Gophers Lose To MSU, 3-2; Are Swept Out of NSCC

Reaction score
The losing trend to in-state rivals continued on Sunday as the Gophers dropped another close game, this time a 3-2 loss at the hands of Minnesota State.

In-State Struggles

Sunday’s loss was the fourth straight loss in the NSCC, and gave Minnesota a record of 1-12 in their last 13 meetings with the other four D1 teams in the state.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it, it’s embarrassing,” said Justin Kloos. “I couldn’t feel more disappointed after this weekend. I’m frustrated. It’s not like we take these games easier or lighter than other games. We have these [games] marked on our calendar and I assume they do too. For some reason we’ve just come up short for the last almost year and a half. There’s no excuse. I guess we’re just going through a time where we’re struggling to get wins against these big-time rivals.”

As the usual top team in Minnesota, the Gophers get their opponent’s best when they meet.

“We’ve always had a target on our back,” said Hudson Fasching. “As to why it’s recently, I couldn’t tell you. It’s not fun. It’s getting to a point where it’s extremely frustrating. It’s not an excuse, but we’re getting everyone else’s best game. That’s really the only thing I can say. If I knew, I’d guess we’d be winning.”

The Gophers will have to wait until next year, or possibly the postseason, to meet one of their in-state rivals again.

“We [want]revenge against all these because they’ve been kicking our butt lately,” said Kloos. “There wasn’t anything to hold back today, we just came up short, so it stings a lot right now.”

Lack of Scoring

Goalie Eric Schierhorn only gave up three goals each game, but the Gopher offense couldn’t muster more than two tallies in either contest.

“You look at the way our year has gone, it’s a pretty common theme when we don’t get over two [goals] we haven’t won,” said Don Lucia. “Three [goals] has been the big thing for us. I don’t think we’ve won a game we haven’t scored three goals.”

After this weekend’s struggles, is there anything positive Minneasota can take away going forward?

“It’s hard to take a positive away,” said Kloos. “Let’s see, Connor Reilly is playing well, our goalie is still good. Yeah, that’s all I got.”

Three Stars

3 – Justin Kloos had another goal and assist performance on Sunday.

2 – MSU’s CJ Franklin also had a goal and a helper.

1 – Teddy Blueger scored twice and also had an assist.

By The Numbers

11 Shots in the final two periods for Minnesota after putting up 12 in the opening frame.

0 Wins in the NSCC since the Gophers won the inaugural cup in 2014.

1 Own-goal for Minnesota as MSU’s first tally deflected off Jack Glover’s stick in front.

What’s Next

The Gophers welcome Penn State to town next weekend. Friday’s contest is at 7 p.m. while puck drop on Saturday is 4 p.m. for Hockey Day Minnesota.

Well kloos is publicly saying the things he should. Let's see if he can light a fire under some asses because this team is embarrassing right now and that has to do with the effort, not with the 0-2 result

But that's okay because we are one of the best teams in the B1G Hockey Conference. Love that prestige of the B1G Conference. detp.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom