All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

I commented in the Race Thompson Q&A thread that it sounded like he was gone. Take a look at his answer when asked about the Gophers:

I know that I am a priority for the Gophers, so I am definitely going to try to take another visit here after AAU season. It is pretty much like the same message everywhere. I'll fit the playing style perfectly good. I would be able to play my game. Take the ball to the court. Pass. Shoot. Shoot threes and not just stuck in the post.

and then Indiana:

That campus is a really nice campus. Good school. Great facilities. I like the new coaching staff a lot. Even with a new coach (Archie Miller) I think they’re still going to be a top team in the Big Ten. They’re pretty much always tough to beat and have some of the best fans in the country. I don’t think the culture will really change. Playing in front of that many people I don’t think you can’t (be excited).

This is a guy looking to go elsewhere. I think our recent offer to Jarvis is evidence we are ready to move on if he continues to soft pedal us. And I'm fine with that.

Saw Jarvis is a composite four star on 247. Seems like between the big four there are over 200 different four stars, is this just a deep class or are the rankings more laxed now. Seems like there are twice as many now

Saw Jarvis is a composite four star on 247. Seems like between the big four there are over 200 different four stars, is this just a deep class or are the rankings more laxed now. Seems like there are twice as many now

He's a 4 star in as a composite but not a single one of the individual rankings have him as a 4 star. Doesn't make much sense.

For all we know Thomas told the staff he was committing and they then told Race he didn't have a spot.

IDK seems pointless to reclassify and redshirt. I get getting a kid in the program but being the son of a pro football player I think Race understands the work ethic hell need and has resources most don't. Might as well let him okay IMO

IDK seems pointless to reclassify and redshirt. I get getting a kid in the program but being the son of a pro football player I think Race understands the work ethic hell need and has resources most don't. Might as well let him okay IMO

From a basketball and academic standpoint it's far better to get to school next year. The only reason not to is if he just loved high school and wanted to finish his senior year. Of course he may have been planning to do this for a while and already treated last year as his last year. But he'll have a year to work on his game, get in a college S&C program, get acclimated to school, etc.

Looks like this is maybe the reason why he didn't pick us.

It seems like the right move for his development. Race has a lot of potential but he hasn't really made the jump you would expect between his junior and senior year. He gets a year to adjust to college life while learning from far superior coaches. Indiana always made more sense as he will play early and often. Not sure that would have been the case here.

Just maybe wanted to get away from home and not be under the microscope in comparison to his dad. Just saying....

Good for Race excited to hopefully land Thomas.
Don't you have to graduate from high school before you go to college? How can he earky enroll after his junior year of high school. I could care less about a Minnesota kid who turns his back on the U. I hope he falls flat on his face at Indiana. I am pumped for Jarvis.

Don't you have to graduate from high school before you go to college? How can he earky enroll after his junior year of high school. I could care less about a Minnesota kid who turns his back on the U. I hope he falls flat on his face at Indiana. I am pumped for Jarvis.

He is taking extra classes this summer to get the credits to graduate early. It's somewhat common for very high end hockey players to do this.

From a basketball and academic standpoint it's far better to get to school next year. The only reason not to is if he just loved high school and wanted to finish his senior year. Of course he may have been planning to do this for a while and already treated last year as his last year. But he'll have a year to work on his game, get in a college S&C program, get acclimated to school, etc.

Maybe all this is a grand master plan to finish college at Indiana early and then he finishes out a fifth year of college ball at Minnesota as a grad transfer

If they don't go to Hopkins, I just assume they aren't coming to the U from the start. Then if they do come I can be pleasantly surprised. Hopkins kids are the only guys I really expect to get at this point.

Richard Coffey > alumnus than Darrell Thompson.

The only thing Richard Coffey has on Darrel Thompson is that he played basketball. Darrel Thompson was a much better college football player than Richard Coffey was a basketball player.

That said, I don't know that the "microscope" is any greater for a Thompson kid than Coffey kid. Yet, having a kid similar in age, it is very difficult to figure out Day to say what is driving a college decision. Each kid has what they are uniquely looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. Something is going on in the Thompson Home. Two good players from the Thompson family have gone elsewhere. Out due to Darrell's limelight? Its been years since he has played here. That shouldn't be an issue now. Younger people don't know who is he is. It bugs me.

Based on what I've read, Thomas seems to be on the rise as a prospect - at least he seems to be getting more kudos from the people who follow the AAU scene closely. Thompson looks like he could be a solid player. Thomas might - I say might - have more upside. Only time will tell.

I don't know. Something is going on in the Thompson Home. Two good players from the Thompson family have gone elsewhere. Out due to Darrell's limelight? Its been years since he has played here. That shouldn't be an issue now. Younger people don't know who is he is. It bugs me.

It bugs you that two kids good enough to play D1 sports and had tons of options chose to go elsewhere other than MN? That's a you problem, not a Thompson problem. Not every kid wants to stay 'home', not every kid wants to go to the same school as their parents, and not every kid roots for the same teams as their parents. Some fans need to take their fan glasses off and realize how silly that sounds. If these kids weren't athletes of note nobody would think twice about them going to different schools than their parents because where parents went to school usually has little bearing on the kids

He is taking extra classes this summer to get the credits to graduate early. It's somewhat common for very high end hockey players to do this.

Not common, but it's happened. Those guys don't redshirt though.

It bugs you that two kids good enough to play D1 sports and had tons of options chose to go elsewhere other than MN? That's a you problem, not a Thompson problem. Not every kid wants to stay 'home', not every kid wants to go to the same school as their parents, and not every kid roots for the same teams as their parents. Some fans need to take their fan glasses off and realize how silly that sounds. If these kids weren't athletes of note nobody would think twice about them going to different schools than their parents because where parents went to school usually has little bearing on the kids

+1

My kids love the U because it's been part of their lives since they were born. Too bad former greats like Thompson don't have the same influence on their kids.

Well, that's the balancing act of fandom. We wouldn't care about ordinary students going elsewhere, but these aren't ordinary students. I think it's okay to be disappointed that our favorite team isn't getting a player who could help contribute to their future success. I understand the "these are just kids" brigade, but at the end of the day, sports fandom, especially in the university setting, is fairly illogical anyway. So I'm disappointed Race is going elsewhere. I'll be very happy that Jarvis is coming. Frankly, Jarvis's star seems more on the rise anyway, and I think he fits our system. But once Jarvis, Jamir Harris, or any other person puts on that maroon and gold, I support them and want them to succeed. And once Race Thompson puts on the crimson, or any other Minnesota kid puts on the uniform of another school, I oppose them and want them to fail (purely in a basketballing sense). That's the nature of it. It's a zero sum game. In order for my team to succeed, the other must fail.

Archie Miller. ...

is killing it on the recruiting circuit. 3 commits in the last 24 hours.

My kids love the U because it's been part of their lives since they were born. Too bad former greats like Thompson don't have the same influence on their kids.

So basically they've been brainwashed into following your favorite team and its too bad that everyone doesn't do the same. Got it.

Top Bottom