Gopher Softball - 2016

Maybe a touch of over hype, but Sara Groenewegen is Gopher women's softball's Dave Winfield. Probably even more valuable to her team than Dave was because of the appearances she can make.

(Never mind. Just asked a really dumb question and erased it.)

So what does Coach Allister do opening day as far as pitching assignments? Friday they open with Utah Valley, weak squad. Later in the day they catch Oklahoma, very good squad, 49-9 last season, rated #9 this year. Finished the season #9 last year. 2013 NCAA champs. Paige Parker, arguably the best freshman in the nation last season, I assume will be throwing for the Sooners. Four perfect games last year, tied the NCAA record. She's very similar to Groenewegen as far as being a pitcher and a hitter. When she isn't throwing she's the DP. Oklahoma does get #19 Washington later in the day.
I'd have Nikki throw the first one, the opener against Utah Valley and have Sara take the OU contest. (Just because I love those pitching match ups.)

Maybe a touch of over hype, but Sara Groenewegen is Gopher women's softball's Dave Winfield. Probably even more valuable to her team than Dave was because of the appearances she can make.

(Never mind. Just asked a really dumb question and erased it.)

I think that's a bit of a stretch right now. She totally might well be but I think Kaitlyn Richardson was the Gopher women's softball's Dave Winfield. I know she graduated this last year but I still think she hold's that "mantle" until someone takes it from her.

I think the point is that Groenwegen is important both in the circle and at bat, much like Winfield was the ace pitcher and best hitter on the team.

Groenewegen Named to Watch List

Groenewegen went 31-7 recording a 1.67 ERA last season. She was 10th in the country with 10 shutouts and had a strikeout total of 379 placing her third in the nation and first in the Big Ten conference.

At the plate Groenewegen had a .372 batting average with a .650 slugging percentage. She led the Gophers with 12 home runs and 117 total bases. She drove in 44 total runs, five of which were game-winners and nine of that came with two outs.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/020316aab.html

Paige Parker is on the list along with another OU player, Erin Miller.
As is Ali Aguilar, Washington, Gopher opponent that first weekend.

Of course Betsa and Romero from Michigan, but also their team mate Kelly Christner.
Kiki Stokes from the Huskers.
Think that's it from the Big Ten.

Will any of the 3 newcomers make a huge impact like Parlich did last year? Does Houlihan take over at 1st base? She's the only lefty hitter of the three and she throws lefty also. They have Isham listed as an outfielder, although from what I've read, she caught for her high school. Chell is listed as utility.
8 more days till next Friday.

Will any of the 3 newcomers make a huge impact like Parlich did last year? Does Houlihan take over at 1st base? She's the only lefty hitter of the three and she throws lefty also. They have Isham listed as an outfielder, although from what I've read, she caught for her high school. Chell is listed as utility.
8 more days till next Friday.

Are there any box scores from the fall games so we can get a look at what line-up Coach Allister put out there?

Who is batting lead-off and 3rd? I would think Parlich would stay @2.

Who is replacing Richardson, Eckstrom, & Meyer? I assume Wagner is going to be the SS.

Who will be the #2 pitcher?

Gophers open up in Las Vegas on Friday at the Sportco Kick Off Classic.

First game at 1:15 against Utah Valley. The Wolverines were 18-41 last season. Picked to finish 6th in the WAC preseason poll.
Second game at 3:30 against Oklahoma. The Sooners were 49-9 last season. Picked to finish 1st in the Big 12 preseason poll.

Saturday at 1:15 they play Texas Tech. Red Raiders were 25-26 last season. Picked to finish 6th in the Big 12 preseason poll.
At 3:30 they take on Long Beach State. 49ers were 28-24 last season. Picked to finish 1st in the Big West preseason poll.

Sunday they play at 1:15 against Washington. Huskies finished 42-17 last season. Picked to finish 4th in the PAC-12 preseason poll.

Think I'd go Anderson, Groenewegen on Friday.
Anderson, Groenewegen on Saturday.
Groenewegen on Sunday.

Gophers Opening 2016 Season
Weekend Notes

The No. 13/14 Minnesota Gophers gear up for their first trip of the season as they head to Las Vegas, Nev. to compete in the Sportco Kickoff Classic this weekend.

The Maroon and Gold take on Utah Valley to open their season Friday at 1:15 p.m. before a touch matchup against No. 8/9 Oklahoma at 3:30 p.m. Saturday the Gophers take on Texas Tech at 1:15 p.m. and Long Beach State at 3:30 p.m. They wrap up play Sunday at 1:15 p.m. against No. 19/20 Washington.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/021116aaa.html

Groenewegen is number 6 in the ESPN countdown to the number one player, which won't be revealed till tomorrow.

Excited for another start to a hopefully great season.

This is the year we go to the WCWS. Calling it right now, mark my words.

Groenewegen home run in first at bat of the year.

Freshman Houlihan with a double and home run in the first 3 innings

Groenewegen home run in first at bat of the year.

Freshman Houlihan with a double and home run in the first 3 innings
Great!
Looks like the Gophers run ruled them 9-0 in 5 innings with Stober starting and going the distance.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Starting lineup for the first game.

Groenewegen with 8 strikeouts through 3 innings. The most recorded against the Sooners in a game last season was 9.

0-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd.

0-0 with Gophers coming up in bottom of 4th. Groenewegen with 9 strikeouts now.
(Taylor LeMay just missed a 3 run homer in the bottom of the 3rd. She crushed one, but evidently it hooked foul.)

0-0 going into the bottom of the 5th. Groenewegen with 11 strikeouts.
0-0 going into the 6th. Parker with 6 strikeouts.

0-0 going into the top of the 7th. Parker starting to get some deep counts on the Gopher hitters. Groenewegen with 12 strikeouts. Gophers left runners on second and first in the 6th.

Sooners steal second base with 2 outs. Groenewegen retires Erin Miller to end the threat. Stuck her out. 14 now.
0-0 heading into the bottom of the the 7th.

Man, take on the #9 team in the nation. Storied program, blah, blah, blah. Allister sends that righhander out to the circle and all of a sudden....who knows?

Top Bottom