All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

So far this weekend Race had games of 16 points, 5 rebounds, 14 points, 9 rebounds, 3 blocks and 14 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks. They play again today.

Averaging 13.9 PPG and over 7 RPG on a 4-3 team.

I love efficient players, its really an under valued trait in players.

I wouldn't go off one game. Efficiency is one of his issues. If he stops trying to prove he is a 3 man and starts focusing on attacking the basket and using his body, he could be a force in the future.

I wouldn't go off one game. Efficiency is one of his issues. If he stops trying to prove he is a 3 man and starts focusing on attacking the basket and using his body, he could be a force in the future.

Bingo. Race is a 4 at the next level who can occasionally step out and play on the perimeter offensively but he needs to attack in the paint and be physical. That's who he is

There is no question in my mind that Race has the outside shot and handle to play the 3 at the next level, the only question to me is if he can effectively guard 3's on the perimeter at the Big Ten level.

When he does play the 4 though he is not as aggressive of a rebounder as I would like him to be. I feel like he could have averaged 3-4 more boards this year if he crashed the boards more with more aggression. He's not an aggressive rim protector either and his length doesn't really bother people as much as John, Oturu and Ruever's length does.

There is no question in my mind that Race has the outside shot and handle to play the 3 at the next level, the only question to me is if he can effectively guard 3's on the perimeter at the Big Ten level.

When he does play the 4 though he is not as aggressive of a rebounder as I would like him to be. I feel like he could have averaged 3-4 more boards this year if he crashed the boards more with more aggression. He's not an aggressive rim protector either and his length doesn't really bother people as much as John, Oturu and Ruever's length does.

Agree with you on when he plays the 4 he isn't as aggressive, but that's his problem. With his size, there is now way he shouldn't be averaging getting 10 boards a game. I think he can be a good combo forward but he's better suited at the 4 where he can capitalize on his ability to beat 4s off the dribble. At the 3 at the next level he will struggle to guard and his handle isn't on a level where he can be an effective perimeter player vs other 3s.

This is very accurate. He has a unique skill set for a guy his size and I personally like the fact that he has a perimeter game but you'd like to see him be more aggressive and take advantage of his size more often.

per Shama:

Race Thompson told Sports Headliners he hears the encouraging words from Minnesotans to become a Gopher and he appreciates the hometown interest but he won’t be influenced by others in choosing a college destination.

Thompson, the junior power forward from Armstrong High School, has offers from more than 10 schools including the Gophers. The Rivals four-star player said he probably will choose a school next fall and is looking for the place he will feel most comfortable, including a “family atmosphere.”

Thompson will make some college visits after July 1 and could sign a National Letter of Intent in November, the first signing opportunity for class of 2018 players to officially commit to their colleges. While schools like Minnesota and Marquette have been recruiting Thompson for some time, Indiana is now showing interest, too. Thompson said he isn’t sure, though, if he will visit Bloomington.

Darrell Thompson, the Gophers all-time leading rusher in football, has said throughout the recruiting process that he and wife Stephanie won’t direct their son to play for the U, even though their suburban Minneapolis home would make travelling to watch him in college much easier than any other place.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Race Thompson told Sports Headliners he hears the encouraging words from Minnesotans to become a Gopher and he appreciates the hometown interest but he won’t be influenced by others in choosing a college destination.

Thompson, the junior power forward from Armstrong High School, has offers from more than 10 schools including the Gophers. The Rivals four-star player said he probably will choose a school next fall and is looking for the place he will feel most comfortable, including a “family atmosphere.”

Thompson will make some college visits after July 1 and could sign a National Letter of Intent in November, the first signing opportunity for class of 2018 players to officially commit to their colleges. While schools like Minnesota and Marquette have been recruiting Thompson for some time, Indiana is now showing interest, too. Thompson said he isn’t sure, though, if he will visit Bloomington.

Darrell Thompson, the Gophers all-time leading rusher in football, has said throughout the recruiting process that he and wife Stephanie won’t direct their son to play for the U, even though their suburban Minneapolis home would make travelling to watch him in college much easier than any other place.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Don't want to count the chickens before they hatch, but he sounds like a shoe-in to commit to the U

Don't want to count the chickens before they hatch, but he sounds like a shoe-in to commit to the U

Not the vibe I got from the article. He has consistently said in nearly every interview when asked about the gophers that he is very open in regards to which school he'll attend, he won't be swayed by others and his dad isn't pushing him towards the U. That doesn't mean we won't get him but when I read those comments I don't get "shoe-in" to the gophers feeling.

We'll see though. I feel like Amir and his dad said the same types of things and didn't get the vibe that his dad was pushing him to the U but he ended up here anyways.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said that Indiana is coming on hard for Race. Iowa State has been in the mix for a long time. He also said "I don't know if the Gophers get Race Thompson, that's why they are coming up with contingency plans."

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/2017/05/thad-levine-gophers-road-trip-ep-76/

Go Gophers!!

They have "contingency plans" at every position. You don't just recruit one guy at a position of need and prey.
Not a shot of you Bleed, just find Doogie to be a captain obvious type

They have "contingency plans" at every position. You don't just recruit one guy at a position of need and prey.
Not a shot of you Bleed, just find Doogie to be a captain obvious type

Duh is literally my reaction dang near every time he tweets

Interview with Race from Scout, with a focus from Indiana's perspective. I could access the article on my phone am locked out on my laptop (it's subscription only, not sure why it worked on my phone). Nothing earth shattering, says he may visit Indiana, Michigan, MSU in June. Talks most with Minnesota, ISU, Baylor, Marquette, Nebraska, and Indiana.

The author also says that Indiana assistant Tom Ostrom has "strong Minnesota ties". Ostrom apparently was on Clem's staff as an undergrad, which was a long time ago. I don't think he's worked around the state since (based on the couple of brief bios I read). Does anyone know if Ostrom actually has any remaining ties with the U or high school level coaches in the area? I don't like the idea that Indiana has a recruiting in, no matter how small, with how ripe the young talent is in this state.

Ostrom was on Miller's staff at Dayton and was the lead recruiter of McKinley Wright. Race played with Wright last year with Adidas D-1, so Ostrom certainly has seen him plenty. The "local" angle with an assistant coach seems overplayed when the actual local school is involved and can have a Minnesotan (Ben Johnson) be the lead recruiter if that actually matters to the kid/family (I don't think it usually does).

Enough with this kid- even if he is a legacy. Offer Thomas the scholarship and get him and Tre. This staff has had a good track record of developing bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough with this kid- even if he is a legacy. Offer Thomas the scholarship and get him and Tre. This staff has had a good track record of developing bigs.

Why "enough" of Race? Does it bother you that he is thinking about visiting other schools, that he has several other good offers or that the staff will have to work to get him? If the staff feels like Race is a much better player than Jarvis which they do and I agree with that, then they should not settle. It's only May anyways.

Why "enough" of Race? Does it bother you that he is thinking about visiting other schools, that he has several other good offers or that the staff will have to work to get him? If the staff feels like Race is a much better player than Jarvis which they do and I agree with that, then they should not settle. It's only May anyways.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. It sounds like Race is a super skilled big who doesn't always put forth max effort. Thomas sounds like a much less skilled, but very athletic kid who is always going max effort. I think that probably fits better with Pitino's style and probably gels with the current/future roster. Let's keep this streak of nasty big men going. The kind of big dudes that opposing players dread having to chase around and attempt to box out for 40 minutes.

I have no dogs in this fight. But I did like what I saw on the court this year.

[emoji849]

lol wut

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom