All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

What would it take for the Gophers to not only get in but even host a regional?

Pitchers duel for most of the game. Gophers explode for 7 runs in the 7th and add 3 more in the 8th. Freshman Cole McDevitt led the bats with 3 hits including his 2nd homerun of the year. 6 Gopher pitchers combine to get the shutout limiting NDSU to just 4 hits.

What would it take for the Gophers to not only get in but even host a regional?
Gophers are 20-11 not counting the 2 D3 wins right now and have 19 games left in the regular season I'd guess somewhere around 35-15 heading into the B1G tournament would have us in consideration for a host spot. Winning both the B1G regular season and conference tournament would also be very helpful. Having teams that we have played and especially ones we have beat continue to win will help keep numbers strong. We have some games left against teams 7 games left against teams currently 200+ in the RPI really can't afford losses to them Northwestern(260), SDSU(201), and Purdue(266).

Gophers a host school in DIBaseball.com's latest NCAA projections

"In terms of the regional hosts, Clemson, South Alabama and North Carolina dropped out of the mix this week (but were still in the discussion), while LSU, NC State, and Minnesota climbed into the hosting mix."

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/road-omaha-field-64-april-20/

4 B1G teams currently projected into the Field of 64, also Maryland, Michigan, and Michigan State. Maryland tabbed as one of "last 5 in".

I figured the Gophs would start being talked about in hosting a region. A big part in getting a 1 seed in regions is avoid bad losses. Iowa fans talk about how bad losses last year hurt them in getting a one seed in regions. Iowa had something like 5 mid-week losses on the year. It was against teams where Iowa was the clear favorite.

Before yesterdays mid-week game, we have five games in 8 days. Three games against Northwestern and two games against North Dakota State. These are teams in which we are the clear cut favorite. Even though four of those games are on the road, we need to win 4 out of 5 to stay in the 1 seed regional hunt. Some may argue we need to go 5 for 5. With four games on the road, I say four wins. These games against Northwestern and North Dakota will show how good we are in taking care of business. Winning games, we should win. Just as the games against Maryland and Michigan are important, so are the games against Northwestern and North Dakota State.

Gophers Theme This Weekend? Avoid The Bad Loss(es)

Gophers continue their pursuit of a regular-season B1G championship today. Gophers at the point of their schedule where they need to avoid bad losses. Any losses to Northwestern this weekend would be bad; the Wildcats have a RPI of #249, second worst in the B1G behind only Purdue (#253). But with a strong RPI of #21 that gives them some margin for error, the main thing is make sure you win the series.

Friday's B1G Slate
Purdue (1-11) @ Maryland (5-4), 12
Penn State (8-4) @ Rutgers (3-6), 1
Indiana (6-3) @ Michigan State (7-2), 2:05
GOPHERS (6-2) @ Northwestern (2-10), 3
Ohio State (4-5) @ Illinois (4-5), 6
Michigan (6-2) @ Iowa (6-6), 6:05
Nicholls State @ Nebraska, 6:35 (non-conference)

Weekend Predictions
Maryland sweeps the Boilers
Rutgers wins 2 of 3 from Penn State
Indiana wins 2 of 3 from Sparty
GOPHERS win 2 of 3 from Northwestern
Illinois wins 2 of 3 from the Buckeyes
Michigan wins 2 of 3 from Iowa

Projected Top 8 after the Weekend
1 GOPHERS (8-3)
2 Michigan (8-3)
3 Indiana (8-4)
4 Michigan State (8-4)
5 Maryland (8-4)
6 Penn State (9-6)
7 Nebraska (7-5)
8 Illinois (6-6)
Still in the Hunt
9 Iowa (7-8)
10 Ohio State (5-7)
11 Rutgers (5-7)

Purdue with the upset

Boilers surprise Maryland 7-1 in College Park. Boilers improve to 2-11 in BIG, Terps fall to 5-5.

Boilers have now delivered bad losses to both the Terps and Michigan State.

Rutgers gets a shutout

Scarlet Knights improve to 4-6 in the B1G with a 5-0 shutout of Penn State (8-5).

Sparty loses 3-2 to Indiana

Spartans appear headed toward another late-season fade.

No details but Gophers hang on in 9th to win 6-5. Two walks in the bottom of the 9th made it interesting. I know SS is satisfied with two of three this weekend, but I want the sweep along with the Hawkeyes taking two of three from Michigan. A quick glance at the schedule appears to favor the Wolverines the rest of the way.

Gophers hang on for a 6-5 win in game 1. Northwestern scored first in the 2nd getting a run on a sac fly after a triple. Gophers tied it in the 3rd with a Matt Fiedler single followed by him advancing to 2nd on a passed ball and then a Austin Athmann single to score him. A Connor Schaefbauer solo homerun gave the Gophers a 2-1 lead after 5. The Gophers added 4 runs in the 6th for a 6-1 lead. The inning started with a Athmann double followed by a Toby Hanson 2 run homerun. Matt Stemper would double followed by a Micah Coffey triple and a Eddie Estrada pinch hit sac fly to finish the scoring for the Gophers. Matt Fiedler started and got the win on the mound he pitched pretty well going 6.2 innings with 6 strikeouts and 4 walks giving up 2 hits and 4 earned runs 3 of those 4 runs were scored in the 7th after Fiedler exited. Northwestern's 7th inning rally was helped along by the Gophers as Fiedler walked 3 in that inning. Lucas Gilbreath came in to finish the 7th and gave up a couple singles before getting a strikeout to end the inning. Northwestern had a leadoff single in the 8th and a 2 out walk but Gilbreath escaped with no damage getting 2 strikeouts and a popup. Northwestern got a couple baserunners in the 9th too as Jordan Jess came on and got the 1st man the 9 hitter to pop out before walking the 2nd guy. The 3rd hitter would strike out but then another runner reached via walk to push the tying run to 2nd. Jess was able to get the Wildcats cleanup hitter to popup to the shortstop to close out the win.

No details but Gophers hang on in 9th to win 6-5. Two walks in the bottom of the 9th made it interesting. I know SS is satisfied with two of three this weekend, but I want the sweep along with the Hawkeyes taking two of three from Michigan. A quick glance at the schedule appears to favor the Wolverines the rest of the way.
I agree especially now that we held on to win game 1 I'd be disappointed if we don't get the sweep. Northwestern's Friday pitcher is pretty solid but their Saturday guy is 0-4 with a 5.86 era and they haven't announced who will pitch Sunday yet. I'd hope that the Gophers offense can jump on these starters early and often. Dalton Sawyer and Toby Anderson have both pitched pretty solidly so hopefully they can just continue that and if they do I like the chances for the sweep.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers jumped out to an early lead with a 4 run 1st and never looked back. Gophers pounded out 17 hits and Dalton Sawyer set a career high with 12 strikeouts in the win.

Toby Anderson throws a complete game shutout limiting Northwestern to just 5 hits, a walk, and a hit batter while striking out 4. Austin Athmann led the offense with two 2 run homeruns while Dan Motl, Micah Coffey, and Alex Boxwell all also had multi hit games.

Toby Anderson throws a complete game shutout limiting Northwestern to just 5 hits, a walk, and a hit batter while striking out 4. Austin Athmann led the offense with two 2 run homeruns while Dan Motl, Micah Coffey, and Alex Boxwell all also had multi hit games.

The Gophers did what they needed to do this weekend and they did it in convincing fashion. Very solid performance.

B1G RPI Top 5 (through April 24)/Current B1G Tournament Seedings

B1G RPI Top 5
#23 GOPHERS (23-11, 9-2)
#24 Michigan (28-10, 8-3)
#57 Maryland (21-18, 7-5)
#69 Rutgers (20-20, 5-7)
#72 Michigan State (27-10, 8-4)

Movin' On In: ---
Movin' On Out: ---

This Weekend
GOPHERS (9-2) @ Illinois (6-6)
Michigan State (8-4) vs. Michigan (8-3) -- Games 1 & 3 in Ann Arbor, Game 2 in East Lansing
Northwestern (2-13) @ Indiana (8-4)
Maryland (7-5) @ Penn State (9-6)
Nebraska (7-5) @ Rutgers (5-7)
Ohio State (5-7) @ Purdue (2-13)
Kansas State @ Iowa

Current B1G Tournament Seedings
1. GOPHERS (9-2)
2. Michigan (8-3)
3. Indiana (8-4)
4. Michigan State (8-4)
5. Penn State (9-6)
6. Maryland (7-5)
7. Nebraska (7-5)
8. Illinois (6-6)

For anyone with Midco Sports Network looks like they will televise the game at NDSU tomorrow night.

Gophers lose at NDSU 7-4. Bad loss not only because NDSU is 181 in the RPI but because the Gophers just didn't play well at all tonight. Pitchers lacked command most of the night, defensively the Gophers were charged with 3 errors with another that was ruled a hit but was actually an error and some big mental mistakes as well, and offensively just didn't seemed real locked in tonight making a lot of weak contact which is pretty unusual for this team. Couple days to refocus and get back on track at Illinois this weekend.

One concern I have is a fourth starter. It really helps to develop a fourth starter for the Big Ten tournament time or Regions. Toby was the choice before he got switched to the weekend rotation (which was a great decision). Gilbreath would be an obvious choice but I really think you need him in relief. He's probably been the most consistent reliever so far. You could say Lackney, and he has done well. I just don't know how comfortable I'm with having a freshmen pitching in a championship game in Regions, unless he was a Glen Perkins type pitcher.

I only guy I can think of is giving McDevitt a shot. I know he walks a lot of guys but his era is below 3. Right now the number four guy is a question mark.

One concern I have is a fourth starter. It really helps to develop a fourth starter for the Big Ten tournament time or Regions. Toby was the choice before he got switched to the weekend rotation (which was a great decision). Gilbreath would be an obvious choice but I really think you need him in relief. He's probably been the most consistent reliever so far. You could say Lackney, and he has done well. I just don't know how comfortable I'm with having a freshmen pitching in a championship game in Regions, unless he was a Glen Perkins type pitcher.

I only guy I can think of is giving McDevitt a shot. I know he walks a lot of guys but his era is below 3. Right now the number four guy is a question mark.
I agree the 4th starter would definitely be a toss up. They really have focused on just getting guys work during the midweek games rather than trying to nail down a 4th starter which I can understand as well. I like Lackney and would probably go with him. I think we would most likely see someone like Lackney or McDevitt start and just hope for 4-5 solid innings from that guy and then turn it over to the bullpen or the other option would be Tyler Hanson if he hasn't already been used out of the bullpen in the previous games. It will be interesting with 2 midweek games next week to see if they try to let a starter go a little longer in one of the games and see if they can find a #4 guy. Shannon has started before but I don't know if he is the guy I'd go with. Manke also got a couple starts last season but I don't think he has pitched in a few weeks and at all in a B1G game this season.

In the past usually when there is two mid-week games Coach Anderson has let his starters go 5 innings if they are pitching well. I'm not sure what he is going to do. I can see coaches point about getting guys work, but I like to see him start to focus on a solid fourth starter. The problem is there is no one I'm really comfortable with. Gilbreath and Hansen are the best relievers for eating up a lot of innings to get to the closer, and I think it's dangerous going into a region hoping they won't have to be used so you can save them as a starting pitcher.

This coming mid-week I'd have Lackney and Mcdevitt start then the one who does the best go with them the last mid-week game. In the last mid-week game I'd have that starter go 5 innings to get him ready for the Big Ten tournament and Regions. Then again what do I know, Coach Anderson is a lot better coach than I am. It's not even close.

d1baseball.com Field of 64 projection still has #30 RPI Gophers as regional host

#2 seed Oregon State, #3 BYU, and #4 Bryant the others projected to Minneapolis Regional.

Also in from the Big Ten are #25 Michigan, #57 Maryland, and #75 Michigan State, the latter two both among the "last 8 in" using RPI. Sparty has the worst RPI among the 33 at-larges projected into the field.

Gophers-Illinois will play doubleheader on Friday

Game 2 of the doubleheader will be televised by BTN following the Michigan State-Michigan game.

Updated B1G Weekend Schedule (April 29-May 1)

Weather has forced changes to several B1G series this weekend. The schedule now looks like this.

B1G Friday
Nebraska (7-5) @ Rutgers (5-7), 2
Ohio State (5-7) @ Purdue (2-13), 2
Northwestern (2-13) @ Indiana (8-4), 2:05
GOPHERS (9-2) @ Illinois (6-6), 4
Michigan State (8-4) @ Michigan (8-3), 5 (BTN)
Northwestern @ Indiana, 5:20
Maryland (7-5) @ Penn State (9-6), 5:30
Ohio State @ Purdue, 5:30
Kansas State @ Iowa, 6:05
GOPHERS @ Illinois, 8 (BTN)

B1G Saturday
Nebraska @ Rutgers, 12
Michigan @ Michigan State, 12:05
Ohio State @ Purdue, 1
Maryland @ Penn State, 2 (BTN)
Kansas State @ Iowa, 2:05
Maryland @ Penn State, 5:30
GOPHERS @ Illinois, TBD (may be scheduled for Sunday depending on forecast)

B1G Sunday
Nebraska @ Rutgers, 11
Michigan State @ Michigan, 12
Kansas State @ Iowa, 1:05
Northwestern @ Indiana, 2 (BTN)

Good start from Matt Fiedler going 7 innings giving up 1 run on 6 hits while striking out 2 without a walk. Lucas Gilbreath pitched the last 2 innings without giving up a run on 3 hits and struck out 2 while also not walking a batter. Key inning was the 6th when Micah Coffey and Alex Boxwell both singled with 2 outs and advanced to 2nd and 3rd on a wild pitch Jordan Smith then followed with his own hard hit single to score both runners and give the Gophers the lead for good.

Top Bottom