Shooter: Meanwhile, inexplicably, Minnesota has yet to offer Kill a position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Jerry Kill continues to receive offers from notable football programs other than Minnesota -- two from top-10 teams -- since his retirement as Gophers coach for health reasons in October. Kill, 54, isn't interested in head coaching again, but schools want him to work in assorted capacities.

On Feb. 19 in Orlando, Fla., on behalf of the NFL, Kill will address college and pro coaches about relationships and career advancement. He spoke in Philadelphia the other day, then in Kansas City at coaching clinics. On Saturday, he was to speak in Denver.

Kill, who has moved home to Marion, Ill., will be back in the Twin Cities this spring for a couple more speaking appearances. He's committed to 10 more engagements, and he continues to work on a book.

Meanwhile, inexplicably, Minnesota has yet to offer Kill a position in its athletics department. Gophers boosters have long sought financial support from Minnesota grad T. Denny Sanford, the billionaire from St. Paul who seven years ago gave his alma mater $6 million for its Gophers Hall of Fame.

Sanford is a big fan of Kill, but if Kill no longer is associated with the Gophers, there is virtually no chance of Sanford providing another gift. Sanford flew Kill and wife Rebecca to his 80th birthday party last month in Sioux Falls, S.D. Guests included Jack Nicklaus and country singer Tim McGraw, who entertained.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29423779/charley-walters-paul-molitor-has-twins-pretty-good

Go Gophers!!

speculation

well, i'll speculate- Kill is unhappy with how the U handled his exit payment.

Does something feel dysfunctional about the U Administration, or is there comings and goings between Kill and the U that we don't know about? I have to believe that The U have been talking to Kill privately.

Coach Kill will be an excellent choice for ambassador for The U in fundraising and public relations.

I have to believe that Kill moving to Marion, IL was pretty much saying he will have nothing to do with the administration and working for the U. As others have speculated Kill thinks he was financially screwed over by the U--that is the most likely scenario.

Now was he screwed over in how he should have been compensated when he resigned or was he basically made a part-time offer in working for the U afterwards?

Some of you may recall that there was a clause in his contract that protected the U if he resigned for health reasons. That if he wasn't able to do the job he wasn't going to take money that he didn't earn or deserve. That has been his mantra. Now it is hypocritical of him to be mad at the U if the reason he resigned was that he wasn't able to give the U their money's worth.

I feel bad for Coach Kill but I really think both sides should move on. I really don't buy the idea that he's some fund-raising powerhouse. It's not like he's Tom Osbourne or even George Perles.

Kill, like many University employees, had an employment contract with the U which contained all the terms of his employment, including the possibility of his leaving for a variety of reasons. Its hard to understand how he got "screwed over" by the U so long as all the terms of his employment agreement were met. Whether the U should do something for Kill after his resignation in addition to the U's contractual obligations to Kill is another matter. I think they should but that's the call for the Acting AD and Pres Kaler. I would urge that they find a constructive role for a guy through fault of his own had to surrender his position and who still has much to contribute to the U.

Maybe Claeys is better off without Kill around. No need to second guess Claeys, he needs to make this work on his own.

I'd be curious who he talked to to find this out. Doesn't appear it was Kill.

Doogie is saying the opposite is true.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some type of ambassador position might work. Kill should not be close to the day-to-day operations in the Athletic Dept.

Kill was not as involved in fund raising as some would like to think.

Stay in Marion coach and crappie fish. You didn't look very healthy at the bowl game.

wait! what?, kill has an offer from the U on the table? this changes everything....new speculation, jerry kill is keeping the door open to coach again...within 2-3 yrs.

Two different stories now. Both Sid and Shooter have said no offer has been made. My guess is that no concrete offer (contract with terms) has been offered. Beth and Kill have talked and Beth has said you can be an ambassador on your terms. Kill wants more money to be an ambassador and or is mad about the severance package and therefore says no offer has been made. It's like saying "you can come work at the store at the hours and days you want" and Kill wants more money and hasn't received a written concrete offer saying these are the days and hours you will work and this is the salary.

I think the U should leave their offer on the table and tell Country Jer to take a hike if he doesn't like it. I seriously doubt him being an ambassador is that important to the future of the U.

It's amazing (not) how specific details of a certain someone's life always seem to find there way to the public.....when it's advantages.:cool02:

The only things of substance in this thread are wait!what?'s speculation and RalphWiggum's guess. I'm not sure which is worth more.

The only things of substance in this thread are wait!what?'s speculation and RalphWiggum's guess. I'm not sure which is worth more.

You and I have drastically different definitions of that word.

Two different stories now. Both Sid and Shooter have said no offer has been made. My guess is that no concrete offer (contract with terms) has been offered. Beth and Kill have talked and Beth has said you can be an ambassador on your terms. Kill wants more money to be an ambassador and or is mad about the severance package and therefore says no offer has been made. It's like saying "you can come work at the store at the hours and days you want" and Kill wants more money and hasn't received a written concrete offer saying these are the days and hours you will work and this is the salary.

I think the U should leave their offer on the table and tell Country Jer to take a hike if he doesn't like it. I seriously doubt him being an ambassador is that important to the future of the U.

This absolute has to be a bit, right?

When this first happened, I really wanted Coach Kill to stay with the U. The more I've thought about it since, I think both sides might be better served with a separation.

If you were a coach of a Power 5 program, would you want to walk those halls as a glorified telemarketer who begs for money?

If you were Coach Claeys, though you like and respect JK a lot, do you really need him looking over your shoulder, popping in to question something you did, etc.?

If you were the new AD, do you need some coach who you never had a connection to hanging around?

Coach Claeys would never publicly say it, but I'm sure he'd just as soon not have JK around so he can make his own name for himself. He will carefully give JK credit now and then, but at some point, he wants to be the coach, not the proxy for JK. As long as JK is present at the U, Coach Claeys is just his fill in...

When this first happened, I really wanted Coach Kill to stay with the U. The more I've thought about it since, I think both sides might be better served with a separation.

If you were a coach of a Power 5 program, would you want to walk those halls as a glorified telemarketer who begs for money?

If you were Coach Claeys, though you like and respect JK a lot, do you really need him looking over your shoulder, popping in to question something you did, etc.?

If you were the new AD, do you need some coach who you never had a connection to hanging around?

Coach Claeys would never publicly say it, but I'm sure he'd just as soon not have JK around so he can make his own name for himself. He will carefully give JK credit now and then, but at some point, he wants to be the coach, not the proxy for JK. As long as JK is present at the U, Coach Claeys is just his fill in...

This staff, including TC, has continuously visited other programs for ideas. I'm pretty sure he continues to have discussions with Kill, who poses no threat.

I agree. Love coach Kill but it is time for him to move on. Wish the best for him and his family.

Since Kill no longer lives in Minnesota, I think the subject is moot.

This is such a weird topic.

Nobody knows anything.

It's not clear that Jerry wants anything.

It's not clear that he U wants anything.

Jerry can't recruit or anything if he's not a coach so if he got a job as far as football goes his impact is super limited.

I'm not sure any kids care that some guy at the school has some one off non coaching job.

Jerry is busy doing other things....

Jerry doesn't even live here anymore...

Even if folks get what they want out of this non situation I'm not sure it changes anything at all.

Agree 100%. As one who took over a family business, it is exactly what you described. Best of luck to Coach Kill and to Coach Claeys!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is such a weird topic.

Nobody knows anything.

It's not clear that Jerry wants anything.

It's not clear that he U wants anything.

Jerry can't recruit or anything if he's not a coach so if he got a job as far as football goes his impact is super limited.

I'm not sure any kids care that some guy at the school has some one off non coaching job.

Jerry is busy doing other things....

Jerry doesn't even live here anymore...

Even if folks get what they want out of this non situation I'm not sure it changes anything at all.

Could not agree more. It is a non-factor from a football and fan standpoint regardless of what Kill ends up doing. He was never going to be in the mix for the AD position and outside of that role, nothing he ends up doing will really be visible at all to fans. Hopefully he finds something that will work for him but as to whether that is at the U or not really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

He sold his house...he moved on...he's gone.

Top Bottom