All Things Race Thompson Recruitment Thread - Class of 2018, Gophers Have Offered

Tre is still listed at 55 on 247... quite the chasm. Again, not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just hard to understand disconnect. From footage I've seen he sure looks like a top 20 / 5 star type player.

Tre is still listed at 55 on 247... quite the chasm. Again, not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, just hard to understand disconnect. From footage I've seen he sure looks like a top 20 / 5 star type player.

He's 55 in the composite, just one spot ahead of Oturu, but he's 16 in 247's own rankings, which is making me wonder how the composite works.

He's 55 in the composite, just one spot ahead of Oturu, but he's 16 in 247's own rankings, which is making me wonder how the composite works.

I don't think 247 have updated their composite with these new Scout rankings (they seem pretty slow on basketball in general) and Tre isn't even ranked in ESPN's top 60 which is why he's probably at 55.

per Shama:

Race Thompson, the highly recruited Armstrong basketball player, leaves today for the prestigious NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Virginia. Thompson, who will be a senior at Armstrong next season, reportedly isn’t close to selecting a college from a list that includes the Gophers.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Race Thompson, the highly recruited Armstrong basketball player, leaves today for the prestigious NBPA Top 100 Camp in Charlottesville, Virginia. Thompson, who will be a senior at Armstrong next season, reportedly isn’t close to selecting a college from a list that includes the Gophers.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

There's a decent possibility we might be full by the time Race is ready to make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a decent possibility we might be full by the time Race is ready to make a decision.

I mean, I suppose it's possible but they look fully committed to taking a PF in this class and he's their top target. It's not like any of the other 4's we're after are breaking down the door trying to commit.

I mean, I suppose it's possible but they look fully committed to taking a PF in this class and he's their top target. It's not like any of the other 4's we're after are breaking down the door trying to commit.

I'd be more sure of them taking a PF if they had five open schollies but It's clear they want Kalscheur and with visits from Hunter and Johnson coming up they'd likely take one of them too. With one remaining scholarship and an impending visit from Thomas (offer impending?) and Tre being a slight but distinct possibility, you can see how the last scholarship might go elsewhere.

I'd be more sure of them taking a PF if they had five open schollies but It's clear they want Kalscheur and with visits from Hunter and Johnson coming up they'd likely take one of them too. With one remaining scholarship and an impending visit from Thomas (offer impending?) and Tre being a slight but distinct possibility, you can see how the last scholarship might go elsewhere.

I'd don't think they take two of Kalscheur, Hunter and Johnson unless they feel like Hunter is a good enough combo guard to be the PG in this class. I think they take one PG, one wing (SG/SF), a PF and Oturu. I don't ultimately think Thomas gets offered and Jake Forrester hasn't expressed a ton of interest in visiting yet so I think Race still has some time. Could be wrong though, maybe they'd take two wings but I think they'll ultimately hold out for Race a bit longer.

I'd don't think they take two of Kalscheur, Hunter and Johnson unless they feel like Hunter is a good enough combo guard to be the PG in this class. I think they take one PG, one wing (SG/SF), a PF and Oturu. I don't ultimately think Thomas gets offered and Jake Forrester hasn't expressed a ton of interest in visiting yet so I think Race still has some time. Could be wrong though, maybe they'd take two wings but I think they'll ultimately hold out for Race a bit longer.

With Fitzgerald getting an extra year(maybe actually a SF?), Murphy back Curry back Orturu in, and Stockman in to help at center next year I think minutes in the post will be hard to come by.

Given our roster for 2018, I think we are in a unique position, for college, where we can take the best talent available no matter the position. However, it would be nice to add a PG, a wing and a PF or center with our last 3 spots for balance and beyond that year.

I don't want to derail the thread but talking about scholarships, it seems that the interest for a true wing/SF/3 man, whatever you want to call it is basically null now with Fitzgerald getting a sixth year. K Johnson is the only 3 we've been after but that seems to have cooled off recently too.

That's why I say it's become obvious they're going to take a 4 and Race is at the top of that pecking order. Forester doesn't seem overly interested, LeBlanc has been mentioned (that's jim I think he's a PF in college) but it's not like he's gonna commit anytime soon and Thomas doesn't have an offer.

They're going to take someone capable of playing PG and they look like they'll take an off guard as well. There's 3 of the 4 spots and that is why I think Race has a spot open until he decides

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Nice to see the Gophers have offers out to 3 of the top 5 guys on this list! The top two guys are highly-rated 4-stars as well. Really good company!

4* PF Brandon Johns just committed to Michigan which probably takes them out of the Race Thompson sweepstakes. Safe money would probably be on MN, IU and ISU at this point.

Marcus Q&A with Oturu:

ON TRYING TO GET RACE THOMPSON TO JOIN HIM: “Race is also one of my good buddies. I’m really close with a lot of players in our class. I’m good friends with all of them. We all love to compete against each other. We all know it’s just a game and we want what’s best for each other.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-summer-and-recruiting-for-pitino/431686313/

Go Gophers!!

Yea, the Jarvis offer seemed to be a pretty clear signal that Race is looking to greener pastures. He'd be a great local recruit to get, but I prefer the guys what want to be here above all else. If his heart isn't in it and feels like he needs to get outside of the state for school then good luck to him (preferably to a non-B10 school).

Yea, the Jarvis offer seemed to be a pretty clear signal that Race is looking to greener pastures.

That or it was kind of a pressure play in terms of letting him know that we could go in a separate direction and he's going to have to make a decision by the end of the summer, i.e. we can't wait until November for his choice. Regardless, I don't think Race is sweating it. He'll take his time. He knows he's the top priority here but like you all, I get the feeling Race isn't super interested in staying here.

That or it was kind of a pressure play in terms of letting him know that we could go in a separate direction and he's going to have to make a decision by the end of the summer, i.e. we can't wait until November for his choice. Regardless, I don't think Race is sweating it. He'll take his time. He knows he's the top priority here but like you all, I get the feeling Race isn't super interested in staying here.

Yep agreed - no matter what the motivation, you don't put out competitive offer to the same position if you think a kid is a lock. Fingers crossed.

Per Marcus: Could Gophers target Race Thompson be deciding soon?

Thompson, a four-star forward in the 2018 class, said Indiana, Minnesota and Iowa State have been recruiting him the hardest. Michigan is now out of the picture, he said after taking a commitment from another power forward recently.

Could a decision be coming soon for one of the state’s top prospects?

The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Thompson opens play Thursday in the Adidas Gauntlet Finale with D1 Minnesota in Spartanburg, S.C. Thompson said he could make a decision right after his AAU season concludes, which is after the Adidas Championships July 26-30 in Las Vegas.

“I’ll make my decision sometime after the AAU season, but I’m not sure when exactly,” he told the Star Tribune on Wednesday. “I’m not sure if I’ll take an official visit to (Minnesota and Iowa State), because I’ve already been there.”

The only official trip that Thompson has made so far is to Indiana in June. He also made an unofficial to Michigan last month. Thompson downplayed the significance of the Hoosiers being the only official so far, but he really was impressed with their campus in Bloomington.

“It was an official just because it was easier,” Thompson said. “I wasn’t going to take an unofficial and then come back again and take an official. So we just changed it. … That campus is a really nice campus. Good school. Great facilities. I like the new coaching staff a lot. Even with a new coach (Archie Miller) I think they’re still going to be a top team in the Big Ten. They’re pretty much always tough to beat and have some of the best fans in the country. I don’t think the culture will really change. Playing in front of that many people I don’t think you can’t (be excited).”

http://www.startribune.com/could-gophers-target-race-thompson-be-deciding-soon/434347943/

Go Gophers!!

After reading that post, sure would be excited if I were a Hoosier fan. Hopefully he recognizes how much fun it would be to pair up with Oturu in the front court.

Darrell Thompson's son can't go to another school...

If he made an unofficial change to official at Indiana could that be a polite way of saying thanks Indiana for the attention but no thanks?

After reading that post, sure would be excited if I were a Hoosier fan. Hopefully he recognizes how much fun it would be to pair up with Oturu in the front court.

Yeah it seems like he's a pretty solid IU lean. Thomas may actually make more sense for the Gophers in the long run especially if you can redshirt him. He's looked a Jordan Murphy clone on the AAU circuit.

Darrell Thompson's son can't go to another school...

Yes and his daughter went to Wisconsin as indicated in an earlier post. Wonder whats going on in the Thompson's Household? U and Radio have treated the family well.

This summer, Thomas has inched closer and closer in the rankings to Race. But also, I think Thomas would be a much better compliment to Matthew Hurt. Race Thompson is more of an offensive player who needs his touches, while Thomas is more of a junk yard, defensive guy. With Matthew Hurt being such a great offensive player, Thomas would be a great fit and make it easer to land Hurt. Just my opinion.

Yes and his daughter went to Wisconsin as indicated in an earlier post. Wonder whats going on in the Thompson's Household? U and Radio have treated the family well.

His wife played Volleyball at Iowa.

FWIW, RJ doesn't think Minnesota has much of a shot. On the positive he thinks Minnesota is a strong leader for Thomas who will also be deciding soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom