On side kicks

#2Gopher

Reaction score
After watching the pros miss all weekend in their attempt to make an onside kick. I don't feel so bad. However I will admit we do need to give our guys a better chance to fall on it.

Th new rules have virtually eliminated a chance to recover. Apparently 10,000 concussions happen every year due to OSK...

The pros can actually kick it inbounds and give their team a chance.

The pros can actually kick it inbounds and give their team a chance.

That's what I was alluding to. In college, all members of the receiving team can actually call a fair catch the second the ball is licked and the kicking team has to lay off. Waiting for that one.

Yeah... Gopher onside kick attempts this season seemed to continually take the shortest fastest route straight out of bounds. Once was sad. Over and over was maddening.

Yeah... Gopher onside kick attempts this season seemed to continually take the shortest fastest route straight out of bounds. Once was sad. Over and over was maddening.

100%! Our onside kicks sucked. At least keep it in play so there is a chance we can recover it. Hopefully that is one of the things the special teams works on.

Th new rules have virtually eliminated a chance to recover. Apparently 10,000 concussions happen every year due to OSK...

The new rules didn't prevent us from kicking it 10 yards.

Alabama's was a beauty. Brilliant plan and execution but only works in a surprise situation.

That said, most coaches show an insane lack of imagination and use the same sideline bouncing kick over and over. What they should be doing is similar to what Alabama did. Find a space and make it a one on one (or small group) battle for the ball. Once in a blue moon use the kick where you drill it straight at the closest guy.

I agree that our onside kicks were awful. A random high school kicker could do a better job.

Different situation. That was a surprise onside. Clemson wouldn't have lined up like that if they new Alabama was going to try an onside.

I would think that Clemson's special teams coach would be in some hot water, though. All game, I had noticed how they were too bunched up and left too much of the opposite side of the field open. They gave up a couple of long returns because of it and also opened the door for the onside kick.

I think OSK is one area that needs to be worked- big time. Granted, the odds of recovery are against the kicking team generally, but they are
0% if the ball does not go 10 yards. It was frustrating, time and again the last two years, when the Gophers would all but forfeit games at the end
by not kicking it ten yards.

That's what I was alluding to. In college, all members of the receiving team can actually call a fair catch the second the ball is licked and the kicking team has to lay off. Waiting for that one.

Only if the kicker doesn't kick it into the ground. Captain Kirk's rule change only stipulated that these kicks are reviewable to ensure no kicking team blockers contact the receiving team players until the ball has traveled 10 yards.

It's tough to get that perfect pop to the ball and target a player with stone hands, and get down the field simultaneously to hit the receiver at the same time the ball arrives, after 10 yards. It is not supposed to be easy, but our onside kicks have been borderline embarrassing. Santoso has to be getting coached to do it a certain way..I hopetney bring in some fresh ideas.

I dunno, of all the things to worry about, I'd rate on-side kick recovery about 100th on the list. Keep the o-line healthy and recruit better on the d-line and we might not need to worry ;)

I dunno, of all the things to worry about, I'd rate on-side kick recovery about 100th on the list. Keep the o-line healthy and recruit better on the d-line and we might not need to worry ;)

Exactly. Have a lead at the end of the game and you don't need to worry about an onside kick.

Not true. If ball hits ground twice you can't fair catch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. Have a lead at the end of the game and you don't need to worry about an onside kick.

Most people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Our P5-caliber kicker and coaches can do better. A lot better.

That is analogous to saying it doesn't matter if a punter can get air under his kicks, or if a defense can get stops. " we'll, just score more points. Duh."

Most people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Our P5-caliber kicker and coaches can do better. A lot better.

That is analogous to saying it doesn't matter if a punter can get air under his kicks, or if a defense can get stops. " we'll, just score more points. Duh."

How many punts occur in a year compared to onside kicks? Totally different.

I'd stop digging if I were you.

What is that supposed to mean? Punting is an important part of every game. Onside kicks may happen a few times or less each season. Maybe you want to recheck the definition of analogous?

If you're relying on onside kicks, you've likely already lost.

What is that supposed to mean? Punting is an important part of every game. Onside kicks may happen a few times or less each season. Maybe you want to recheck the definition of analogous?

If you're relying on onside kicks, you've likely already lost.

No offense, but that is terrible rationalizing. Every play matters. If your argument is that it is ok our onside kick scheme is terribly flawed I vehemently disagree. Yes these kicks only work perhaps 20 percent of the time, but the way they are coaching it our chances are far worse and could cost us a game every few years. Usually a tight game that can go either way.

I don't know, I guess I expect perfection, or at least an effort towards achieving that. I'm sure most coaches would agree.

After watching the pros miss all weekend in their attempt to make an onside kick. I don't feel so bad. However I will admit we do need to give our guys a better chance to fall on it.

They almost never work, pro or college. Kind of like "icing the kicker."

Top Bottom