All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

Thank you for making the trip out to College Station. You out hit us, but the walks were just too costly. Safe travels for the team back to Minneapolis.

Frustrating to see 6 of the 8 runs scored by players who reached base by walking plus 1 HBP.

Best of luck. Time for some payback for TCU.

Just too many self inflicted wounds from the pitching/defense and just did not take advantage of opportunities and get enough timely hitting. Fiedler had the same problem he has the last couple times out with control problems and I'd bet a big part of that might've been still dealing with the blister. Hanson was very solid in relief and gave the Gophers a chance. I think the announcers said 6 of A&M's runs were scored by players who reached via the walk and those free passes are just so costly. Thought two of the big moments in the game were the 2nd inning when the Gophers had Athmann and Smith on with 1 out and A&M got out of the inning with the double play. Then the 3rd inning when the Gophers got back to back singles to start the inning from Boxwell and Stemper but Fiedler hit a pop fly to 1st and didn't get the runners over then Vavra followed with a fielders choice and Coffey grounds out to 1st. If Fiedler is able to move the runners Vavra's grounder scores the run and we are right back to a 2-1 game instead we get nothing and A&M gets 2 in the 4th to open up the lead to 4-0. Another situation in the 6th where the Gophers got 1 but it looked like they would have more as Smith drilled a line drive with runners at 1st and 3rd but the 2nd baseman made a nice leaping catch. Was hoping we would have a chance in the 9th but that really ended with the leadoff walk and then the blown out call by the ump at 2nd on the sac bunt which ended up setting up a big 3 run inning for A&M.

Great Season, draft will determine how this team sets up for next year.

Gophs represented well

All & all, a successful season and strong NCAA showing by the Gophers. A regular-season championship + a regional runner-up finish is nothing to sneeze at. It was a down year for the B1G, but the Gophers did their part. I expect next season the B1G will be stronger and more like 2015 when it got 5 NCAA bids. I'd expect a 4- or 5-bid conference in 2017.

What College is the North Dakota pitcher going to?
Muckenhirn? Don't believe he has announced yet maybe he is waiting to see where he is drafted as it sounds like it could be high enough where he may want to sign and just turn pro.

With 10 rounds in the books Athmann is still on the board while Sawyer and Fiedler were both picked in round 9. The draft will finish tomorrow with rounds 11-40.

Athmann goes in the 14th round to the Tigers. Reading the article in this tweet sure sounds like he will sign and I would guess Fiedler probably will as well.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With 10 rounds in the books Athmann is still on the board while Sawyer and Fiedler were both picked in round 9. The draft will finish tomorrow with rounds 11-40.

His grandpa told me they are projecting him as a catcher! Great arm and brain.

Have any of the underclassmen signed?

I know 3 of 4 of Michigan State's drafted underclassmen already have signed, the other said he's staying for senior season. Always curious to hear which B1G underclassmen come back after being drafted.

Have any of the underclassmen signed?

I know 3 of 4 of Michigan State's drafted underclassmen already have signed, the other said he's staying for senior season. Always curious to hear which B1G underclassmen come back after being drafted.
I haven't seen anything on either Athmann or Fiedler officially signing yet but I would guess both will end up signing. I did see Sawyer signed already and I'm not sure whether Jess has yet or not but usually it is pretty quick for teams to get deals done with SRs.

According to Sid's article all 4 Gophers have signed.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-fans-are-lucky-that-the-team-still-is-here/383205701/

• Four Gophers have signed professional baseball contracts. Senior lefthanded pitcher Dalton Sawyer, a ninth-round draft choice of Oakland, received a $50,000 bonus. Senior lefthander Jordan Jess, a 31st-round choice by Pittsburgh, signed for an unknown amount. Junior catcher Austin Athmann, a 14th-round choice by Detroit, received a $100,000 bonus, as did junior outfielder Matt Fiedler, a ninth-round pick by St. Louis.
• The Seattle Mariners selected Eli Wilson out of Seattle Garfield High School in the 37th round. He’s the son of Dan Wilson, the former Gophers catcher and current Mariners catching coordinator. Eli Wilson, also a catcher, hit .394 with six doubles, three triples, 17 RBI and 14 stolen bases as a senior. He’s committed to play for the Gophers.

Top Bottom