Shama: Ex-Gopher AD Backs Frazier for U Job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

McKinley Boston will send a “letter of nomination” soon to University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler regarding the school’s vacant athletic director position. Boston, the former Gophers AD in the early 1990s, is promoting Sean Frazier for the opening at Minnesota that is being filled on an interim basis by Beth Goetz.

Frazier, who won’t speak publicly about athletic director openings at other schools, has impressed Boston over the years and the two men are friends. In an email to Sports Headliners Boston described Frazier as an individual who “should be a strong candidate” for the Gophers’ position. During a telephone conversation Boston said he expects to send his “letter of nomination” within the next several days.

Frazier, who came to Northern Illinois in 2013, has experience working with national groups including a past assignment as chair of the NCAA hockey committee. He also knows Jim Delany and might well have the Big Ten commissioner’s endorsement for athletic director vacancies at Illinois and Minnesota.

While Frazier isn’t talking about those two Big Ten positions, it’s believed Illinois has already contacted him, and the process to fill that job may be moving faster than at Minnesota where Kaler has indicated a spring hire is likely.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Frazier has a son named Maximo. That is a little concerning. :)

If Goetz wants any chance she needs to dismiss Lucia if they don't reach final four. If she does, I'll know she's a serious candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dismiss Lucia if they don't reach the final four? Haha not going to happen

Frazier sounds interesting, but it's a little tiring to push for candidates based solely on race, gender, etc. If Beth is the best candidate, hire her. If Frazier is the best, hire him. It gets difficult to tell when people push solely on demos.

So it is a story about a guy who will ... eventually (I guess he couldn't be bothered until later) send a letter to get his buddy a job?

lucia's contract will most likely not be renewed after next year.

So it is a story about a guy who will ... eventually (I guess he couldn't be bothered until later) send a letter to get his buddy a job?

At least this is a legitimate, qualified candidate...not pushing nonsense like hiring Kill or Najarian for the job.

Finally! I have been wondering for months who McKinley Boston thinks we should hire.

Frazier sounds interesting, but it's a little tiring to push for candidates based solely on race, gender, etc. If Beth is the best candidate, hire her. If Frazier is the best, hire him. It gets difficult to tell when people push solely on demos.

This is a take that people usually have when they don't like affirmative action or minority hiring practices.

There is no "best candidate" for this position, to think so is sort of simplistic. There are going to be numerous people who are "best candidates" because they all have different strengths that they bring to the table. Being a woman is a strength, being a minority is a strength, being the interim AD is a strength, having ties to MN is a strength, being a sitting AD at a smaller D1 school is a strength... how about "outstanding fundraiser", "great with revenue programs", "secretly behaves super inappropriately with women but had a lot of success at a school out east", etc. I guess my point is that your take is silly and nobody is pushing solely on demos even though you are perceiving it that way.

At least this is a legitimate, qualified candidate...not pushing nonsense like hiring Kill or Najarian for the job.

I mean I guess so, but it's really hard to figure out what the guy has done from that article.

He was the AD at Northern Illinois. He worked at Wisconsin.

The article is weird, it's like some newspaper article from the early 1900 about folks visiting each other for dinner and a pleasant time was had by all....

This is a take that people usually have when they don't like affirmative action or minority hiring practices.

There is no "best candidate" for this position, to think so is sort of simplistic. There are going to be numerous people who are "best candidates" because they all have different strengths that they bring to the table. Being a woman is a strength, being a minority is a strength, being the interim AD is a strength, having ties to MN is a strength, being a sitting AD at a smaller D1 school is a strength... how about "outstanding fundraiser", "great with revenue programs", "secretly behaves super inappropriately with women but had a lot of success at a school out east", etc. I guess my point is that your take is silly and nobody is pushing solely on demos even though you are perceiving it that way.

How is being a minority or woman a strength to do this job? There is no "objective" best candidate, all I'm saying is that whoever is involved in the hiring process should cast their vote for whoever they think will do the best job.

Nobody is pushing demos, but you list being a minority in the strength category. Can't make it up!

Not to bust your chops too bad, but I find this statement a little humorous because you have been so staunch in saying Brewster was/is qualified to be a head coach because he was hired as a head coach.

Wisconsin hired their former head football coach to be AD, so I would say Kill is similarly qualified.

Michigan hired a former business executive in Dave Brandon to be AD, so I would say Najarian is similarly qualified.

That being said, I agree 100% that neither Jerry Kill nor Pete Najarian are realistically qualified for the job. Just had to give you a little shot... :)

Not to bust your chops too bad, but I find this statement a little humorous because you have been so staunch in saying Brewster was/is qualified to be a head coach because he was hired as a head coach.

Wisconsin hired their former head football coach to be AD, so I would say Kill is similarly qualified.

Michigan hired a former business executive in Dave Brandon to be AD, so I would say Najarian is similarly qualified.

That being said, I agree 100% that neither Jerry Kill nor Pete Najarian are realistically qualified for the job. Just had to give you a little shot... :)

Great points. You shouldn't apologize for calling dpo out for his nonsense hypocrisy.

I wasn't going to respond and derail the thread, but since Section2 had to be himself, I'll now reply.

To clarify, I said that Brewster was qualified at the time of his hiring because he had over 2 decades of experience coaching in major college football and the NFL. I further said that he is qualified now because he was already a head coach. By definition, someone who has already held the job meets the qualifications to hold that job again.

Dave Brandon was an executive and CEO for over a decade at a publicly-traded company with close to a quarter-million employees and producing close to $2 billion in revenue each year. He had also been on the Board of Regents for 8 years. Najarian's resume doesn't even come close to comparing.

Also, to be fair, I believe one could easily make the argument that Kill is qualified to be an AD. In reference to him, I'm dismissing him as a legitimate candidate because he isn't physically fit to take the job, unfortunately. I think he would and could be great if the circumstances were different.

If Goetz wants any chance she needs to dismiss Lucia if they don't reach final four. If she does, I'll know she's a serious candidate.

Seriously? Minnesota hockey over the last four seasons:
- 105 wins, most in the entire country
- 4 straight regular season conference championships (first time in school history)
- 1 conference playoff title
- 4 straight NCAA Tournament appearances
- 2 Frozen Four appearances
- 1 National Championship game appearance
- multiple Hobey Baker finalists

One average season where the team is on the bubble to make the NCAA's and you want Lucia gone? Sorry, but you and everyone else who wants the Don gone are morons. That's putting it nicely.

- 4 straight regular season conference championships (first time in school history)

One average season where the team is on the bubble to make the NCAA's and you want Lucia gone? Sorry, but you and everyone else who wants the Don gone are morons. That's putting it nicely.
Agreed.. they are having a "down" season, but still leading the Big Ten (even though weaker this year) and had a great last four seasons. Look at the previous powerhouses (Michigan, UND, etc.) and they haven't won a championship any time recently.

Better call Massachusetts the state of hockey then. How about the SIX years prior to that? 2 frozen fours in 10 years, no national titles. That's a decade my friend. Boston College 3 National titles in last 8 years. Have some pride fella.

If candidates like Sean Frazier are interested in the job, there should be a public search for the AD position.

I mainly recall Frazier from Northern Illinois women’s basketball coach, Kathi Bennett’s surprise resignation in 2015. (Yes she is one of the Wisconsin coaching Bennetts). She’d had been hired by Jerry Kill’s guy, Jeff Compher. Her resignation was never explained by Frazier. Bennett received a 20 month buyout ($230,000) and promised to shut up. Frazier was at Wisconsin during the time Bennett was there as an assistant coach although, I don’t believe, Frazier’s responsibility included women’s basketball.

He’s been a candidate or at least a rumored candidate for a number of jobs. Here are some June, 2015 comments from Syracuse.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...candidate_says_he_has_no_interest_in_syr.html

The Northern Illinois AD is one of the hottest young ADs in the country, and his name was recently linked to the opening at Pittsburgh, which used the same search firm Syracuse has hired to assist with its own search.

But Frazier will not be the next athletic director at Syracuse.

He said this week he has not been contacted by Syracuse or its search firm about the AD position.

He also said he has no interest in the job, citing his commitment to Northern Illinois and relatively recent arrival in DeKalb, Ill.

Landing Frazier would've been viewed as a home run hire in the eyes of many Syracuse supporters, and he understands why.

He's a football guy. He played at Alabama, coached at Maine and later spent six seasons at Wisconsin under Barry Alvarez, providing the financial resources to aid the Badgers' three-year Big Ten title run.

He's also a Long Island native with ties to Upstate New York and the Northeast, having led athletic departments at Merrimack College in North Andover, Mass., Clarkson University in Potsdam, N.Y. and Division III Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y.

He checks off a lot of boxes, but he won't be coming to Syracuse

So that's the positive article. On "the what did he know and when did he know it" side of the ledger we know that Frazier was the number two guy at Wisconsin during the infamous 2012 Rose Bowl party although, like Alvarez, he was not in attendance.

Better call Massachusetts the state of hockey then. How about the SIX years prior to that? 2 frozen fours in 10 years, no national titles. That's a decade my friend. Boston College 3 National titles in last 8 years. Have some pride fella.

Judge coaches from 2004-10 not 2011-present. Seems reasonable.

I'm not sure asst AD at Wisc is a plus. Lots of badgers are upset about their AD department.

Beth Goetz has done nothing so far to tell me she would or would not be a superior AD. Frankly if her background was basketball she would be a lot better candidate than with a soccer background. Not knowing either revenue sport is a big problem for a first time AD.
I think she has done her current job well and been fine in terms of keeping things going administratively and managed her way through the investigation well. Nice person to talk to, but not a natural outgoing people person either from what I have seen. Basically we know she can do her current job well. Not sure we can say much more than that.
Hopefully Kaler knows a lot more.

You guys should really stick to football. The Gophers are 1-13 against MN teams in the last 2 years, which alone is a fireable offense. They made the NCAA tournament because of a crap B1G division (which helped with their overall win total). Lucia's lost his team / locker room two years in a row and Mariucci is a morgue. Time to go...

5-10 outside of the BigTen and 1-7 vs the state of Minnesota. Terrible. Its our god given birthright to win the Big Ten in hockey, losing it should be a fireable offense given the bad play out side of conference play. We're Pride on mother ****in ice we should never be the 5th best team in the state

Beth Goetz has done nothing so far to tell me she would or would not be a superior AD. Frankly if her background was basketball she would be a lot better candidate than with a soccer background. Not knowing either revenue sport is a big problem for a first time AD.
I think she has done her current job well and been fine in terms of keeping things going administratively and managed her way through the investigation well. Nice person to talk to, but not a natural outgoing people person either from what I have seen. Basically we know she can do her current job well. Not sure we can say much more than that.
Hopefully Kaler knows a lot more.
I think you have to know a lot about all of the sports to be COO. Being a COO is harder than being the charge, they're the one's that keep the ship going

I think you have to know a lot about all of the sports to be COO. Being a COO is harder than being the charge, they're the one's that keep the ship going

+1,000,000

I couldn't have put it better. Give her a shot at CEO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...thletic-director-spt-0207-20160206-story.html

Sean Frazier reportedly among finalists for Illini AD.

The finalists list for an Illinois athletic director is narrowing.

Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson and a search committee of campus leaders met Monday and Tuesday with candidates in Indianapolis to conduct interviews.

Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley, Maryland deputy athletic director Kelly Mehrtens and Central Michigan athletic director Dave Heeke are no longer in the running, according to sources. That leaves a list of candidates that includes Florida Atlantic athletic director Patrick Chun, Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier, Eastern Illinois athletic director Tom Michael and Division III Washington athletic director Josh Whitman, according to sources

Top Bottom