Turning TCF back to TCF.

NoNmae

Reaction score
Has anybody heard if they are taking the Vikings stands out of the open end? Also replacing the turf again and stiching the "M" back at the 50. Nice that the U helped out the Vikes and received all the stadium perks, but I got sick of the logo scrubbing and just want our field back.

I doubt the temporary bleachers from the end zone will return next season. With rare exceptions, the Gophers normally haven’t needed the additional capacity and for most games have unused seats. The Vikings’ lease at TCF Bank Stadium called for them to replace the original turf that lasted five seasons from 2009 to 2013 with new turf for 2014 and 2015, but which ultimately had as many or nearly as many games played on it as the original turf. Once the Vikings vacate the stadium, the lease calls for them to replace the turf again with a new surface for 2016 that the language describes as “new turf with permanent markings as selected by the University”. So if we don’t get a field with sewn in markings and logos for 2016, it’ll be by the U of M’s choosing. I’d expect the switchover after spring practice is in the books and likely during the summer.

Temporary seats are being removed, the Vikings already paid for new turf. The turf the last two years was a temporary different design with shorter blade grass that allowed repainting the field, my guess is they'll go back to the slightly longer blade style.

I hope the new turf looks like the turf of the last two years. I thought it looked much better than the original turf.

Return the end zones to perm maroon and make the block M a sewn in masterpiece. Seems pretty simple but I have seen the little things screwed up in the past. Maybe break the budget and buy three additional north rim flag poles too, to match the actual number of schools in the B1G. And retire the hefty bag cheerleader warm ups that seem to be worn any time the temps drop below 70.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers keep the current turf for a couple years to get the life out of it and then have the Vikings buy/apply the funds to the new turf then. Hosting the Vikings was a great thing for the facility, lots of upgrades.

I doubt the temporary bleachers from the end zone will return next season. With rare exceptions, the Gophers normally haven’t needed the additional capacity and for most games have unused seats. The Vikings’ lease at TCF Bank Stadium called for them to replace the original turf that lasted five seasons from 2009 to 2013 with new turf for 2014 and 2015, but which ultimately had as many or nearly as many games played on it as the original turf. Once the Vikings vacate the stadium, the lease calls for them to replace the turf again with a new surface for 2016 that the language describes as “new turf with permanent markings as selected by the University”. So if we don’t get a field with sewn in markings and logos for 2016, it’ll be by the U of M’s choosing. I’d expect the switchover after spring practice is in the books and likely during the summer.

Turf can be basically any color we want it to be (there's no rule that it needs to be green). I say go with the snow image, make it a white field :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers keep the current turf for a couple years to get the life out of it and then have the Vikings buy/apply the funds to the new turf then. Hosting the Vikings was a great thing for the facility, lots of upgrades.

The original turf had 35 Gopher games played on it. The second turf had 35 Gopher and Vikings games played on it. My guess is the Gophers get it replaced for 2016.

The original turf had 35 Gopher games played on it. The second turf had 35 Gopher and Vikings games played on it. My guess is the Gophers get it replaced for 2016.

I'm sure it will never happen because they sometimes hold concerts and stuff, but I like football on real grass, would love to see the gophs go back to it someday. Not really on topic I know.

They should wait until after the MN United play their season on it (if they do). All those little guys running around may damage the new turf.

Right, but the old turf wasn't replaced due to wear, it was replaced because they had to install the heating coils. I'd bet the turf has some life to it still, would make fiscal sense to use it for a little while longer.

Right, but the old turf wasn't replaced due to wear, it was replaced because they had to install the heating coils. I'd bet the turf has some life to it still, would make fiscal sense to use it for a little while longer.

The turf company recycles it, my guess is the turf they're playing on now was recycled at one point.
So not like it's being thrown away.

I hope the new turf looks like the turf of the last two years. I thought it looked much better than the original turf.

Agreed. The original one was bright and colorful, but looked a bit too "fake"...or something.

The OP is way off. Was TCF, always TCF. Now better. Much better. Referred to by every broadcaster as "Home of the University of Minnesota". Mission accomplished, much money made.

Time to move on.

I hope they spruce up the open end zone a bit. It looked a little trashed when I went to the vikings/bears game. It will be nice to not having the vikings there any more.

The turf company recycles it, my guess is the turf they're playing on now was recycled at one point.
So not like it's being thrown away.

Not really true. Our school has turf in it's batting cages from old turf fields as do other schools in our conference.

The OP is way off. Was TCF, always TCF. Now better. Much better. Referred to by every broadcaster as "Home of the University of Minnesota". Mission accomplished, much money made.

Time to move on.

All true except a little harsh about the O.P. Just wish there was enough demand to keep those extra seats. A 10-11 win season might make us wish they kept those seats. Hell, been a fan so long that one can always have that hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the start of the 2018 season for new turf.

Speaking of turfs, is the shorter nap the Vikings & Gophers just played on cause more injuries? Just curious.

So Mr. MEGATOUNGE said a long time ago they'd remove the seats but I haven't heard anything since then.

It would be a shame to keep that gorgeous open end of the field closed in by ugly seats.

Not really true. Our school has turf in it's batting cages from old turf fields as do other schools in our conference.

Astro turf from the Metrodome? Which isn't the same as this new synthetic stuff.
I remember playing townball somewhere (Cold Spring?.. i think) that had the old metrodome endzone turf in their batting cages.
From when the Gophers had the Gold filled endzone. That stuff was more like rolled up carpet, not really recyclable, but this new
stuff is almost all recycled.

All true except a little harsh about the O.P. Just wish there was enough demand to keep those extra seats. A 10-11 win season might make us wish they kept those seats. Hell, been a fan so long that one can always have that hope.

All they have to do is put it back. Takes one weekend. Everyone gets so bent out of shape over insignificant **** that can be fixed in a couple of days.

All they have to do is put it back. Takes one weekend. Everyone gets so bent out of shape over insignificant **** that can be fixed in a couple of days.

I'm the OP and I can take your comments Highwayman. I just want to look of the field back to where it was. To me as a season ticket holder the look and condition of the field the last couple years did matter. It did not look as good at the end of the year (even on TV). Again I'm happy they helped out the Vikes and received the perks - now I just want the permanent Gopher field back and the ugly stands out. Gophers House!

I agree completely that the stadium came across in a very positive light with the Vikings playing there with both the media and the Viking fans.

I also want to be the first to rename the nickname from the "bank" to the "Kiln" in honor of coach Claeys

I agree completely that the stadium came across in a very positive light with the Vikings playing there with both the media and the Viking fans.

I also want to be the first to rename the nickname from the "bank" to the "Kiln" in honor of coach Claeys

On the GopherSports recruiting blog this morning - I thought it interesting that when Billy Glasscock was asked if having TCF on national TV more often (Viking's games) made a difference when they talked to recruits - he said it really had no influence on them.

On the GopherSports recruiting blog this morning - I thought it interesting that when Billy Glasscock was asked if having TCF on national TV more often (Viking's games) made a difference when they talked to recruits - he said it really had no influence on them.

They hardly ever mentioned it on TV.... more of an off hand comment about the facility they were at, but that's it.

I can't imagine it mattered.

They hardly ever mentioned it on TV.... more of an off hand comment about the facility they were at, but that's it.

I can't imagine it mattered.

I'd imagine for most NFL teams if they played at their state's D1 college field it'd be like us "Here we are at *Insert College Stadium*, home of the *Insert college school's team*" unless it was a really well know, and old stadium. I don't think the vikings did much for the publicity of the stadium, if any. Was good to hear them complement the locker rooms, and hear the fans who had never been to TCF before compliment it as well.

Does it work for Pitt?

Top Bottom