I'm calling it right now

The other problem is Pitino doesn't run the Rick/UL offense. He runs the Billy D/ Florida offense which featured guys like Scottie Wilbekin, Bradley Beal, Chandler Parsons, Erik Murphy, Corey Brewer, etc. if Pitino doesn't want to recruit a team full of average to good three point shooters that's fine, but then he shouldn't run an offense designed to get three point shots either.

That's a keen observation. It reminds me of President Kennedy describing Washington, D.C. as a city of southern efficiency and northern charm.

That's a keen observation. It reminds me of President Kennedy describing Washington, D.C. as a city of southern efficiency and northern charm.

This ends up being the magic question- do you design and run a system that you want for the long term, even though you don't have the right guys for it yet, or do you cobble together a short term system to match the guys you have? It seems that a lack of developed talent will expose the flaws of either idea.

Yes, Iowa is having a fine year, but there is another big difference between them and the Gophers: Iowa is the most senior reliant team in the conference (by quite a bit in terms of minutes played). Iowa starts four seniors and one junior and they all play substantial minutes. Those five guys have logged a lot of minutes over their careers. In terms of maturity and experience per minute of play, Iowa tops the conference. Next year may be a significant adjustment for them.
I was about to say 4/5 starters, Jok's a junior are Seniors. Like Wisconsin last year or us in 97 this is the year where they're all in.

I come in peace...Illini fan here. I've really only posted on another teams forum once...the Iowa board. But now that Iowa fans think they have the best college basketball team in the last 25 years, I've decided to come talk basketball with you guys. I've watched a couple Gopher games and i have to agree with the original statement. You guys are going to have a damn good team maybe as soon as next year. I've been really impressed with Murphy. Reminds me a little of Branden Dawson. Im also a big fan of Nate Mason. IMO you guys have the pieces to have a very good team next year. Just depends on if Pitino can get them to work together...I dont know what everybodies thoughts of Pitino are on here so i wont comment on him. :)

Yes, Iowa is having a fine year, but there is another big difference between them and the Gophers: Iowa is the most senior reliant team in the conference (by quite a bit in terms of minutes played). Iowa starts four seniors and one junior and they all play substantial minutes. Those five guys have logged a lot of minutes over their careers. In terms of maturity and experience per minute of play, Iowa tops the conference. Next year may be a significant adjustment for them.

Yep, over 56% of their minutes come from seniors. It's about 29% for the Gophers and just 40% for upperclassmen.

I come in peace...Illini fan here. I've really only posted on another teams forum once...the Iowa board. But now that Iowa fans think they have the best college basketball team in the last 25 years, I've decided to come talk basketball with you guys. I've watched a couple Gopher games and i have to agree with the original statement. You guys are going to have a damn good team maybe as soon as next year. I've been really impressed with Murphy. Reminds me a little of Branden Dawson. Im also a big fan of Nate Mason. IMO you guys have the pieces to have a very good team next year. Just depends on if Pitino can get them to work together...I dont know what everybodies thoughts of Pitino are on here so i wont comment on him. :)

I hope you are right!

Yep, over 56% of their minutes come from seniors. It's about 29% for the Gophers and just 40% for upperclassmen.

More importantly their top senior is Utoff. Ours is King. Need I say more?

I knew Iowa St. had a lot of older guys on their team as well so checked them out. They get 54% of their minutes from seniors and 93% from upperclassmen.

I mentioned it in another thread, the recruiting class coming in is great, but the key is to consistently bring in good recruiting classes. Not necessarily top 20 every year, but have to be consistent.

Iowa how to get to the middle of the pack and maybe more.

Oh I agree, Iowa is having a fine year, but they have had many fine years. And yes many upper classmen, just like last years gopher team. They have done this without top 20 recruiting classes. Maybe we should try to emulate a successful big ten team, than teams like Louisville and Florida. After losing Aaron White last year, most people, me included, thought this year may have been a step back. My Athlon sports magazine picked them to finish 7th... in the big ten. I doubt Pitino would look at a Gesell, Woodbury, not athletic enough-- yet important pieces.

Just finished watching tonight against Purdue. It's impossible for me not to see the future in Mason, McBrayer, Murphy, Dorsey + Gilbert (although he's out). These guys just need to come back as sophomores, improve a couple of skills (free throws, among others) over the summer, and get joined by Lynch/Fitz (not to mention Coffey/Curry/Hurt).

I haven't been this excited since Mbakwe, Williams, Hollins, Hollins, Coleman. Really, I think this team looks like it has the potential to be a better passing team.

We do need someone to emerge as a shooter.

Make the danged free throws!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What bothers me most is recruiting. When recruiting highly rated in state players we seemingly lose out or put in a half hearted attempt. This is why Amir Coffey is such a big deal.

Stop it! I have broken this down multiple times with numbers. Top recruits (247 top 100) stay in their home state at a rate of between 25 and 33% of the time. This is accross the country. We landed R. Williams, R. White(before we lost him), Joe Coleman, Jarvis Johnson(boarder line top 100), and now Coffey(solid top 100) out of my recent memory. We missed on Illikanen, Jones, Vaughn, Travis, Macura, Noreen, Dower, Bruesewitz, Berggren, Taylor(lowest on the list at 120), and Aldrich since 2007's class. That means we have landed 5 of the top 16 players since 2007 from our state... a 31.2% retention rate. That matches the National retention rate for players in the top 100ish of 247's composite rankings

Edit: Jarvis wasn't as high as I remember so we should probably not include him so we are 4/15 which is still >25% and roughly the national average.

Stop it! I have broken this down multiple times with numbers. Top recruits (247 top 100) stay in their home state at a rate of between 25 and 33% of the time. This is accross the country. We landed R. Williams, R. White(before we lost him), Joe Coleman, Jarvis Johnson(boarder line top 100), and now Coffey(solid top 100) out of my recent memory. We missed on Illikanen, Jones, Vaughn, Travis, Macura, Noreen, Dower, Bruesewitz, Berggren, Taylor(lowest on the list at 120), and Aldrich since 2007's class. That means we have landed 5 of the top 16 players since 2007 from our state... a 31.2% retention rate. That matches the National retention rate for players in the top 100ish of 247's composite rankings

Edit: Jarvis wasn't as high as I remember so we should probably not include him so we are 4/15 which is still >25% and roughly the national average.
Wasn't Hoffarber an ESPN top 100?

This ends up being the magic question- do you design and run a system that you want for the long term, even though you don't have the right guys for it yet, or do you cobble together a short term system to match the guys you have? It seems that a lack of developed talent will expose the flaws of either idea.

I think good coaches make the system fit the players. When you try to force players to fit a system they weren't meant for it can be a train wreck. This is far worse in football than basketball, however. Best example I can think of Tim Brewster's 2007 offense. Yikes.

Well, if statistics matter, and you are acting like they do, then is this low percentage acceptable? Just because you benchmark it against a low national average doesn't make it excusable. This is the thing with statistics, they are used as explanations and become excuses. The excuses become obstructions and distractions to what we are striving for: Winning and Excellence.

We aren't winning the recruiting war because we come up with excuses for why we can't recruit better players and we give up on excellence.

Well, if statistics matter, and you are acting like they do, then is this low percentage acceptable? Just because you benchmark it against a low national average doesn't make it excusable. This is the thing with statistics, they are used as explanations and become excuses. The excuses become obstructions and distractions to what we are striving for: Winning and Excellence.

We aren't winning the recruiting war because we come up with excuses for why we can't recruit better players and we give up on excellence.

Fair enough but you can't attack a coach or program for this when he or it is doing at least as well as every where else. You can say we would like to do better but it cannot be used as a negative.

Well 3 for 4 with top instate talent. Guessing he will sign two of John, Wright and Mar in 17 and lose out on Trent. Tubby landed just about everyone he wanted too. Signed White and Williams, got Mbakwe to come back, signed Coleman, Appeared to be failing on the big three which probably played a part in his firing. Even factoring those three in, Tubby was around 50% Pitino's doing a good job so far with instate guys. With the amount of talent coming up, the issue will be similar to Monson years in terms of are we signing the right in state players? Are we getting them and letting the wrong one's get away because we didn't recruit them hard enough

Just stop with this guy. He makes absolutely no sense. It's like the 3rd or 4th thread that he has turned into a bunch of idiocy and consistently repeating the same innaccurate statements over and over.

Of all the things you want to hate Pitino on, instate recruiting is not one of them.

touchdownvikings... I'll give you some props... Your statement a year ago was accurate. I do think this is a well constructed team. Each player has a unique set of talents and their isn't alot of redundancy or overlap... That's recruiting the right guys if you ask me! Tubby seemed to get too many guys that had similar skill sets.

I'll also compliment you on 'tooting your own horn'... good work!

I standby my endorsement your post. I was hoping this was the thread where I predicted that they would make the tournament this year. Funny to see all of the comments again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madman and Alchemy, my brothers, we stand prophetic. This is going to be fun!

Since this is predictions thread.

Final Four baby, I'm calling it now.....

Still standing by my call last year.

Now: we need to prepare the strategy to keep Mr. Pitino here for the long haul. It's a natural fit: great coach, great metropolis. Let's get this done.

Top Bottom