Race imbalance persists in college football head coaching

The most current data I found the numbers were 57% blacks at the D1 level, I could find no data since 2010 that says anything differently; blacks are the majority. But cool lets go with your data; the percentages don't match up anywhere close.

I believe the 57% is for FBS only. The number I posted includes FCS. I think it is important to include lower levels as well because there are many FBS coaches who played in FCS, DII or DIII.

There may be more whites but not in the hiring pool (entry level).

You could be right at the FBS level. But I would disagree at the other levels. No numbers to back it up, just my guess based on my experiences. But I could be wrong.

In fairness changes already made today could eventually lead to a reasonable percentage of black head coaches.

That's what I'm hoping.

But is it all on the U? In the last 3 coaching searches, do you know how many minority coaches the U tried to hire for HC, OC or DC but were turned down or told they weren't interested in the U? And it is funny that you leave out basketball. Probably only because 2 or the last 4 hires were minority coaches. 1 or which was adored by the entire state, but caused his own dismissal. And the 2nd who was adored by the whole state until he went stale and acted like he had no motivation to actually be a coach.

Is it all on the U? Did someone prevent the U from hiring one black coach since the U started fielding football teams?

I didn't mention basketball because the thread was about football coaches; and you are correct in modern history the U has represented itself fairly in hiring black basketball coaches IMO.

Again; this is a non issue for me because control of the situation lies squarely in the hands of those who have the problem. The U and every other FBS football program should continue hiring whomever they want.

For the record; I would have hired Claeys as well. He was part of a successful staff were the coach had to unexpectedly retire. I would have wanted to see if the success could carry on. I also would expect and except the heat I would get in the current coaching climate in regard to lack of black coaches getting opportunities for making such a hire.

I believe the 57% is for FBS only. The number I posted includes FCS. I think it is important to include lower levels as well because there are many FBS coaches who played in FCS, DII or DIII.

You could be right at the FBS level. But I would disagree at the other levels. No numbers to back it up, just my guess based on my experiences. But I could be wrong.

That's what I'm hoping.

Being that I don't know everything (ask my wife) I could be wrong as well.:)

I can tell you what isn't ok hiring practices (football). 0 head coaches in 100 years, 1 coordinator in 100 years, 1 black AD in 100 years. The U has now moved to hiring coaches who never played college football before hiring a black coach; and I'm sure each and everyone was the best man for the job.

Should black players commit to the U? Does the U hire black people as head coaches (football) and are the players ok with that....it's for them (players) to answer?

AD's motivations? They hire the person they deem best for the job; it's not like the U's AD's have ever made a football hiring mistake? We should continue to trust their impeccable judgment that always lead to the white coach being hired.....see what I did there?

Dubbed a racist for firing a black coach? I believe never hiring a black coach is far worse and suspect than firing one.:cool:
If not hiring black coaches was such a problem, why was it Ok for your son to attend?

If not hiring black coaches was such a problem, why was it Ok for your son to attend?

He wanted to attend Minnesota coming out of college; I hated Minnesota and wanted him to play for a Latina (Barry Alvarez), he listened to dear ole Dad and committed. Barry resigned and he listened to dear ole Dad again and honored his commitment.

After two years of being miserable (playing time was not an issue) he told dear ole Dad to kick rocks and open his wallet (no scholarships transferring from one conference school to another) because he was coming home to play for the school that HE wanted to play for.

I wizened up, shut the hell up and opened my wallet up.

In fairness I do get a kick smiling at him every Sunday when some scrub NFL safety blows a tackle and I ask him how are both his legs doing and if he has spoken to any U medical staff lately......my family has a sick sense of humor.

My point. It is the players choice....or at least it should be.

Further proof you shouldn't pick a school based on the race of the coach. There are many more important things to consider when finding the right fit for each individual.

I can tell you what isn't ok hiring practices (football). 0 head coaches in 100 years, 1 coordinator in 100 years, 1 black AD in 100 years. The U has now moved to hiring coaches who never played college football before hiring a black coach; and I'm sure each and everyone was the best man for the job.

Should black players commit to the U? Does the U hire black people as head coaches (football) and are the players ok with that....it's for them (players) to answer?

AD's motivations? They hire the person they deem best for the job; it's not like the U's AD's have ever made a football hiring mistake? We should continue to trust their impeccable judgment that always lead to the white coach being hired.....see what I did there?

Dubbed a racist for firing a black coach? I believe never hiring a black coach is far worse and suspect than firing one.:cool:

I can think of two in the last approximately 10 years - Everett Withers and Dave Lockwood.

I can think of two in the last approximately 10 years - Everett Withers and Dave Lockwood.

Hold on....the U is on a streak now!

I never met Everett but David Lockwood gave a certain someone their first offer.

Whenever we make hires, we are required to have a diverse interview panel and a diverse interview pool. If either one doesn't occur, you must re-post the position or have a very good reason that gets reviewed by some division board. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but maybe it's something the NCAA should look into if the numbers posted here are that disproportionate.

Let's not forget, Maturi could probably have hired Charlie Strong instead of Tim Brewster.

Not sure if serious, but I think the jury is still out on Strong's job at Texas....

Relevant to this discussion - does anyone remember if Strong was offered the job and turned it down? I know he was definitely in the mix but don't remember how it all played out. Maybe the details never really were clear in the first place.

Relevant to this discussion - does anyone remember if Strong was offered the job and turned it down? I know he was definitely in the mix but don't remember how it all played out. Maybe the details never really were clear in the first place.

Rumor was that Strong was in Dinkytown, serious about the position, when Maturi decided to offer the job to Brew. The way it has been told to me is that Strong was under the impression he'd be getting an offer and was surprised (and angry) when he didn't. Not the same thing as being offered the job, and no certainty he'd accept it, but he was at a minimum very interested.

I only know of Kiffin and Brewster. Everything else I recall sounded more like rumor.

He beat Oklahoma this year (only 1 of 2 teams who can say that.)

Texas should be Oklahoma. I'm still not sure he's getting them turned around very far in Texas, yeah they were a mess but their recruiting classes didn't drop off that much and they still have high % of bad games with a lot of talent.

He might get it turned around, I'm just not convinced he's going to do it.

He beat Oklahoma this year (only 1 of 2 teams who can say that.)

Only 1 of 2 FBS teams to say they lost to Iowa St. this year too. Not only did they lose, but they got shut out. Yuck.

I think he will get it turned around in the end though.

per Charles Hallman:

The following numbers aren’t winning lottery numbers: 14, 2, 7, 1. They represent, in order, the college football head coaching openings, the number of Blacks hired to fill them, the number of NFL head coaching vacancies and the number of Blacks hired to fill them.

http://spokesman-recorder.com/2016/01/27/race-imbalance-persists-college-football-head-coaching/

Go Gophers!!

Given the racial makeup of our country, (see below) shouldn’t the real question be why aren’t there more Latino and Asian coaches in the NFL? In Hallman’s numbers above, 14.3% of the openings went to black applicants, a higher percentage than the overall makeup of blacks in the U.S. Let’s just make everything straight quota-driven by percentages regardless of capability and then no one will have anything to complain about. Yes, including athletes to be fair.

Attachments

• Census.jpg
    Census.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 12

Wait, you're suggesting black players are NOT preferentially chosen due to their skin color instead of ability and fit for a position?

Given the racial makeup of our country, (see below) shouldn’t the real question be why aren’t there more Latino and Asian coaches in the NFL? In Hallman’s numbers above, 14.3% of the openings went to black applicants, a higher percentage than the overall makeup of blacks in the U.S. Let’s just make everything straight quota-driven by percentages regardless of capability and then no one will have anything to complain about. Yes, including athletes to be fair.

You may want to narrow it down to the hiring pool; which is former college football players.

Based on that, last season the percentage of Asian coaches might not have been that far off with Norm Chow still coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom