All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

Evan Daniels of Scout said the staff legitimately preferred Thomas over Thompson. The staff called Thompson after they received a verbal from Thomas Sunday night. That is what caused Race to immediately announce his IU commitment. And you guys are right, the staff was never going to take both of them. They have Murphy and Curry right now and Oturu may end up being more of a 4. Then you have Matthew Hurt as a possibility next year. We don't need that many PFs and Race is never going to be a pure SF.

Thanks for the responses. Wasn't sure since we're losing a lot of big men next year. Can Fitzgerald play the 4 if needed? If not and we'd only have four frontcourt players in 2018.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot about the transfer from Louisville.

No one is questioning Thompson's parenting ability. He's a great guy and a strong representative for the U.

You are the one that said it's too bad he didn't have as much of an influence on his kids as you because yours ended up at the U!! Your words, not ours

Evan Daniels of Scout said the staff legitimately preferred Thomas over Thompson. The staff called Thompson after they received a verbal from Thomas Sunday night. That is what caused Race to immediately announce his IU commitment. And you guys are right, the staff was never going to take both of them. They have Murphy and Curry right now and Oturu may end up being more of a 4. Then you have Matthew Hurt as a possibility next year. We don't need that many PFs and Race is never going to be a pure SF.

Didn't Race announce at 5pm on Sunday? Reclassifying seems like such a huge decision.

"Oh crap, The U doesn't have a spot for me. Not only am I going to commit to another school right away, I'm going to reclassify too and redshirt"

Didn't Race announce at 5pm on Sunday? Reclassifying seems like such a huge decision.

"Oh crap, The U doesn't have a spot for me. Not only am I going to commit to another school right away, I'm going to reclassify too and redshirt"

He had probably already decided that if he went to Indiana he was going to reclassify and redshirt. His two best offers were Indiana and Minnesota, so once Thomas took his spot at Minnesota, he had no reason to wait on committing to Indiana.

You are the one that said it's too bad he didn't have as much of an influence on his kids as you because yours ended up at the U!! Your words, not ours

Just because I wished Darrell's love for the U would have led his kid to commit doesn't mean he's a "bad parent."

In June Race told all of the schools recruiting him that he was thinking about reclassifying. So it was a somewhat last second decision by Race, but obviously he had to have the credits to be able to make that decision, so it's something he has probably thought about for a long time. I'm not sure the schools pursuing him, prior to the June disclosure, had any idea it was a legit possibility though. And the part about Pitino calling Race to tell him about Thomas committing is legit, I think RJ spoke with direct sources on that one.

In June Race told all of the schools recruiting him that he was thinking about reclassifying. So it was a somewhat last second decision by Race, but obviously he had to have the credits to be able to make that decision, so it's something he has probably thought about for a long time. I'm not sure the schools pursuing him, prior to the June disclosure, had any idea it was a legit possibility though. And the part about Pitino calling Race to tell him about Thomas committing is legit, I think RJ spoke with direct sources on that one.

He wanted to reclassify because of his knee issues and wanted to get a year to rehab and acclimate to the college life. I coach one of his AAU teammates and am close friends with people involved with D1 MN

If you feel its sanctimonious to disagree with the idea that there's 'something going on' in the Thompson home because his kids went to a different school, be my guest. It remains ridiculous though.

No, you're on solid ground there. The sanctimony comes from the idiotic, irrational and pathetic part - you really took the high horse out of the barn. It was a pretty dumb thing to say anything about the Thompson's parenting but I'm guessing the poster was grappling with some disappointment and that's when stupid things are often said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wanted to reclassify because of his knee issues and wanted to get a year to rehab and acclimate to the college life. I coach one of his AAU teammates and am close friends with people involved with D1 MN

If he wanted to be 2017 class, then Gophers had 0% chance with zero scholarships to offer. Or am I missing something?

If he wanted to be 2017 class, then Gophers had 0% chance with zero scholarships to offer. Or am I missing something?

It wasn't in his original plans but I heard for a while that we were behind ISU & when Michigan & Indiana got involved we had 0 chance any way

It wasn't in his original plans but I heard for a while that we were behind ISU & when Michigan & Indiana got involved we had 0 chance any way

Hard to compete with Ames, Iowa. The sunrise over the the Bariila Pasta plant is a spectacular sight.

Shout out to Jarvis' dad for his solid parenting.

Attack? Use hyperbole much? Not only that but he essentially attacked the Thompson household. 'Something is going on in the Thompson Home'. That's bush league and ridiculous. If you want to defend claims that there's something wrong in a person's home because their children went to a different school , be my guest. I just think that says far more about you than the Thompsons

As for the 2nd paragraph, sorry but that's just stupid. I implied not a thing about on court expectations. That's ALL you reaching. Not only that but using 'well... fandom' as an excuse for stupidity will never be a thing I do. Fans threaten players, invade space, and make value judgements about people they know nothing about based on their play. I'm a human being far before I'm a fan so I'll never agree that its ok to question someone's parenting simply because their kid went to a different school. Its weak minded and dumb

Spot on. Absolutely ridiculous for so many pathetic fans on here actively hoping a kid has a worse life for picking the school he thought was best for him.

Spot on. Absolutely ridiculous for so many pathetic fans on here actively hoping a kid has a worse life for picking the school he thought was best for him.

...except not a single person has said this. I just went through all the comments again - one person said they hoped he failed in a purely basketball sense - which I think is fair game.

I think your weird generalization says way more about you than anything posted on this board and I'd recommend taking your smug sanctimony to an SEC board or somewhere where it's appropriate. If you can handle the Internet tough guys there, there'll be no stopping you on a future evangelical tour of message boards. Can I get an amen?

...except not a single person has said this. I just went through all the comments again - one person said they hoped he failed in a purely basketball sense - which I think is fair game.

I think your weird generalization says way more about you than anything posted on this board and I'd recommend taking your smug sanctimony to an SEC board or somewhere where it's appropriate. If you can handle the Internet tough guys there, there'll be no stopping you on a future evangelical tour of message boards. Can I get an amen?

+1

It's unbelievable how many people are going crazy defending the Thompson family on GH, Twitter, etc... from Gopher fans who made comments about Race and "bad parenting" ... I've seen like 2 or 3 semi-negative comments total and hundreds of comments/posts defending Race and his family. It's just weird to me that so many people feel the need to defend the Thompson's from one or two random keyboard warriors.

MountainMolehill.jpg

Hoping the kid doesn't succeed on the court because he is on a team who is our teams rival is literally an inescapable part of being a fan. Taking a stand against it is fine but this is kind of a strange place to do it, no? I'm sure there are other boards where people can share their fond hopes that every sports participant is a winner, games have no final scores, and everybody gets a ribbon and an orange slice but I hope you're not unduly surprised to find that this board is not one of them. And if you think we're harsh you may want to check on what the Indiana boards say about the gophers during and after games.

+1

It's unbelievable how many people are going crazy defending the Thompson family on GH, Twitter, etc... from Gopher fans who made comments about Race and "bad parenting" ... I've seen like 2 or 3 semi-negative comments total and hundreds of comments/posts defending Race and his family. It's just weird to me that so many people feel the need to defend the Thompson's from one or two random keyboard warriors.

View attachment 4976

Agreed. A couple (at most) people made stupid comments about parenting and people on Twitter went nuts accusing all of GH and Gopher fans as nutty and those people have made a way bigger deal about the issue than the original couple of comments.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. A couple (at most) people made stupid comments about parenting and people on Twitter went nuts accusing all of GH and Gopher fans as nutty and those people have made a way bigger deal about the issue than the original couple of comments.

Go Gophers!!

Exactly. It's been completely overblown.

I think a lot of it started from Damian Johnson saying something half jokingly, and then everyone jumping on board and being offended thinking everyone is mad at the parents. Although I love Nadine and Ron Johnson on Twitter and love their insights, they just added fuel to the fire and allowed more people to see this nonsense.

With Curry and Murphy on the roster in 2018 I always felt Thompson was a long shot, glad to get Thomas who might need a little more time to develop than Thompson but the roster really supports that scenario.

Glad he's not going to Madison, wish he weren't in the B1G though.

+1

View attachment 4976

Nailed it. The SWAT team got called in to break up another pillow fight.

Ran into D.T. last night. They made it clear in December that he was a 2017 recruit and when Archie got the IU job and made contact they were blown away. He had big time offers in IU and Michigan. Best of luck to such a nice kid and to be able to play for one of the best young coaches. Perhaps Thomas will be a better fit but the gophers would have loved Race in the 18 class. He was much more sought after and yet i love Thomas as a lock down defender.

Ran into D.T. last night. They made it clear in December that he was a 2017 recruit and when Archie got the IU job and made contact they were blown away. He had big time offers in IU and Michigan. Best of luck to such a nice kid and to be able to play for one of the best young coaches. Perhaps Thomas will be a better fit but the gophers would have loved Race in the 18 class. He was much more sought after and yet i love Thomas as a lock down defender.

So many passive-aggressive statements in here I lost count.

Maybe it was Thompson's injur(ies), but his stock was falling this spring/summer and Thomas' is rising. Thompson was most recently ranked around 115 in the 2018 class (3 star) by the people who have watched him the most, and reclassifying to 2017 would lower that ranking further. The Michigan offer was no longer committable (might never have been, as he was not their Plan A pf) and let's not kid ourselves, IU is a nice offer but this isn't the IU of glory days ... it's a rebuild and they have tons of scholarships to give right now. Thomas by comparison is still only 16 years old (I think turns 17 later this week) and basically is playing up a class, and I think is more likely to succeed in his role in college than Thompson is in his.

Geez...a "you guys sure lost out" post, builtbadger?
We di dnt have a spot. He wasn't going to get PT. We instead got one of the most athletic forwards to commit since Rodney Williams and a staff in place to develop his skills better than what Rodney was given.

Race is a good player. He wanted to leave. Pitino actually had Thomas graded higher than race. Jarvis is 15 months younger. These are the facts.

Isn't tonight Zoom night between Race and Coach Johnson?

Boom?

Top Bottom