J.Myers: Lucia will leave, someday, on his own terms

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jess Meyers:

So if someone else is behind the home bench at Mariucci next season, it would be hard to envision a coaching change precipitated by on-ice results. I am of the opinion that if Lucia is gone, it will be because he’s not offered an immediate extension that is of his liking, or he simply feels it’s time to walk away.

Some believe that would’ve happened two years ago, had the Gophers been able to beat Union in the 2014 NCAA title game. With his third national championship banner hanging – equaling the resume of Herb Brooks with the Gophers – it would’ve been a perfect “drop the mic” moment for Lucia.

The coach will be 58 in August. He’s a grandfather now. His youngest son, Mario, will be done with college hockey at Notre Dame when this season ends, and as a second-round draft pick of the Wild, may be working at Xcel Energy Center as soon as next fall. One can certainly envision a time when being a grandfather and a hockey dad will be more important than another four-hour bus ride to Madison on a winter Thursday afternoon. But those close to Lucia know his competitive fire still burns brightly, and the vision of raising a third NCAA title banner hasn’t left his head.

Lucia will give way to a new face and a new voice inside the Gophers locker room someday, maybe as soon as April. But if and when he does, it will be by his choice, and on his terms.

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2016/01/j-myers-lucia-will-leave-someday-on-his-own-terms/

Go Gophers!!

Beautifully written! Too many naysayers in regards to The Don who has done so much for our program. I was in school when Woog was at the helm and I respected him as well but Lucia is one of the greats. I continue to support him and am thankful for all he has done for our Pride on Ice!

No national titles at MN in 12 years is a travesty, a joke. Doug Woog was a joke of a coach. University of MN fans should always expect more than 0 titles in 12 years. 1 title game in 12 years and it was an embarrassing blowout loss. It's a shame The State of Hockey's flagship university settles for middle of the pack in men's ice hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No national titles at MN in 12 years is a travesty, a joke. Doug Woog was a joke of a coach. University of MN fans should always expect more than 0 titles in 12 years. 1 title game in 12 years and it was an embarrassing blowout loss. It's a shame The State of Hockey's flagship university settles for middle of the pack in men's ice hockey.

What "pack" are you referring to that you think we have been in the middle of under Don?

What "pack" are you referring to that you think we have been in the middle of under Don?

Since his 2 National titles, Don and his Gopher teams have been pretty irrelevant. Let's say they've been in the 'middle of the pack' in regards to the 5 D1 hockey schools in the State of MN, which should be extremely disappointing to U of M hockey fans. It should be unacceptable to go a decade without a National championship at the U. The U has taken a backseat to UMD, SCSU, and even MSU and BSU numerous times over the last 12 years.

Since his 2 National titles, Don and his Gopher teams have been pretty irrelevant. Let's say they've been in the 'middle of the pack' in regards to the 5 D1 hockey schools in the State of MN, which should be extremely disappointing to U of M hockey fans. It should be unacceptable to go a decade without a National championship at the U. The U has taken a backseat to UMD, SCSU, and even MSU and BSU numerous times over the last 12 years.

Since his 2 national titles, Don and his Gopher teams have been to the National Championship game plus two other Frozen Fours, won the WCHA 4 times and the B1G twice. I guess "pretty irrelevant" is subjective, but I think I lot of programs would kill for that level of irrelevance.

As for the other Minnesota teams, in that 12 years, UMD has won a title, SCSU and BSU have been to the Frozen Four, and MSU has had some really good seasons. Lots of teams have taken a "back seat" to them at some point during the last 12 years. For right now, we are only behind one of those four in the PWR.

Ya, but this is the University of Minnesota. Herb Brooks, boatloads of NHL draft picks, the State of Hockey. All you mentioned over the last 12 years isn't good enough in my opinion. Of course, we are talking about the U of M athletic department. How long do you accept not even getting close to a National title? Ya, championship game once, but never even in the game. Hopefully Lucia can get back to form this year or next, if not, someone needs to have the guts to do what's right for Minnesota hockey.

Ya, but this is the University of Minnesota. Herb Brooks, boatloads of NHL draft picks, the State of Hockey. All you mentioned over the last 12 years isn't good enough in my opinion. Of course, we are talking about the U of M athletic department. How long do you accept not even getting close to a National title? Ya, championship game once, but never even in the game. Hopefully Lucia can get back to form this year or next, if not, someone needs to have the guts to do what's right for Minnesota hockey.

It was a one-goal game with 3 minutes left.

Look, I'm not at all happy with where the team has been for the bulk of the season (though things have been trending upward in the past few weeks), but making things up is a ridiculous way to form your arguments.

I don't have an opinion on Lucia but do think many have not noticed the US game is changing. It used to be Minnesota had the talent to pick and choose but hockey has become much more national. It is no longer just Minnesota and the Boston area putting out all the best talent. Look at the recent US junior team. Only 2 Minnesotans n a roster if 22 (another problem was one attends at UND and the other Mankato).

It is probably time to recruit like a national program and grab the best players regardless of geography and nationality.

It was a one-goal game with 3 minutes left.

Look, I'm not at all happy with where the team has been for the bulk of the season (though things have been trending upward in the past few weeks), but making things up is a ridiculous way to form your arguments.

Union led that game from late in the first period on, half of that time by 2 goals, and ended up winning by 3. Just because MN scored a goal to get within one doesn't mean they were ever really in the game. Anyone who knows the game of hockey who watched that game knows Union was in control throughout. It's not like it went back and forth or was ever even a tie game after the first 15 minutes. MN was lucky they didn't lose by 5 or 6, Union was not lucky to win by 3!

Gophers falling behind in Minnesota college hockey

http://bit.ly/1Q0WhsT

Miserable record over the last 20 games, and if you just compare SCSU and UMD I bet you could go back 5 years and it wouldn't be good. Like I said, hopefully Lucia gets back to form this year, but the competition in the Big Ten isn't exactly top notch.

The previous poster makes a great point about recruiting. But the coach is responsible for recruiting and how much enthusiasm and mental toughness his team plays with.

Lucia should have to make final four to save job this year. You guys still want to defend him????? Pride on ice???? 4th or 5th best D1 school........in Minnesota. And losing at home at that. Obviously a lot of pride.

Top Bottom