Gophers to play hoops DH in new Vikes Stadium? (per Sid)

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
This is interesting - from Sid's Column. (fundraising note near the end)

Interim athletic director Beth Goetz reported that the Gophers will be involved in a doubleheader college basketball program at U.S. Bank Stadium, which is nearly 90 percent complete, either next year or the following season.

“We would hope to get Iowa or Wisconsin to join us in a doubleheader at the Vikings stadium,” Goetz said.

The Gophers would play a nonconference foe and so would either Iowa or Wisconsin. The hope is that either one of the two would be big drawing cards to the Vikings’ new stadium.

Meanwhile, Goetz reported that about $80 million has been raised to build the various facilities that are expected to break ground on campus around Feb. 1.

That would turn a home game into a nuetral site game since iowa and wisky fans would no doubt pack the place. Not a huge fan of this.

I'm happy about playing a game there, but I hope they reconsider having Iowa or Wisconsin in the other game.

Get Marquette or Iowa State or **** even Fusker nation why give Iowa or Wisconsin a potential recruiting advantage. If it has to be between the two I'd rather it be Iowa

Conference Suggestions:
Maryland
Penn State

Non-Conference Suggestions:
Iowa State
Kansas
Note Dame

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Goetz seems to be following in the footsteps of Maturi. Why try to help Iowa or Wisconsin with something like this? At least go with a regional non-conference team like others have suggested, Marquette, Iowa State, or even teams like Kansas and Gonzaga. I don't see Wisconsin or Iowa trying to get us involved in premiere events like this.

That would turn a home game into a nuetral site game since iowa and wisky fans would no doubt pack the place. Not a huge fan of this.

Exactly. Is there any wonder why we suck relative to our rivals. If Beth G thinks it is a good idea to bring in them here, she is too stupid to be our AD.

I'd hope Pitino would talk some sense into our athletic department about including our rivals. Guarantee you he would not want rivals being involved with this.

I'm happy about playing a game there, but I hope they reconsider having Iowa or Wisconsin in the other game.

Why?

They want bodies in the seats to see how the stadium does for basketball. Why not take one of the 2 largest non-U fanbases in the Twin Cities for the other game of the DH.

Exactly. Is there any wonder why we suck relative to our rivals. If Beth G thinks it is a good idea to bring in them here, she is too stupid to be our AD.

No kidding. You'd never see Indiana, Purdue, Butler or Notre Dame do something this stupid. It would destroy their programs.

Source: Northwestern, Illinois nearing deal for United Center doubleheader

Teddy Greenstein
Chicago Tribune
December 17, 2015

The school that markets itself as “Chicago’s Big Ten team” is nearing an agreement to play in the United Center next season.

Sources told the Tribune that Northwestern would play Dayton and Illinois would take on BYU in a doubleheader in December -- if the parties can finalize a deal.

Illinois plays annually in the United Center, but Northwestern hasn’t played a regular-season game on the West Side venue since facing the Illini in 2003.

Way to go Maturi

Iowa, ISU, UNI and Drake to stage doubleheader
Apr. 12, 2012 4:05 PM EDT

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa and Drake will play a basketball doubleheader in Des Moines in each of the next four seasons.

The Hawkeyes will face UNI and the Cyclones will play against Drake at Wells Fargo Arena on Dec. 15, 2012. Iowa State and UNI will then play each other in 2013, with Iowa facing Drake.

This year's matchups will be repeated in 2014.

It's an epidemic!

No kidding. You'd never see Indiana, Purdue, Butler or Notre Dame do something this stupid. It would destroy their programs.

Way to go Maturi

It's an epidemic!

:clap:

You always crack me up.

Go Gophers!!

Source: Northwestern, Illinois nearing deal for United Center doubleheader

Teddy Greenstein
Chicago Tribune
December 17, 2015

The school that markets itself as “Chicago’s Big Ten team” is nearing an agreement to play in the United Center next season.

Sources told the Tribune that Northwestern would play Dayton and Illinois would take on BYU in a doubleheader in December -- if the parties can finalize a deal.

Illinois plays annually in the United Center, but Northwestern hasn’t played a regular-season game on the West Side venue since facing the Illini in 2003.

Way to go Maturi

Doubleheaders with instate schools is fine. They all are covered by the same media, the instate recruits know all of the programs, all the games are on tv, anyone can easily drive to both schools to see the teams play, and all the coaches of the universities have local ties. You don't harm your program by playing a doubleheader with an instate rival.

Promoting a doubleheader with outstate rivals in completely stupid. You give your competition free media access, free marketing, and a free showcase to your local talent pool. You should not be helping your outstate rivals cultivate your own guys. Dumb.

+1 On another note why not reach out to Kentucky they seem willing to play anywhere. Catnation travels they'll buy tickets for their game.

Doubleheaders with instate schools is fine. They all are covered by the same media, the instate recruits know all of the programs, all the games are on tv, anyone can easily drive to both schools to see the teams play, and all the coaches of the universities have local ties. You don't harm your program by playing a doubleheader with an instate rival.

Promoting a doubleheader with outstate rivals in completely stupid. You give your competition free media access, free marketing, and a free showcase to your local talent pool. You should not be helping your outstate rivals cultivate your own guys. Dumb.

I actually would agree with this (in spite of Maximus' well placed humor). Of course the easy response is "just win" which is fine and true, but if the same goals can be achieved by having Marquette or Iowa State as the co-lead of the event (even though we battle for recruits with them) as opposed to our conference rivals, I'd lean that way for sure.

Go Gophers!!

Summed it up perfectly

Instate recruits have never seen Wisconsin or Iowa play?

Illinois had a monopoly on playing in the United Center. Why (potentially) participate in a doubleheader with their in-state rival that brands themselves Chicago's Big Ten Team. A single Northwestern game in the United Center would likely draw nothing. The Illini would be the draw...thus giving their instate rival some pretty good exposure.

Iowa and Iowa State have no reason to elevate UNI's program since occasionally, UNI is the best team in the state. Why give them the bigger stage?

Hasn't Iowa State been more involved than Iowa in Minnesota recruiting recently? Why invite them?

Anything that brings a quality/notable non-conference opponent to play the Gophers in the Twin Cities, sign me up. If that's what it takes for the U to finally bring someone decent here to play the Gophers, I'm all in. I give you 3 examples:

1995 vs. Cal @ Metrodome
1996 vs. West Virginia @ Target Center
1997 vs. Villanova @ Target Center

And since I enjoy watching Division I basketball, a doubleheader is even better, whether it involves Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc., or any other Power 6 programs.

Geez. I posted this because I thought it sounded like a fun event - a basketball showcase in the new Vikes stadium, and a dry run for the stadium people for future NCAA Regionals and Final Fours.

As far as the recruiting aspect - c'mon. Do you really think some big-time recruit is going to commit to MN, then see them play on the same court as WI, and decide on the spot - "I'm going to WI because they played one game in the Vikings Stadium."

After all, WI and IA are never shown on BTN or ESPN, so the Gophers would be giving them a HUGE recruiting advantage by allowing them to play in this showcase event........................(sarcasm)

To be bluntly honest, given the current state of the Gopher program, WI or IA would probably be doing the Gophers a favor by agreeing to play in an event like this. It would probably elevate the Gophers' profile far more than WI or IA.

If you are that insecure as a coach or a program that you're afraid of having to compete for players, then don't take a D1 job, or a head coaching job. Maybe you should coach at a juco in Oklahoma.

Geez. I posted this because I thought it sounded like a fun event - a basketball showcase in the new Vikes stadium, and a dry run for the stadium people for future NCAA Regionals and Final Fours.

Minnesota vs. Marquette
Wisconsin vs. Iowa State

I'd prefer NDSU over Marquette but that would be a fun event.

I would use the word 'naive' instead.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It would be fun. Indianapolis used to host the Big Four Classic at the old Hoosier Dome. It included Indiana, Kentucky, Notre Dame and Louisville-you think they didn't compete on the recruiting trail?

Now Indianapolis hosts the Crossroads Classic: Indiana, Purdue, Butler and Notre Dame at Banker's Life.

Minnesota vs. Marquette
Wisconsin vs. Iowa State

I'd prefer NDSU over Marquette but that would be a fun event.
I'd rather play Marquette, unless we get to play ISU and the skunks get stuck with the Bison then by all means

Weren't we the "road" team vs West Virginia. Didn't Clem try to claim it as a road win

It was either that one or the Cal game the year before. Funny stuff - thanks for the reminder on that.

As far as the recruiting aspect - c'mon. Do you really think some big-time recruit is going to commit to MN, then see them play on the same court as WI, and decide on the spot - "I'm going to WI because they played one game in the Vikings Stadium."

After all, WI and IA are never shown on BTN or ESPN, so the Gophers would be giving them a HUGE recruiting advantage by allowing them to play in this showcase event........................(sarcasm)

To be bluntly honest, given the current state of the Gopher program, WI or IA would probably be doing the Gophers a favor by agreeing to play in an event like this. It would probably elevate the Gophers' profile far more than WI or IA.

If you are that insecure as a coach or a program that you're afraid of having to compete for players, then don't take a D1 job, or a head coaching job. Maybe you should coach at a juco in Oklahoma.

+1

You beat me to it.

Welcome to Paranoid City

Top Bottom