All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

per Shama:

Race Thompson, the junior forward from Armstrong High School who is among the best prep basketball players in Minnesota, made unofficial recruiting visits to Creighton and Nebraska last weekend. Both schools have offered scholarships, along with Arizona State, Iowa State, Kansas State, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Marquette and the Gophers.

Thompson said he will probably choose a school after the AAU season ends next summer. If he chose a college now which one would it be?

“I honestly don’t know,” Thompson told Sports Headliners last week.

Race’s dad Darrell is the Gophers all-time career leading rusher and now a radio analyst on Minnesota’s football games. The Thompson family lives in Plymouth, and Darrell is the president of Bolder Options, the Minneapolis-based nonprofit that works with at-risk youth.

Darrell, though, isn’t pushing his son toward a specific college, preferring to let him make his own decisions. Race said the important factors for him in choosing a school are the basketball program’s coach, the players and style of play.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Q: What are your impressions of the Gophers this season?

A: Amir has impressed me a lot. I like the way he’s playing. I wouldn’t say we have a (totally) similar game. But he’s a taller guy who can handle the ball and shoot threes and mix it up inside. I definitely watch him the most when I watch the Gophers. It’s nice watching him play, score the ball, play defense. At the (level) he’s playing at, it’s all good for him.

Q: How much would it mean in recruiting you for the Gophers to continue winning and make the NCAA tournament?

A: The fact that they’re winning definitely takes them up a notch. But just because they’re winning I’m not going to let that affect where I feel most at home. It’s pretty much what I look for when I go on visits and stuff – I just want to feel at home and feel comfortable.

Q: Your father, Darrell, was a great football player at the U. Coffey’s father, Richard, was a basketball standout. Do you feel there are people expecting you to play for your dad’s alma mater and follow Coffey's path?

A: My dad doesn’t pressure me at all. He’s open to if I wanted to go all the way to California or all the way to wherever. He’s not going to say you can’t go there. I don’t want you to go there because it’s too far. He’s not going to say, “Go to Minnesota. Go to Minnesota.” He wants me to go where I can be the best. That’s pretty much it. My dad likes the U, but I don’t think he has it that he wants me to go there in the back of his mind. Amir’s dad played basketball, so he knows the program inside and out. My dad played football, so he knows the football team better. He just wants me to go wherever I want.

http://www.startribune.com/race-tho...426735/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said "I get the sense that Iowa State and the Gophers are near the top of his list, but he is keeping his options open."

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Race, who has scholarship offers from schools such as Baylor, Arizona State, Iowa State, Marquette and the Gophers, is a 6-8 forward for Armstrong and ranked as the 87th-best prospect in the country by Rivals.com.

His dad said times have definitely changed when it comes to how schools approach players.

“It’s all the extra things,” Thompson said. “I mean, there’s all the social media stuff now. I got a lot of stuff in the mail, but now with Twitter and Snapchat and all the different social media things, I think that puts more pressure on kids than they would have had during my era.

“There certainly was pressure. Everywhere I went, people were telling me where I should go to school, and that’s really not different for Race. He’s certainly feeling a little bit of pressure.”

Observations, advice

Thompson is in the position to observe how schools try to sway his children to come to their school, and he talked about his observations of that practice.

“I have two boys, one [True] who is going to finish up at a community college next year and we’ll find a place for him, and then we have our younger boy [Race],” he said. “But what goes through their mind is just trying to find a place you want to be when you get done with [college sports], because more than football or basketball or an athletic decision, it’s a decision on where you want to be.

“And that quite honestly is the reason I [ended up] at the University of Minnesota. If I just wanted to play football, I might have ended up somewhere else, but this was certainly the right decision for me. I would do it all over again. I would do the exact same thing.”

Thompson said he doesn’t try to influence his kids’ choices, but he hopes they come to him and his wife, Stephanie, for advice.

“I think it’s important for them to make their own decision,” he said. “I don’t want somebody to come back and be upset and frustrated, but I think that I certainly will have a say, just like my wife will have a say in it. I think everything from the coaching to the playing to the school, all of that plays into your decision, and it will with our boys.”

Thompson said Race and the family did notice that Cretin-Derham Hall power forward Daniel Oturu, ranked 76th in Rivals.com’s Class of 2018, made a verbal commitment to the Gophers in January. Does he think there’s a chance Race could sign there as well?

“We don’t know, it’s still a bit early,” Thompson said. “And Daniel is a really, really good player, I’ve seen him play and my son has played against him a few times, so that is a great get for the University of Minnesota. I was excited about it.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...on-family-know-the-recruiting-game/415280284/

Go Gophers!!

How loud was it in the barn tonight? Do they ever chant the recruit's name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching this team now it has to be pretty enticing for a recruit to want to join this unselfish, hard-working bunch of happy guys

Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Recruiting, Reaction to Daniel Oturu Committing to Gophers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/773255?referrer_id=331171

Race Thompson, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number three prospect from Minnesota in the class. Thompson received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last year.

Thompson averaged 20.1 points and 8.9 rebounds per game this season for the Falcons, who finished 18-9, losing to crosstown rival Robbinsdale Copper 82-74 in the first round of the Section 6AAAA playoffs. He scored in double figures in all 27 games, including a season-best 36 points versus Totino-Grace and has had twelve more other games of 20 or more points and another contest of more than 30 points, scoring 33 in the playoff loss to Cooper.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thompson Wednesday as he watched the Class AAAA State Tournament to talk about the latest on his recruitment and junior season.

Gopher Hole: You are here watching the games at the state tournament. What is it going to take for Armstrong to be here next year?

Race Thompson: Just a lot of time in the gym. We are getting a new section, I think this next year, so we just have to come to this season prepared, ready to go and just be prepared to win the games and get here and take over the state tournament.

Gopher Hole: You had a really good regular season. Unfortunately, you played your big crosstown rival in the first round of the playoffs. What happened that night?

Race Thompson: I wouldn't say anything in particular. Our point guard got hurt, which was tough for us, but no excuses. We could still have won that game, but it is a rivalry game, so we both had a lot of energy coming into the game. They didn't have the best regular season. They wanted to beat us. We wanted to beat them and it was just a good game, all-around and they just came out on top.

Gopher Hole: Is getting knocked out a little earlier than you had hoped a motivating factor for the returnees next year?

Race Thompson: Oh, yes. It definitely is. We have already been in the gym a couple of times, getting ready for next year. Just trying to get better every day is the goal.

Gopher Hole: The next thing you are getting ready for is AAU season. What are the expectations? I know that you guys will have not only one of the better teams in the state, but in the Midwest.

Race Thompson: We definitely think that we have the best team in the country. We don't think that anyone can play with us. We are just going to go into all of our tournaments, The Gaunlet and play hard as we can and try to win every game we can.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really trying to work on now that the season is over to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Race Thompson: Just being able to be more versatile. Get more versatile than I already am. Just working on ball handling, shooting and all that other stuff.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college basketball games this season? I know it is tough with your own high school schedule.

Race Thompson: I went Baylor, Marquette, Iowa State, Northwestern. I went to Minnesota, of course.

Gopher Hole: How many Gopher games did you get a chance to make it to?

Race Thompson: I made it to two or three.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota was 8-23 last year, but were one of the most improved teams this season. Does that change how you look at them at all?

Race Thompson: To go to a bigger school, I'm not really looking how they are doing. I'm just trying to feel comfortable with where I am at. I want to feel at home. That is the main goal.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers got a commitment from another junior, Daniel Oturu. Do you know him very well?

Race Thompson: Me and Daniel talk a lot. I'm not going to say that is going to influence my decision, but it is cool to see one of my friends going there and that is definitely in the back of my mind when I make my decision.

Gopher Hole: Has he tried to work on you a little bit, though?

Race Thompson: A little bit as a joke, but he knows the process and knows what people look for in schools, so he knows that doing that is not really going to change anything.

Gopher Hole: When you finally pick a school. What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Race Thompson: I would say style of play. Where they see me playing and relationships.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Race Thompson: Eleven. (Nebraska, Iowa State, Baylor, Minnesota, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Arizona State, Marquette, Northwestern, Creighton and Kansas State.)
Gopher Hole: Any other schools besides those eleven that you are hearing from a lot?

Race Thompson: I hear from Butler, Michigan, Michigan State and Texas. That is all I can think of right now.

Gopher Hole: Do you watch the NCAA Tournament that much?

Race Thompson: Yes. I watch it.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe play in the NCAA Tournament?

Race Thompson: I think that I have a good chance of playing in the NCAA Tournament, if I pick my school. It would definitely be a cool thing because everybody in the country watches it. Everybody fills out a bracket, so that is definitely cool.

Gopher Hole: Did you fill out a bracket?

Race Thompson: No, I didn't.
Gopher Hole: Do you have a team that you would like to win?

Race Thompson: No. I don't really have a team. I just watch them.

Gopher Hole: When you watch college games, what do you watch for? Do you watch players who play your position or what do you watch?

Race Thompson: I would say that I watch the whole game, but I guess that I would say that I watch the game different now that I know what I am going to play, where I am going to play, so I probably just watch my position and style of play.

Gopher Hole: Next year, you are going to be a senior. Is that kind of weird?

Race Thompson: It is definitely weird. These past three years went super fast, so just try to make the most of my senior year.

Gopher Hole: What is it going to mean to play Division I basketball?

Race Thompson: It means a lot. I put a lot of work in and it is going to pay off one of these days, so that is the main thing.

Thompson has an in-home visit scheduled with Iowa State head coach on Wednesday. Currently ranked # 62 on 247 Composite.

Race is so important to the '18 class. Would really hurt to lose him

Perfect four year compliment in the frontcout to Oturu. Could learn from Murphy and Curry for a year and be ready to go for three. Could even go big with Washington, Coffey, Race, Curry and Oturu in three years. Course all bets are ff if we land the big Hurt in '19 as well

Perfect four year compliment in the frontcout to Oturu. Could learn from Murphy and Curry for a year and be ready to go for three. Could even go big with Washington, Coffey, Race, Curry and Oturu in three years. Course all bets are ff if we land the big Hurt in '19 as well

Murphy will be a senior, Curry a junior, and Coffey a junior, I am guessing Thompson will be a tough sell for the Gophers whether he is projected as a 3 or a 4.

I mentioned it in the general 2018 recruiting thread, there's a new Rivals 150 out, and Race Thompson is only a 3 star, ranked #117 which is much lower than where he's at on Scout and 247.

Murphy will be a senior, Curry a junior, and Coffey a junior, I am guessing Thompson will be a tough sell for the Gophers whether he is projected as a 3 or a 4.

Key part of my post was in three years when Murphy is gone. As a freshman it could be tough, ISU has talent, can't imagine he would waltz into that program either. A big guy who can stretch the floor will find playing time, especially on our roster, we don't have a guy that can bring what Race can.

I mentioned it in the general 2018 recruiting thread, there's a new Rivals 150 out, and Race Thompson is only a 3 star, ranked #117 which is much lower than where he's at on Scout and 247.

Thats funny, when I checked earlier this morning he was still at #87. Not anymore. He'll have a summer to change that though.

Key part of my post was in three years when Murphy is gone. As a freshman it could be tough, ISU has talent, can't imagine he would waltz into that program either. A big guy who can stretch the floor will find playing time, especially on our roster, we don't have a guy that can bring what Race can.

Yeah just looking at the depth chart he would be sitting in the same situation here as a freshman as he would at ISU. ISU's also hard after Ed Morrow the Nebraska transfer. Terrence Lewis should be an impact freshman at small forward for ISU. I actually wonder if either school is selling him on potentially redshirting because after what would be a year to bulk up a bit he's got star potential. He's really in an interesting situation.

Wonder what accounts for such a massive drop off - was his HS season that bad? From what I saw seemed like he was putting up decent numbers.

Edit: Thru Gopherhole interview in January he was averaging 21 & 9. Not seeing the drop from 4 to 3 star - not that it's a huge deal in grand scheme of things, just seems strange.

Top Bottom