WBB: Gopher v Northwestern @ Williams-B1G Game 7 (1/20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Nia Coffey and the Wildcats Return to Williams Arena:

With Nia Coffey returning from an ankle injury Northwestern, fell to Maryland 80-62. The Wildcats had a rotten shooting day (36.6% from the field and 11.1% from three). And they were out rebounded 52-31. Defensively, Northwestern defended the post and gave up threes. The Terps Kristen Confrey thanked them by going 8-12 from behind the arc including hitting her first seven attempts.

Four of Northwestern’s starters play more than 35 minutes/game in the Big Ten. The Wildcats have faced a stiff B1G schedule; but caused their own problems by starting the season with a loss at Penn State. Nevertheless, they do have that win over Ohio State in Evanston.

B1G Wins: Nebraska (85-62) and Ohio State (86-82)
B1G Losses: @Penn State (79-72), Purdue (85-71), @Michigan State (74-51), @ Maryland (80-62)

OF NOTE: Ashley Deary leads the B1G with 4.2 steals per game. Kelsey Mitchell (OSU) is second with 2.8. As a team the Wildcats average 9 swipes per conference game (second best in the B1G).

Last Season: Minnesota’s 22 turnovers contributed to a very lackluster 70-49 defeat in Evanston. Coffey (12 points and 12 rebounds), Inman (20 points) and Lyon (16 Points).

Probable Starters-Conference Stats:

F Nia Coffey 20.3 points/game 9.7 rebounds
G Maggie Lyon 17.0
G Christen Inman 15.5
G Ashley Deary 10.0
F Pallas Kunaiya-Akpanah 2.7

Teams seem to have their best shooting games against the Gophers, so we can't rely on NW having a rotten shooting day. If NW wants to concentrate their defense on the post that's fine with me. The Gophs will just have to hit their threes. Let's get 50+ pts from the Banham-Wagner tandem.

Good win for our Lady Gophers over Northwestern 95-92.

So what are the odds for the ladies to make the tourney. Looking in or out right now?

Now that was some heart pounding buckets with two of the sports best players playing their asses off.

It’s hard to pick out the play of the night; but if it wasn’t Banham’s steal and break away score giving the Gophers a three point with about 2 minutes remaining (my choice), then it was Carlies’s driving bank shot with about a minute to play returning the Gophers to a three point lead. Or, of course, the foul shots by Wagner, Bailey and Hedstrom.

Damn, there were some exhausted players. But at the end the right team was celebrating 95-92.

How about the three point shot by Banham on the logo?

Not a very smart shot, but when it goes in, it's hard to complain.

Took down a recently-ranked ranked team. That should help the old rpi

Now that was some heart pounding buckets with two of the sports best players playing their asses off.

It’s hard to pick out the play of the night; but if it wasn’t Banham’s steal and break away score giving the Gophers a three point with about 2 minutes remaining (my choice), then it was Carlies’s driving bank shot with about a minute to play returning the Gophers to a three point lead. Or, of course, the foul shots by Wagner, Bailey and Hedstrom.

Damn, there were some exhausted players. But at the end the right team was celebrating 95-92.

I enjoyed the above plays but have to go with Banham's 3 from 5' inside the 1/2 court. That shot demoralized NW as they saw there is really no shot she can't make plus she shot it like a regular silky smooth 3. The NW fans in front of me turned and asked " where is she from?" They were even more surprised when I said Lakeville, MN. I also reminded them one of their stars is from MN. Richard Coffey was making the meet/ greet rounds @ the barn. Big win for the team but I am not sure they get to 10 wins because of how balanced the Big is this year.

Match-up of the night:

Banham: 12-24 from the field (6-10 behind the arc), 2-2 from the line for 32 points and 4 rebounds
Coffey: 10-17 from the field (3-4 behind the arc) 4-5 from the line for 27 points and 4 rebounds.

Both Banham (30 minutes) and Coffey (27 minutes) spent time on the bench with foul trouble

Starters (Stollings seems to have settled on a lineup):

Lamke
Banham
Starr
Bailey
Wagner

Minutes Played (Once again, Hedstrom spent some time at center):

36 Wagner 23 points
30 Banham 32 points
30 Bailey
27 Hedstrom
26 Starr 9 rebounds
25 Mullaney 14 points
16 Barnes
8 Edwards
2 Lamke

Of Note: Johnson was in uniform but did not participate in warm-ups. Transfer Bryanna Fernstrom was with the team.

I enjoyed the above plays but have to go with Banham's 3 from 5' inside the 1/2 court. That shot demoralized NW as they saw there is really no shot she can't make plus she shot it like a regular silky smooth 3. The NW fans in front of me turned and asked " where is she from?" They were even more surprised when I said Lakeville, MN. I also reminded them one of their stars is from MN. Richard Coffey was making the meet/ greet rounds @ the barn. Big win for the team but I am not sure they get to 10 wins because of how balanced the Big is this year.

Banham’s three had the cool factor. It was the second of back to back long threes by Rachel. Nia Coffey answered both with back to back threes of her own. It was fun to watch. Another cool play was the Mullaney to Wagner alley-oop in the first half.

Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan are the next three games, so I'm feeling pretty confident about the Gophers having either 6 or 7 wins by the end of January.

I see the Gophers' rpi shot up 18 pts after the win last night. Let's keep the winning going!

Nebraska shot up 19 after the win over Purdue. I think we can take Neb at our house. They're tough to beat at their own.

I see the Gophers' rpi shot up 18 pts after the win last night. Let's keep the winning going!

Nebraska shot up 19 after the win over Purdue. I think we can take Neb at our house. They're tough to beat at their own.

The Husker's post, Jessica Shepard, is fun to watch-she's farther along than Amanda was as a Freshman. Shepard loves to run and lead the break; but a 95 point Gopher outburst may be more running than she can handle. I haven't watched the Nebraska win at Purdue yet; but I see Shepard had 9 turnovers-hopefully there's something there for the Gophers to irritate.

Top Bottom