When will the Gophers get their first 2016 Big Ten win?

When will the Gophers get their first 2016 Big Ten win?

• at Northwestern

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • vs Michigan

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • at Iowa

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • vs Maryland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • vs Rutgers

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • at Illinois

• vs wisconsin

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • at Rutgers

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Big Ten Tournament

• We will go 0-19 in Big Ten games in 2016

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters

Rutgers at the Barn.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

home game vs Rutgers. I'd say at northwestern with their current form, but it's a road game.

As for the season, I'm betting we sweep Rutgers and win @ Illinois

December

In theory, their 1st 2016 Big 10 win could happen in December. They could run the table this season and then win the Season opener for the 2016-2017 campaign.

The optimist in me thinks we are going to win the last four games in conference and the first game in the tournament.
That would be an encouraging way to end a dismal season.

The optimist in me thinks we are going to win the last four games in conference and the first game in the tournament. That would be an encouraging way to end a dismal season.

I think they win Thursday and then their last 4 of the year to finish 5-13 and have a positive trajectory for next year (wouldn't be bad considering we were 6-12 last year)

I am just naturally optimistic though so the chance it all goes down in flames is also there.

I think they win Thursday and then their last 4 of the year to finish 5-13 and have a positive trajectory for next year (wouldn't be bad considering we were 6-12 last year)

I am just naturally optimistic though so the chance it all goes down in flames is also there.

:rolleyes: Anybody that picked them to beat NU tonight in this poll should have their head examined....Any sane person knew that Rutgers at home is the only shot.

It won't be against Iowa.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think after tonight the question now has become, will they get their first B1G win? For the first time I think it's possible we're as bad as Rutgers.

I think after tonight the question now has become, will they get their first B1G win? For the first time I think it's possible we're as bad as Rutgers.

No way the team that played tonight wins either of the two games against Rutgers.

Dream match-up

The possibility of an 0-14 Gophers facing an 0-14 Rutgers is now very real. Clash of the Titans.

Rutgers has a home game vs Penn State that might spoil it as well as a road game with Illinois.

There are 80 teams between Minnesota and Rutgers in the KenPom rankings. Minnesota is bad, Rutgers is historically bad. Minnesota, for instance, has no 50 point home losses.

You do have to give major props to the schedule makers for putting both of these exciting tilts at the end of the season.

There are 80 teams between Minnesota and Rutgers in the KenPom rankings. Minnesota is bad, Rutgers is historically bad. Minnesota, for instance, has no 50 point home losses.

You do have to give major props to the schedule makers for putting both of these exciting tilts at the end of the season.

Being 80 spots ahead of Rutgers doesn't preclude the Gophers from being historically bad. Certainly there's an argument that Gophers are making a run at "historically bad" relative to their basketball history? I give you the 1986-87 Gophers (9-19, 2-16 Big Ten) and the 2006-07 Gophers (9-22, 3-14 Big Ten including BTT) as examples.

Agree about how the schedule worked out. It actually will be interesting (for the wrong reasons) if the Gophers and Rutgers are both "unblemished" when they play so late in the season.

Being 80 spots ahead of Rutgers doesn't preclude the Gophers from being historically bad. Certainly there's an argument that Gophers are making a run at "historically bad" relative to their basketball history? I give you the 1986-87 Gophers (9-19, 2-16 Big Ten) and the 2006-07 Gophers (9-22, 3-14 Big Ten including BTT) as examples.

Agree about how the schedule worked out. It actually will be interesting (for the wrong reasons) if the Gophers and Rutgers are both "unblemished" when they play so late in the season.

I meant "historically bad" in the context of the Big Ten. In KenPom's records (starting 2002 season) there have only been 5 200+ Big Ten teams:
'03 PSU (212)
'04 PSU (218)
'05 PSU (215)
'09 IU (209)
'15 RU (215)

Rutgers currently sits at 277. In terms of all D1 schools that makes them roughly 17% worse than the worst Big Ten team this century. The '07 Gophers were only 170. The Gophers 196 would be in the bottom 8, but that's a huge improvement from 17% worse than the worst team.

As an aside, the little table above makes a minor case for "The Rutgers hoops program will likely get better by being part of the Big Ten like the PSU program did."

I meant "historically bad" in the context of the Big Ten. In KenPom's records (starting 2002 season) there have only been 5 200+ Big Ten teams:
'03 PSU (212)
'04 PSU (218)
'05 PSU (215)
'09 IU (209)
'15 RU (215)

Rutgers currently sits at 277. In terms of all D1 schools that makes them roughly 17% worse than the worst Big Ten team this century. The '07 Gophers were only 170. The Gophers 196 would be in the bottom 8, but that's a huge improvement from 17% worse than the worst team.

As an aside, the little table above makes a minor case for "The Rutgers hoops program will likely get better by being part of the Big Ten like the PSU program did."

OK understood, thanks.

I'm just thankful the B1G let allowed Rutgers to join the league...or we would probably go winless. We lost to Northwestern by a combined 49 points this year in two games...and honestly...the games weren't even that close. We might be the 4th best team in South Dakota this year....we lost at home to South Dakota and South Dakota State...and my guess is that Augustana...who is in the Northern Sun would probably give us a good battle. Now I think we are better than Augustana....but they did beat Iowa in an exhibition game earlier this year.

At least SDSU is a good team. South Dakota, on the other hand, is 2-8 in the Summit League.

At least SDSU is a good team. South Dakota, on the other hand, is 2-8 in the Summit League.

The South Dakota game really stands out and was probably the bellwether of this team, at this point I could really care less what happens the rest of the way, have to wonder how this happened though. I have to think we might be back to mediocrity in two years and will be happy about it.

Their "How the hell did they win that game?" win might have been the Clemson game.

i predicted at northwestern, boy was i wrong.

It's gonna be Rutgers, and if we lose at home to Rutgers Pitino should be fired on the spot.

Top Bottom