Gophers Drop NSCC Opener To Bemidji State, 4-2

Reaction score
After getting swept out of the North Star College Cup last season, the Gophers continued the trend, losing to Bemidji State, 4-2, on Saturday.

Not Happy

Gophers’ captain Justin Kloos didn’t mince words after the loss to the Beavers. Despite tallying a goal and an assist, Kloos wasn’t pleased with his team’s effort.

“Honestly, we played pretty poor all night, and nothing changed when we got the lead,” said Kloos. “We didn’t earn it at all tonight. We got what we deserved."

As the captain, Kloos placed the blame on his own shoulders, as well as his fellow upperclass leaders.

“First of all, us leaders need to play better,” said Kloos. “I couldn’t say one upperclassmen played well. It really pissed me off personally.”

It wasn’t only subpar play by the Gophers, Bemidji pressed hard all night against their in-state rival.

“Give [BSU] credit, they compete hard,” said Connor Reilly. “Their team has a great work ethic…They chase pucks down hard. I think we had a couple defensive breakdowns that we haven’t had happen the past few weeks.”

Late Letdown

The Gophers took the lead about eight minutes into the third but couldn’t hang on. It was reminiscent of earlier in the season when Minnesota struggled to maintain the lead.

“I thought we learned most of our lessons in November, but reality is, we have to start closing out games,” said Reilly.

The Maroon and Gold thought they’d shaken the trend of losing late, but it came back to haunt them on Saturday after a strong weekend just seven days ago.

“I think we learned a lot of lessons early (in the season) but sometimes you get a few ‘attaboys’ when you have a good weekend,” said Don Lucia.

Short Turnaround

Despite the loss, the Gophers have a big opportunity tomorrow as they square off with the Minnesota State Mavericks.

“[We need to] just come compete hard, play hard, and play for each other,” said Reilly. “That’s all that matters.”

Three Stars

3 – Justin Kloos posted a goal and an assist in the loss.

2 – Cory Ward tallied a goal and a helper for the Beavers.

1 – Markus Gerbrandt had quite a game with two goals and an assist.

By The Numbers

6 Shots for the Gophers in the second period as the Beavers tied the score heading into the final frame.

50 Percent on the powerplay for BSU as the Beavers scored once with the extra man to take the lead.

3 Straight losses for the Gophers in the NSCC.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to salvage the weekend as they take on the No. 19 Minnesota State Mavericks at 1 p.m. A second straight year in the loser’s bracket isn’t what Minnesota had in mind, and they’ll need a good effort to top the Mavs.

Did they take a ten hour bus ride from Mariucci and then march in the Grande Day Parade? They had no jump.

Good for Kloos for speaking the truth.

Good write up.

If the gophers drop the game tomorrow, only 2 options left to make the tourney.
1. Win out on b10 regular season and win 1st round game in BTT
2. Win the BTT
That loss really hurts as it was one of the last chances to make a statement and tomorrow really is

...aaaaand another 4th place finish in the NSCC tourney.

It was a slow footed, slow pass weekend. Glover kicked off the day by scoring into his own net and the Gophers ended the day by allowing a Maverick to skate untouched across the rink, down the slot and bury the puck.

Top Bottom