All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The season is coming up! It would be fun to have a thread just for the this season so its not buried in the longer "all things" thread.

Go Gophers!!

I think it could be a good season this year. I know the last five years have been frustrating, but this year I think they have the chance to turn things around.

I think it could be a nice turnaround this year with a lot of guys with a good amount of experience returning but there will be some question marks as well. Looking at the position players returning 7 players who started at least 21 games and another couple who saw a good amount of time return. The biggest question of the position players is who will take over at SS with Michael Handel graduating? Freshman Eddie Estrada did play it in high school but I'm not sure if he will be able to stay there or not, Micah Coffey did play some SS this summer, Luke Pettersen filled in when Handel missed some time last year, and Connor Schaefbauer has played some SS when Handel has missed time as well though he has primarily stayed at 2B.

My guess right now for an opening day lineup would be:
CF-Dan Motl-SR
2B-Connor Schaefbauer-SR
DH-Matt Fiedler-JR
1B-Toby Hanson-SO
C-Austin Athmann-JR
3B-Eddie Estrada-FR
LF-Jordan Smith-JR
SS-Micah Coffey-SO
RF-Alex Boxwell-SO

Matt Stemper will also see plenty of time and Troy Traxler could also see some time to provide another right handed bat as Coach Anderson often likes to play the matchups.

Pitching really kind of struggled last season but should be improved last year as a number of guys had strong summers in the Northwoods League. It will be interesting to see what they do as far as the weekend rotation as Ben Meyer was the Friday starter last year and graduated and the Sunday starter was a mix of guys for part of the year. The bullpen could actually be a strength as Jordan Jess and Brian Glowicki both had very strong summers and will probably be looked at to close down games. Ty McDevitt also returns as a veteran reliever and Matt Fiedler had some good outings out of the pen last year but he did also start some this summer so he could get a look at that too. Right now my guess for what the pitching might look like this year is:

SPs Friday: LHP-Dalton Sawyer-SR
Saturday: RHP-Tyler Hanson-JR or RHP-Tim Shannon-JR
Sunday: LHP-Lucas Gilbreath-SO
Midweek Starters: RHP-Toby Anderson-JR, RHP-Fred Manke-SO
Bullpen- LHP-Jordan Jess-SR, RHP-Brian Glowicki-JR, RHP-Ty McDevitt-SR, RHP-Matt Fiedler-JR, RHP-Jake Stevenson-FR, LHP-Nick Lackney-FR, RHP-Reggie Meyer-SO, RHP-Ben Humbert-FR, LHP-Jeff Fasching-SO, Cody Campbell is another possibility though I believe he has struggled with injuries.

Don't know all that much about all the freshmen but I would expect Estrada to make an impact with his bat and I think the pitchers could each got some time on the mound. Terrin Vavra could also see some time in the middle infield and Cole McDevitt could see time at catcher. Ben Mezzenga has a lot of speed could see time probably more as a pinch runner/defensive replacement. Jordan Kozicky and Riley Smith both have some flexibility and did some good things during fall ball.

Really looking forward to this season, plus this will be our first season as Gopher Baseball season ticket holders!

I watched Estrada play a few times this summer and his bat showed damn well despite being 18 and playing college guys. I don't think he has the athleticism to play SS but he certainly could play either corner infield spot. Easily a top-five freshman in the B1G.

Another Minnesota Daily article about the pitching. One thing mentioned that would surprise me a little is the 3 pitchers they mentioned for the weekend rotation were Fiedler, Sawyer, and Hanson I would be a little surprised if Gilbreath isn't also in that conversation after having a pretty good summer starting in the Northwoods League although he only started half the summer.
http://www.mndaily.com/sports/baseball/2016/02/09/gophers-looking-move-past-2015-pitching-woes

lets do it gopher baseballers!!

Was able to catch some of Coach Anderson on with Lavelle Neal who was filling in for Paul Allen today. He said their starters this weekend will be Sawyer, Fiedler, Hanson, and Anderson. Talked about how much stronger the B1G has become and feels Michigan and Maryland are at the top and then it is pretty jumbled up. Talked about Pettersen and Vavra as the 2 who will probably try to fill the SS role. Kinda made it seem like the SS position could depend on the rest of the lineup where if the offense is strong they can get away with putting a more solid defensive guy there that may struggle a the plate but if the offense isn't as strong may opt for a better hitting SS who may not be quite as strong in the field. Looking for bounce back year from Schaefbauer, and need Motl and Athmann to stay healthy.

I listened to the interview also. Coach Anderson seemed very pleased with what he has seen from the pitching staff so far in practice. He pointed out how a veteran staff (9 upperclassmen) should help bring about a turn around from last years pitching. Plus he's said in previous interviews having Coach Oakes back will only help.

I'm more concerned about hitting this year. It should be significantly better but I've been thinking that the last five years. If both pitching and hitting can take a big step forward this year a Big Ten title would not be out of the realm of possibilities. This year we may even have an outside shot at a number 1 seed for regions. Maybe I've been drinking too much lately.

Here's the Gophers game notes for the weekend. It notes that all 4 games this weekend will have radio coverage. Also lists the rotation this weekend as Fiedler, Sawyer, Anderson, and Ty.Hanson as well as a "probable lineup" of: C-Athmann, 1B-To.Hanson, 2B-Schaefbauer, 3B-Coffey, SS-Pettersen, LF-Smith, CF-Motl, RF-Boxwell or Stemper, DH-Fiedler or Estrada
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/minn/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2015-16/release/release_20160218aaa.pdf
I would think Fiedler will DH even though he is starting pitching because he is one of the teams best hitters. I like the lineup and think the offense will be improved I also think Estrada finds his way into the lineup consistently somewhere. The only position I do have some concern over is at SS as I'm just not sure how much offense Pettersen can produce. On the mound is where I have more concern. I think there is talent there that is capable of being pretty good but need to be much more consistent than last season.

I also have a concern with how much offense Pettersen can produce, but Coach Anderson has always been a believer of a strong defense in the middle of the field (Catcher, 2nd base, SS, and Centerfield). He must feel Pettersen's great defense outweighs his offense. I still think Pettersen has the potential to hit close to 300.

Fielder will be hitting whether he's pitching or not. His bat is the best on the team so far. I also agree that Estrada will eventually find his way into the lineup on a consistent basis. As far as pitching I think with most of them being upperclassmen and having Oakes back it will be more consistent.

It's funny Goldy is worried about pitching and not hitting, while I'm worried about hitting and not pitching. It just goes to show there will always be concerns before any baseball season starts. There is always something to be worried about.

In the end I still think this year could be a very good year for our team. I still think a 1 seed in regions may not be out of the realm of possibility. Watch we go 0-4 on the weekend, and everyone will wonder what I've been drinking.

I also have a concern with how much offense Pettersen can produce, but Coach Anderson has always been a believer of a strong defense in the middle of the field (Catcher, 2nd base, SS, and Centerfield). He must feel Pettersen's great defense outweighs his offense. I still think Pettersen has the potential to hit close to 300.

Fielder will be hitting whether he's pitching or not. His bat is the best on the team so far. I also agree that Estrada will eventually find his way into the lineup on a consistent basis. As far as pitching I think with most of them being upperclassmen and having Oakes back it will be more consistent.

It's funny Goldy is worried about pitching and not hitting, while I'm worried about hitting and not pitching. It just goes to show there will always be concerns before any baseball season starts. There is always something to be worried about.

In the end I still think this year could be a very good year for our team. I still think a 1 seed in regions may not be out of the realm of possibility. Watch we go 0-4 on the weekend, and everyone will wonder what I've been drinking.

Easy on the kool-aid. Making the conference tournament would be a step in the right direction.

Out of the Ashes comes New Life - Sometimes when a program reaches the lowest of lows, and everyone is counting them off, all of the sudden they reach the highest of highs.

This program has reached the lowest of lows. Coach Anderson hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament these last five years. We have fallen off the NCAA baseball map, heck we've fallen off the Big Ten map. We didn't even get in the top 8 in the Big Ten last year to qualify for the Big Ten Tournament. Last year this program reached the lowest of lows.

Call it, a gut instinct, intuition, being a homer, drunk on wine, glass being half full kind of guy, or just plain stupid. This year I think this team will ascend to greater heights than it's ever been under Coach Anderson. I think we'll get to the College World Series this year. That's a first for Coach Anderson. I don't have any stats to back it up, no solid reasoning whatsoever, just what's coming out of my gut.

It would be better to make this prediction in the future with the new batting cages, and having use of the Vikings field for home games and winter practices.

My gut is telling me now and not later. I'm not even so sure in the near or distant future this program will accomplish what it will this year.

Out of the Ashes comes New Life - That's just what my gut is telling me. Anyone have some pepto?

Nice season opening victory! Took a little while to get the offense going but it did and Fiedler, Manke, and Glowicki were all solid on the mound as was the defense behind them. Toby Hanson hit the 1st homerun of the year for the Gophers in the 5th inning. Gophers face Utah Valley tomorrow at 11a.m.

I think it was a good win. I'd like our offense to do better against Utah State. I just think we are capable of scoring more runs. Good start to the season.

Not quite as clean of performance as last night but another win. Few freshman made their debuts late in the game today. Terrin Vavra pinch hit and had a single and scored a run he also played 2nd base in the 9th. Eddie Estrada had a pinch hit RBI groundout and Ben Mezzenga played left field in the 9th.

My guess is for tomorrow against Utah, Anderson will play a lot of new position players and then probably play his better performers this weekend against Oregon State.

Nice win today! Two tough games tomorrow. Although OSU lost to Utah Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers went with a little different lineup today starting 4 freshmen Ben Mezzenga-CF, Terrin Vavra-2B, Eddie Estrada-DH, and Riley Smith-SS and resting a few regulars. All had hits aside from Estrada who got absolutely robbed of one. Smith had a great debut with 4 hits and a freshman pitcher Nick Lackney also made his debut in this one going an inning and a third and catcher Cole McDevitt caught the 9th for his debut. Utah scored all 3 of their runs in the 9th when the outcome was already decided. The Gophers did leave 10 runners on base and while they only gave up 3 hits the pitchers struggled with control and walking players. Gophers will look for the sweep of this weekend coming up in around 45 minutes against Oregon State. Also was mentioned on the broadcast that Lucas Gilbreath was 1 of the 3 who didn't make the trip and I'd guess that would mean he is dealing with an injury hope it isn't too serious as he is definitely a key piece to this pitching staff.

Nice game for my Gophers. Now about my Beavers.

They have a very talented, yet young roster. The lone senior should be today's starter, Travis Eckert.
Pat Casey has built a national powerhouse in the rainy pacific northwest. CWS in 1952, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2014. Back to back national championships in 2006 and 2007 with virtually different teams.
The high preseason rankings are based on last years second place finish in the PAC 12 in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year after losing a ton of talent to the MLB draft. Casey's teams have been built on great starting pitching and great defense. Ironically, the huge question mark this year is the starting pitching after our Friday guy. Goph's catch a break in that the closer, Mitch Hickey, who was a first team freshman all american last year, and the presumed Sat. starter, Christian Martinek, will miss the series with injuries. Martinek would have been a very high MLB choice out of HS, but had to have Tommy John surgery and redshirted last year. 6'5" lefty with electric stuff.

The Beav's home, Goss Stadium, also has a railroad track running past the outfield, only much closer. Must be a rodent thing.

Tough 8-7 loss to the Beavers. However, 3-1 start to the season! Got some hits and scored some runs! I'm optimistic for the season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom