All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

Well, that's the balancing act of fandom. We wouldn't care about ordinary students going elsewhere, but these aren't ordinary students. I think it's okay to be disappointed that our favorite team isn't getting a player who could help contribute to their future success. I understand the "these are just kids" brigade, but at the end of the day, sports fandom, especially in the university setting, is fairly illogical anyway. So I'm disappointed Race is going elsewhere. I'll be very happy that Jarvis is coming. Frankly, Jarvis's star seems more on the rise anyway, and I think he fits our system. But once Jarvis, Jamir Harris, or any other person puts on that maroon and gold, I support them and want them to succeed. And once Race Thompson puts on the crimson, or any other Minnesota kid puts on the uniform of another school, I oppose them and want them to fail (purely in a basketballing sense). That's the nature of it. It's a zero sum game. In order for my team to succeed, the other must fail.

Its one thing to be disappointed to not get a kid you wanted to play for your school. Its another thing entirely to question their upbringing because they didn't do what you wanted them to do. That is idiotic, irrational and pathetic and those that do are saying way more about their own character than the parenting skills of the Thompsons

The gloom and doom related to losing local recruits is being way overdone. We have been on a great journey over the past few years...went from not getting Tyus/Rashad/Reid to getting early commit from Oturu, very likely from Thomas and also like from Gabe (plus Amir, last year). A local 5 star (Tre or Matthew) would be nice...but the roster looks pretty solid for the next few years.

The gloom and doom related to losing local recruits is being way overdone. We have been on a great journey over the past few years...went from not getting Tyus/Rashad/Reid to getting early commit from Oturu, very likely from Thomas and also like from Gabe (plus Amir, last year). A local 5 star (Tre or Matthew) would be nice...but the roster looks pretty solid for the next few years.

I agree. It should be about getting the best fit and talent instead of focusing on getting local talent

My kids love the U because it's been part of their lives since they were born. Too bad former greats like Thompson don't have the same influence on their kids.

I grew up loving the U. Earned my MA there but I went elsewhere for undergrad. It isnt always so black and white. Still cheered for the gophs in college but we choose the path that is best for us at the end of the day.

. Agreed. Seriously, should we suspect that something is wrong with Harris and Washington for not staying in their home states?

The reclassify thing is odd. Wish him the best, hopefully he loses to Minnesota every year.

. Agreed. Seriously, should we suspect that something is wrong with Harris and Washington for not staying in their home states?

Well Washington wanted to go to Syracuse, but they never offered him. But I agree that the Thompsons not showing the U the same loyalty that say, the Barbers do, isn't indicative of bad parenting or anything. Even Coffey seemed like he came here for reasons other than just following in dad's footsteps.

The reclassify thing is odd. Wish him the best, hopefully he loses to Minnesota every year.

And Minnesota stands above Indiana in the standings each year. And dad goes to Gopher games sitting behind the Minnesota bench.

Well Washington wanted to go to Syracuse, but they never offered him. But I agree that the Thompsons not showing the U the same loyalty that say, the Barbers do, isn't indicative of bad parenting or anything. Even Coffey seemed like he came here for reasons other than just following in dad's footsteps.
why wouldn't they have offered him? Because of his early decision?

why wouldn't they have offered him? Because of his early decision?
If I recall correctly, Syracuse had two higher ranked point guards as their primary targets. I think they felt very good about Quade Green (or whatever his name is) and he eventually picked Kentucky instead.

I am a huge Gopher Fan, I always will be. With that said, unless Minnesota was NO QUESTION my best offer for Football or Basketball (think Northern Iowa vs. Minnesota), I would want to go somewhere else. I went to the U and have many friends that have played division sports at the U as well as at other schools, and I think it would be VERY VERY VERY DISTRACTING to play high-level division sports 15 minutes from where you grew up!

PLUS you have the pressure to perform because you're the hometown player
PLUS pressure to see all your family and friends who forget that you have a full-time job as a student and a athlete.

Every kid is different, but for me, I would've benefited from leaving the state. Playing in-state just seems very mentally and emotionally draining! But every athlete is different.

It bugs you that two kids good enough to play D1 sports and had tons of options chose to go elsewhere other than MN? That's a you problem, not a Thompson problem. Not every kid wants to stay 'home', not every kid wants to go to the same school as their parents, and not every kid roots for the same teams as their parents. Some fans need to take their fan glasses off and realize how silly that sounds. If these kids weren't athletes of note nobody would think twice about them going to different schools than their parents because where parents went to school usually has little bearing on the kids

1. I think it's pretty unreasonable for you to attack a Gopher fan for expressing disappointment and frustration that the kid of a Gopher legend -- a guy who was on the committee that chose the last athletic director for crissakes and is the current broadcaster for the #1 Gopher sport -- after being made a priority recruit for a long time, eschewed the Gophers for an in-conference competitor (one we beat least year and probably will beat again this year, and next year). It's odd and very disappointing.

2. You seem more interested in implying that our expectations should be low, and/or that the quality of player we are able to recruit doesn't directly correlate with the on-court or on-field success (and thus our enjoyment and pride as fans). If you're going to talk about being rational, a fan board for a college sport isn't the place to be, because as others have said, sports fandom is kind of inherently irrational. But the one thing that drives me crazy is Gopher "fans" who are ok with the status quo.

I understand wanting to get out from under the shadow of your father. I understand wanting to get away from home to go to school. I understand that kids today feel differently than a few years ago. But Indiana? I can't imagine the shame of stepping out onto the court at Williams Arena wearing anything but maroon and gold.

Cut Darrell Thompson some slack, please.

Just because he was a star here does not mean the U is a good fit for his kids. Race will have more opportunity playing at Indiana instead of being behind Murphy and Curry as a freshman. This much should be obvious. Sometimes other schools are just a better fit.

And don't forget having to be behind Jarvis Thomas too. No wonder race wants to go to a team where he won't have to compete for minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a huge Gopher Fan, I always will be. With that said, unless Minnesota was NO QUESTION my best offer for Football or Basketball (think Northern Iowa vs. Minnesota), I would want to go somewhere else. I went to the U and have many friends that have played division sports at the U as well as at other schools, and I think it would be VERY VERY VERY DISTRACTING to play high

Distracting, mentally & emotionally draining. I don't see it, I see the benefits near term while playing and long term after college far outweighing the downside.

I understand wanting to get out from under the shadow of your father. I understand wanting to get away from home to go to school. I understand that kids today feel differently than a few years ago. But Indiana? I can't imagine the shame of stepping out onto the court at Williams Arena wearing anything but maroon and gold.

Talk about shame, how about stepping onto the court at Williams Arena wearing those red and white striped warmups. Cue the clown music.

1. I think it's pretty unreasonable for you to attack a Gopher fan for expressing disappointment and frustration that the kid of a Gopher legend -- a guy who was on the committee that chose the last athletic director for crissakes and is the current broadcaster for the #1 Gopher sport -- after being made a priority recruit for a long time, eschewed the Gophers for an in-conference competitor (one we beat least year and probably will beat again this year, and next year). It's odd and very disappointing.

2. You seem more interested in implying that our expectations should be low, and/or that the quality of player we are able to recruit doesn't directly correlate with the on-court or on-field success (and thus our enjoyment and pride as fans). If you're going to talk about being rational, a fan board for a college sport isn't the place to be, because as others have said, sports fandom is kind of inherently irrational. But the one thing that drives me crazy is Gopher "fans" who are ok with the status quo.

Yeah I got quite a bit of sanctimony from oleboy's post - there is some shaming going on there. While, broadly speaking, he is correct, we can't forget that the derivation of fan is from fanatic. We're geared to be emotional.

I get that Race made the best decision for himself, but my first instinct was to knee him in the groin and then shake his hand. It's ok to be pissed off about his, just need to vent and get over it and hope we crush the Hosers - er, Hoosiers.

On a positive note - it's refreshing to hear Oturu wanting to represent the home state. I think that could be emphasized more to counteract some of the negativity about decisions like this.

This thread has really gone in an idiotic direction.

Let's move on. We got a very talented in-state forward recruit that we want and that wants us. Who cares about Indiana's recruiting no matter where they are from. If you want to talk about Race, I'm sure IU has a message board.

Attack? Use hyperbole much? Not only that but he essentially attacked the Thompson household. 'Something is going on in the Thompson Home'. That's bush league and ridiculous. If you want to defend claims that there's something wrong in a person's home because their children went to a different school , be my guest. I just think that says far more about you than the Thompsons

As for the 2nd paragraph, sorry but that's just stupid. I implied not a thing about on court expectations. That's ALL you reaching. Not only that but using 'well... fandom' as an excuse for stupidity will never be a thing I do. Fans threaten players, invade space, and make value judgements about people they know nothing about based on their play. I'm a human being far before I'm a fan so I'll never agree that its ok to question someone's parenting simply because their kid went to a different school. Its weak minded and dumb

Yeah I got quite a bit of sanctimony from oleboy's post - there is some shaming going on there. While, broadly speaking, he is correct, we can't forget that the derivation of fan is from fanatic. We're geared to be emotional.

I get that Race made the best decision for himself, but my first instinct was to knee him in the groin and then shake his hand. It's ok to be pissed off about his, just need to vent and get over it and hope we crush the Hosers - er, Hoosiers.

On a positive note - it's refreshing to hear Oturu wanting to represent the home state. I think that could be emphasized more to counteract some of the negativity about decisions like this.

If you feel its sanctimonious to disagree with the idea that there's 'something going on' in the Thompson home because his kids went to a different school, be my guest. It remains ridiculous though.

Not all kids want to stay home for college and they shouldn't be hated for that. As a gopher fan, am I disappointed? Sure - but he is allowed to go wherever he wants.

When I was a kid, I didn't want to stay home for college and I'm glad I left Wisconsin for Minnesota! Only difference is that I'm not an athlete, so nobody gave a sh*t.

No one is questioning Thompson's parenting ability. He's a great guy and a strong representative for the U.

Would we have taken both Thompson and Thomas? Or was this a case of the first one who commits gets the scholarship?

Would we have taken both Thompson and Thomas? Or was this a case of the first one who commits gets the scholarship?

It was an either or...I've heard from people within the D1 MN organization that Race has bad knee issues and he is reclassifying to get a year of rehab with college athletic trainers.

doubtful. They're different players but both are essentially pure 4's though Race could maybe play the 3 in a pinch offensively while Jarvis can definitely guard the 3 defensively.

Top Bottom