or five innings and see how he does as a starting pitcher. They have tried everyone else, why not McDevitt. You having nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain.

B1G Weekend (May 6-9)

B1G Friday
Purdue (2-16) @ Northwestern (2-16), 3
Rutgers (6-9) @ Michigan (9-5), 5
Iowa (7-8) @ Ohio State (8-7), 5:35
Indiana (11-4) @ Minnesota (11-3), 6:30

B1G Saturday
Illinois (7-8) @ Maryland (9-6), 12
Nebraska (9-6) @ Michigan State (10-5), 12:05
TCU @ Penn State, 1 (non-conference)
Indiana @ Minnesota, 2
Purdue @ Northwestern, 2 (BTN)
Iowa @ Ohio State, 2:05
Illinois @ Maryland, 3:30
TCU @ Penn State, 4:30 (non-conference)
Rutgers @ Michigan, 5 (BTN)

B1G Sunday
Rutgers @ Michigan, 11
Illinois @ Maryland, 11
Indiana @ Minnesota, 12
TCU @ Penn State, 12 (non-conference)
Nebraska @ Michigan State, 12:05
Iowa @ Ohio State, 12:05
Purdue @ Northwestern, 1

B1G Monday
Nebraska @ Michigan State, 12:05 (BTN)

The old Gopher team first - Here's how the Baylor game played out in the LSU region. Snelten was in High School at the time. Tyler Oakes ERA was close to Bechenstien's for the year. Tyler struggled that year also and was not much better. Handran started the game. He was the Gophers third best starter that year. In the ninth inning Baylor started to hit him around. They brought in Lubinsky. You could tell against Baylor Lubinsky was really nervous and he was bouncing the ball in front of the plate. Baylor was still crunching the ball off Lubinsky also. So they brought in Rassmussen and he closed the deal. Lubinsky would have been the starter against LSU, but after seeing how nervous he was and how he struggled against Baylor they went with Bechstien. Lubinsky had won some impressive mid-week games that year against some pretty good teams (Missouri, Kansas State), but as a freshmen in regions, it is a whole different story. I think Rassmusen was really the only good option at the time. If the Gophs had beat LSU the next day they would have let Buske start on two days rest. Anderson usually does not like to have a starting pitcher go on two days rest, because the pitcher could hurt his arm and ruin his future. Buske was a really good pitcher but his arm was not strong enough for the pros (He did play in Australia). So Anderson probably would have let him pitch that last game.

The New Gophers team - I think your missing the point here. You name all these guys for a fourth starter option and I'm not sold on any of them. Jess and Glowicki are closers, there is a reason why they do not start games. Jess is way better as a closer than he was as a starter. Jess struggled as a starter. Hansen struggled as a starter but is doing great as a reliever. Lackney, I'm not sold on either. He's struggled in his last two outings and pitching in the Big Ten tournament or Regions is a whole different story for a freshmen. Lubinsky was really good as a freshmen like Lackney, but in Regions he struggled. The one person you did mention who I think might be a good option is McDevitt.

I like McDevitt for four reasons.
1. Senior
2. Most consistent Mid-week pitcher this year.
3. Struggles with control, but last three outings, he's been in control.
4. He has a strong arm.

You name all these players but I'm not sold on most of them. After Gilbreath I think McDevitt might be your best option. That's why I'm saying have McDevitt start against South Dakota state and let him go four or five innings and see how he does as a starting pitcher. They have tried everyone else, why not McDevitt. You having nothing to lose and maybe a lot to gain.

The Snelten example was given to show that starting the guy who finished a game earlier in the same day (a game that had ended within the past hour or so) has been done by Anderson since the 2009 Regional in Baton Rouge. I believe it was the 2011 or 2012 B1G tournament. It was effective. So, in hindsight, it probably would have been a decent call at LSU back in 2009.

You keep pushing the fact that some of these guys are closers and haven't been effective in the past as starters. So what. If you believe they are a better arm and that they have not been over used, it is a no brainer to me.

Answer this question. If Scott Matyas hadn't pitched all weekend and the only other option the Gophers had to start against LSU was Bechstein, would you go with Bechstein because Matyas had never started? In that scenario, if you start Bechstein you deserve to lose. Like I said, Coach Anderson virtually raised the white flag before the game even started by starting Bechstein.

Answer this question. If Buske got hit by a "come backer" ball (like he did off his knee in the 2007 Regional in San Diego) and only pitched an inning or two against Baylor in the #2/#3 game on Friday, would you not bring him in to close out the losers bracket game versus Baylor if he was cleared to pitch and IF Oakes (He had a save back in 2007!) or Scott Fern were the only other arms available? I don't think Buske ever closed in his career but he was a better arm than those two guys. Buske gets the call or once again, you deserve to lose.

The next day's starter and "normal roles" do not matter in a tournament setting. Tyler Jay started Game 2 of the Super Regional in Champaign last year after being their closer the entire year with the exception being the first weekend of the season where he started and pitched 5 or 6 innings. Why, because he was the best arm Illinois had and if they lost a 2nd time to Vandy they were out of the tournament. They were going to worry about how to close out Game 2 and Game 3 if/when they got to it.

If Anderson agrees with you and thinks McDevitt is the best arm available to start a potential Game 4, then I'm in full support. IF Anderson thinks he has better arms available but starts a guy just because he has started before, then he hasn't learned anything from 2009.

The Snelten example was given to show that starting the guy who finished a game earlier in the same day (a game that had ended within the past hour or so) has been done by Anderson since the 2009 Regional in Baton Rouge. I believe it was the 2011 or 2012 B1G tournament. It was effective. So, in hindsight, it probably would have been a decent call at LSU back in 2009.

You keep pushing the fact that some of these guys are closers and haven't been effective in the past as starters. So what. If you believe they are a better arm and that they have not been over used, it is a no brainer to me.

Answer this question. If Scott Matyas hadn't pitched all weekend and the only other option the Gophers had to start against LSU was Bechstein, would you go with Bechstein because Matyas had never started? In that scenario, if you start Bechstein you deserve to lose. Like I said, Coach Anderson virtually raised the white flag before the game even started by starting Bechstein.

Answer this question. If Buske got hit by a "come backer" ball (like he did off his knee in the 2007 Regional in San Diego) and only pitched an inning or two against Baylor in the #2/#3 game on Friday, would you not bring him in to close out the losers bracket game versus Baylor if he was cleared to pitch and IF Oakes (He had a save back in 2007!) or Scott Fern were the only other arms available? I don't think Buske ever closed in his career but he was a better arm than those two guys. Buske gets the call or once again, you deserve to lose.

The next day's starter and "normal roles" do not matter in a tournament setting. Tyler Jay started Game 2 of the Super Regional in Champaign last year after being their closer the entire year with the exception being the first weekend of the season where he started and pitched 5 or 6 innings. Why, because he was the best arm Illinois had and if they lost a 2nd time to Vandy they were out of the tournament. They were going to worry about how to close out Game 2 and Game 3 if/when they got to it.

If Anderson agrees with you and thinks McDevitt is the best arm available to start a potential Game 4, then I'm in full support. IF Anderson thinks he has better arms available but starts a guy just because he has started before, then he hasn't learned anything from 2009.

Maytas is the only Closer I could see being a starting pitcher because he was special. Against New Mexico in the Cal State-Fullerton Region, he went like 5 innings and was dominate. I like Jess and Glowicki but they are not in the same league.

I'm just saying I think McDevitt might be the best option for a number 4 guy in Big Ten tournament and Regions. Let McDevitt start against South Dakota State. If McDevitt does well in that game, then I'd let him pitch the fourth game in the Big Ten tournament, and not mess around with Gilbreath as a starter. We don't need to win the Big Ten tournament to get to Regions. If McDevitt has two really good starts in a row (mid-week game and Big Ten tournament) then for Regions you don't have to worry about saving Gilbreath for the fourth game. If for some reason Gilbreath was hardly used for Regions then yes I'd pitch him game four (you might not get to a game four in regions if you win the first three). Gilbreath would be the best arm available, BUT I think McDevitt might be the best option if Gilbreath had to pitch a lot in relief for Regions. That's all I'm saying.

Top Bottom